PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help With Polygon Problem in Lightwave 9.0

Aaron_Price
03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Hello everyone hope the good people here can help me with a problem I am having. At the moment I am trying to recreate my house in 3D and at the moment just getting the basic building blocks the geometry of the house. Now I have just started doing the fencing of the house and created a single block of the fence then copying and pasteing it I made a row of 9 identical fence blocks then cloned that to make 3 more to go on top. Now the problem is that moving them around in Modeler is a nightmare they take ages to drag and rotate around the screen to move about in place. I think it has something to do with the amount of polygons in the object itself.

I have attached two images, one of the house I am doing and the second one is of the fence which I have highlighted in wireframe and shows polygons at 77996 Polygons. In point mode it just gave me **** I was wondering if anyone could help me to bring down the polys to allow me to move these fences around without having to wait like 10-15 seconds for the thing to move. I still got to replicate the fence two more times for the sides of the house.

Any help would be most greatful
Kind regards
Aaron Price :)

Lamont
03-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Just dupe them in Layout when it's time to set up the scene.

Surrealist.
03-19-2007, 10:39 PM
I have been finding that Subpatch is a great way to reduce polys even for this type of work.

I threw this together as an example.

The plan would be, leave subpatch turned off until you need to save the model for render. If you want to display it, keep the subd level low.

In layout you can set the object geometry to 0 for display and play with the render settings. If you have 9.0 APS is a big plus here.

I saved it as subpatch as I am not sure if you had 9.0 or not. Just a sample to play with get some ideas, or modifiy if you like or whatever you want to do with it. It only has 13608 polys.

As a note - disregard those tris at the corners. You'll probably want to redo it if you decide to go this way. I only put the tris there as I was not sure if you had CCs or not.

Surrealist.
03-19-2007, 11:42 PM
OK, duh, just read your title again. OK so you have more options for polyflow if you want to do CC and also here is a better version, better polyflow - subd - and yes, APS is going to be your friend for large objects. This one has 2,000 less polys.

EDIT and also I see I completey forgot the brick border, but you get the idea.

Darth Mole
03-20-2007, 04:14 AM
Depending how close the camera is getting to the object, you could probably cut down on that poly count by a huge amount by reducing the number of points on those curves!

Surrealist.
03-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Depending how close the camera is getting to the object, you could probably cut down on that poly count by a huge amount by reducing the number of points on those curves!

Exactly. Nice thing about subpatch is that you have the option of shooting from many angles/distances and having a smooth curve.

Subpatch is more polys than say if you were poly modeling for a long shot but a lot less than if you were poly modeling for a close up so it is a median. But it really shines when you use APS as you can control the poly count on a shot by shot basis or even based on the camera position dynamically.

With the display set to 0 in layout this is better than even having them cloned at a high poly count in layout.

When you consider what you can accomplish with displacement for bricks, rock and other things, subpatch is a real good thing to consider for arch vis.

Again though, it all depends on your end goal with what you are trying to accomplish.

If you have not already, check out this video:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/PixelsperPolygon.avi

Aaron_Price
03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, but I am still pretty new to the tools of Lightwave... The thing is I got to copy that fence wall two more times to build the side of the walls that have the fencing on the balcony of the house. But I need to reduce the polygon count in those fences so the copies won't drag the program down and to allow to move smoother moving of the fence objects. I got to put two side fences and will have to crop part of them as the sides are shorter than the front wall fences.