PDA

View Full Version : Real-time ray-tracing

DMarkwick
03-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Caught this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6457951.stm) piece on the development of real-time ray tracing in games. The holy piss-pot of 3D graphical techniques rendering Quake in real time :)

Exciting times ahead.

mattclary
03-20-2007, 08:43 AM
OK, not sure where to start my nit-picks with this article... They speak of raytracing as something kind of new, and they seem to confuse raytracing with radiosity.

There has been work going on for a while to use GPUs to do the heavy lifting in renders. I think XSI and/or Maya have the capability to use GPUs when rendering... Is it Renderman...?

Not coming down on you, DMarkwick, this article is just really poorly written.

DMarkwick
03-20-2007, 09:31 AM
this article is just really poorly written.

Yes it is, as these sorts of articles always are when read by people that have a clue, but as a general overview of the work produced it excites the gaming part of me :) the other application of this of course is in real-time editing of ray-traced scenes in LW. FPrime is very, very nice but this sounds nice too.

Lightwolf
03-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Hm, to be quite honest, the article is completely correct since it relates to games.
It might not be the hottest news (raytraced Quake was demoed last year already and the Saarland Uni has been wowing the crowds at the past two Siggraphs - realtime raytracing on clusters, the Cell or using custom hardware).

Cheers,
Mike

T-Light
03-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Ah, I see the problem... it was written for the BBC .

The Beeb seem to have a policy on extremely strict 'dumbing down' when they write something like this. Sometimes they're ok, other times, well, you see the results. They manage to take an interesting story and create something so ludicrous it's of little use to anyone.

I read about about ten years ago there were over 3,500 branches of biology. The beeb won't even call a marine biologist a biologist. They just call them scientists. Unfortunately, Beeb reports rarely get any smarter than that these days. :(

"You can even do reflections on reflections on reflections."

This is something that would be impossible with traditional rendering techniques.
Scuse Me???? We know He's talking 'real time' but does He? I don't think He does.

Before now, many powerful computers were needed to generate the life-like images this technique can produce.
Before now being when exactly? pre 80's?

But the scientists have shown they can achieve the effect...
Oooooo 'Scientists'.

Makes me mad, really wish the BBC would up their game.

Lightwolf
03-21-2007, 02:22 AM
Scuse Me???? We know He's talking 'real time' but does He? I don't think He does.
He does, he clearly compares games to non-realtime animation (Pixar, LoTR).

Before now being when exactly? pre 80's?

On a Pixar level? We're still talking a few hours per frame. Last time I checked they still needed thousands of CPUs for a feature.

Oooooo 'Scientists'.

Hm, what do you call professors and students of computer science at a university? Boffins? ;)

I dunno, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the article, it seems some of you interpret more in between lines than it actually states. :p

Cheers,
Mike

Extent
03-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Wait, since when is an Arachnotron in Quake??? That's a Doom screenshot.

Bog
03-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Newsflash! News gets it wrong! Film at 11!

50 years from now "Journalism" will be an obscure hobby, and we'll just check the RSS feeds from everyone's own independant data sources to find out what's going on in the world.

Lightwolf
03-21-2007, 05:53 PM
And just in case anybody is really curious: http://www.q4rt.de/

Cheers,
Mike

Sensei
03-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Hehe.. Look at benchmark page.. Quad-core CPU is reaching 16 FPS at 256x256 resolution..

With such result better I won't comment "real-timeness"..

Lightwolf
03-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, it does scale fairly well. If I'm not mistaken the group at uni also has a realtime raytracer running on a Cell that achieves a much higher framerate running at a higher resolution.
And the big boys (automotive industry) have been running it for a few years now, it saves them tons of $$$ during the design stage.

Cheers,
Mike

Lamont
03-21-2007, 06:56 PM
When a press release is made, I can show screens of a program that renders full raytraced scenes @[email protected] 20FPS on a gForce 5 series and 30~40FPS on a 8800.

BTW, it's not simple geometric objects, the scene has about 400,000 alpha blended objects. With volumetric clouds and haze...

Lightwolf
03-21-2007, 06:58 PM
When a press release is made, I can show screens of a program that renders full raytraced scenes @[email protected] 20FPS on a gForce 5 series and 30~40FPS on a 8800.

Cool. A full raytracer with full recusrsive reflections and refractions? Does it load generic meshes?

Cheers,
Mike

Bog
03-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Can't wait, Lamont!

Have I ever mentioned that your avatar always makes me think of Q dressed as a judge before I look at it properly?

Lamont
03-22-2007, 02:16 AM
Cool. A full raytracer with full recusrsive reflections and refractions?Yup. It just does stills. I have no idea how far they are gonna take it.

Does it load generic meshes?It just has a Maya ascii export for now afaik.

Have I ever mentioned that your avatar always makes me think of Q dressed as a judge before I look at it properly?Q from Star Trek?:eek:

Bog
03-22-2007, 03:32 AM
It's just the shape of the hat!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4c/STQalien.jpg/200px-STQalien.jpg

Lamont
03-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Maybe all those years of ST:NG put the idea in my head? ;)

EagleWing
03-24-2007, 11:34 AM
And just in case anybody is really curious: http://www.q4rt.de/

Cheers,
Mike

it looks too much like CG in those screenshots to me, to me the game as it is originally looks better, more depth/atmosphere to the graphics i think.