PDA

View Full Version : Creating multiple clips from one clip use Razor

D Webster
03-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I have an hour long clip that I am attempting to divide into 12 smaller clips by using the C key "Razor" function. I am able to create, rename the clips. and save the project. When I close and then open the project back up the only clip that plays is the first one. The other clips are there but appear blank. What am I doing wrong?

ted
03-19-2007, 11:15 PM
My guess is that since you renamed part of the clip, SE can't find it when it's reopened??? Where and how did you rename it?
Even though you rename a part of the clip, it is still part of the original.
The only way to avoid this would be to render the partial clip and give it the new name.

John Perkins
03-20-2007, 01:51 AM
If a file is missing, but still referenced in the project, it will be black with a red outline.

It sounds like you did something to rename the original file that your clips pointed to.

You can drag the file and hold the alt key as you drop it on top of a missing clip in the timeline or storyboard to point it back to the correct file.

This is called inheriting and you can use it to replace clips in the timeline or storyboard with new content as well without losing your edits, color correction, positioning, etc. It doesn't have to be the same clip.

SBowie
03-20-2007, 07:21 AM
For this purpose, rather than going to all this trouble, you could use the Alias field to supply an 'internal' name for the chopped-up sections of the original file.

This permits you to have unique identifiers within the project, without the bother of creating files. You can even drag those clips into a file bin to create file instances, if you wish, without any rendering.

D Webster
03-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all of the responses. My clips were black with a red outline. I had renamed the original as well as the clips I created, which caused the problem. I put the names back to the original name and changed the Alisa Name of each clip.