PDA

View Full Version : ODE Plugin for LW!

Exception
03-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Some chap over there behind that tree is making an ODE plugin for Lightwave (http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=2347).
I know many of you have been dying for something like this, and it looks as if it is at least partially functional...

Here's the readme:

Quick and Dirty Instructions

Add ode.p to Lightwave and 3 plug-ins should install: ODEGeneric and ODEDisplace and a panel for ODEDisplace. I like to map the generic to alt+o, but that's just me.

ODEfL v0.3.3 01/13/07
- Added Infinite Friction control
- Added ODEfL logo to the generic and diplace panels
- Bug fixes

ODEfL v0.3.2 10/13/06
- Bug fixes

ODEfL v0.3.1 10/11/06
- Added Step Size Multiplier
- Fixed bug with composite bodies that crashed Lightwave after 1 or 2 sim runs.

ODEfL v0.3.0 10/08/06
- Keyed Forces
- To me this is HUGE, It's the point I feel ODEfL is finally REALLY useful, not just at neat toy.
- Keyed bodies are disabled until the last key and have no interaction with the simulation until then.
- Rotation is not keyable... yet!
- Keys must be added after the ODEfL plug is added, keys added prior to the plugin are ignored. I hope to fix this.

ODEfL v0.2.2-v0.2.4: 10/04/06
- Gravity now user definable with XYZ components
- Added material properties
- bounciness
- bounce velocity
- density
- cfm (softness)
- erp (softness)
- mu (sliding friction)
- Added two new primitives
- cylinders
- capsule
(note: cylinder-capsule interaction not posible and creation for both default to length along the Y axis)

ODEfL v0.2.1: 09/17/06
- Added code to make spheres to be added to composite bodies
- Set default gravity to -9.8 (was -2.0)
- add bounciness to the default
- renamed ODE to ODEfl, next verison will require re-adding plug-ins.

ODE v0.2.0: 09/14/06

- Plug-in compiled for Lightwave 9.0 (Win) with ODE 0.7 (may work with older versions of lightwave, but not tested)
- Composite Bodies now functional with boxes! Try loading the table scene file and unparenting one of the legs. Max 10 children (kinda arbitrary).
- There is a memory bug that pops up with composite bodies on second or third run calculations, I'll spend the next few days tracking it down.

Next up:

- Composites for all types
- Add capped cylinder and capsule types
- Forces and fields
- Joints
- Make it purdy

ODE v0.1.2 2004

I've made a few updates to ODE...

- I fixed a stupid memory issue that crashed Lightwave whenever you cleared or loaded a scene.
- Static objects (non-static is the default). Just keyframe an object, click static, and it won't budge.
- Saving! Your settings now save with the scene file. No more tedious clicking.

If you're interested in the source just email me.

Cheers,
Kevin

Intuition
03-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Been digging this one.

When it supports custom geometry, should very soon, it will be mass abused by this community.

Still, playing with the stuff that is in there is very addictive and fast.

Exception
03-19-2007, 03:14 PM
When it supports custom geometry, should very soon, it will be mass abused by this community.

Abused you say?

:) Certainly.

I'll help abusing it. :boogiedow

He should just slam a paypal logo onto his site.

colkai
03-20-2007, 03:51 AM
I've seen the thread, but never fully understood what it was all about. Of course, that isn't going to stop me wandering over to have a nosey :)

EDIT: Oooh, cool :) - So - daft question, how is this different to native dynamic hard bodies?

Anti-Distinctly
03-20-2007, 04:03 AM
ODE is a proven engine really. It works out dynamics acurately and fast. At least, relative to LW's current implementation of dynamics.

ANS
03-20-2007, 04:04 AM
Oooh, cool :) - So - daft question, how is this different to native dynamic hard bodies?

difference? oooh, simple. This ODE plugin can work like real hard body dynamics (of course after some polishing). LW hard body is unpredictable, and simulation looks like a wiggles&jumps of electrocuted corpse.

dglidden
04-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Mac users:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67071

*cough cough*

:beerchug:

Wonderpup
04-17-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm a bit dissapointed- I was expecting something a bit more poetic.