PDA

View Full Version : Me or modeler?

talkfist
03-20-2007, 01:57 PM
I've made an object that I want to modify with additional parts using another object previously made.

I load object 1 into layer 1.

I then try to load object 2 into layer two and it goes into layer one and object one dissappears completely.

I delete object 2 and try to reload object and it asks me if I want to discard changes that were never made to object 1. It doesn't matter if I say yes or no to discard changes object one will not appear again until I restart modeler.

What am I doing wrong- I've just started using LW again but this seems crazy to me.

Both objects will laod correctly into layout. Can you not load objects into separate layers in Modeler?

Surrealist.
03-20-2007, 02:54 PM
There is a "Load Object into Layer". You can look for it in Utilities/Additional.

If it is not in that list open Edit/Edit Menu Layout and try to search for it. It will show up on the left panel. You can then assign it to a button on the right panel by draging it. If you go to the right panel you can see how it is laid out. If you click on a selection it will highlight where it is on the interface. Great way to learn where things go. You can play with it and you'll see how things work. Just drag something over and you can add it. You could as an example add it to the file drop down list.

talkfist
03-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks, I found it under the utilities/plug-ins/additional. Why in Zeus is this buried so deeply in the interface. Seems like it is something one would use all the time.

:thumbsdow Nothing like intuitive GUIs!

spec24
03-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks, I found it under the utilities/plug-ins/additional. Why in Zeus is this buried so deeply in the interface. Seems like it is something one would use all the time.

:thumbsdow Nothing like intuitive GUIs!

Welcome to the club :)

Surrealist.
03-21-2007, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=talkfist]Thanks, I found it under the utilities/plug-ins/additional. Why in Zeus is this buried so deeply in the interface. Seems like it is something one would use all the time. [QUOTE]

I never use it because most all of my objects have more than one layer. I am used to just using my Layers Pannel (F7) to keep things orginized between objects and just copy and paste. That is the beauty of being able to configure your own layout based on what you use most.

Here's my bottom screen. I have it configured based on how I want things visible and handy all the time.

bob anderson
03-21-2007, 01:26 PM
You can load multiple objects at once and copy and past individual layers between the objects. IE: select layer 1 of object 2 and paste into layer 7 of object one.

Bob Anderson

talkfist
03-21-2007, 02:32 PM
I've obviously got a ton of things to learn in refining my work flow but usually only get a couple of hours at a time in Modeler. Wish I had never stopped using LW a while back!

Maxx
03-22-2007, 07:58 AM
talkfist - sounds like you're used to the single document setup of LW 5.6 and lower. No longer the case - there's a dropdown in the upper right of the interface that'll let you swap between open objects (the one with the current object name in it). You could also keep your layers window open - that'll show all open objects and allow immediate access to any one of their layers.

talkfist
03-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Yes, I was a very early user of LW, mostly for video use, commercial logos, but I think I understand the basic modeler gui structure and have watched the tutorials a number of times now. I must be missing a finesse step or two somewhere though in how different objects can be loaded into separate layers- using the tip earlier in the thread I have solved my immediate problem. I'm just going to have to printout sections of the manual and study more because my knowledge is fairly 1-D at the moment. Thanks for the various inputs on the thread.