PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave on the 8800GTX

JWBakerIV
03-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Is anyone out there running Light wave (specifically modeler) With Nvidia's 8800GTX GPU? If you are is it stable? Are there any issues? Does anyone know of any specific compatibility issues? I'm having a nerve-wrecking time with light wave modeler on my new computer and it seems to be related to a Graphic Redraw issue with my 8800GTX. But I would be interested to find out how others are fairing with a similar setup. I'm fairly certain at this point it is the GPU causing the issues. But is it hardware related or can it be solved by a driver update?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Right now this is the only *fast computer* I can use light wave on. My laptop is severely underpowered for what I would like to accomplish. It did just fine for learning purposes but with a resolution of 1024X768 its next to impossible and annoying to try and do a large project.

RTSchramm
03-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm running LW9 and beta versions on a Dell Precision 690 workstation with 4 gigs of memory. I removed the Quadro FX 4500 because it was too sluggish when trying to manipulate a large number of polygons. Replaced it with a Geforce 8800 GTX and LW9 works much smoother in the interactively department. No crashes, no surprises. The OS I'm using is Windows XP Pro 64 bit edition. Extremely stable OS.

I did upgraded to Windows Ultimate 64, but it was too unstable for me and most of the 3D apps that I used were real sluggish. I formatted my hard drive and installed XP pro 64 and I have been happy ever since.

NOTE: The GPU in the card doesn't affect the rendering speed, just how much interactively you have with the user interface of the 3D app. The speed of the motherboard processor affects the render speed. With one exception: If you are using Maya, Nividia has a plug in that uses the on board GPU of the graphics card to render some of the scene which speeds up the render process.

I hope this helps.

Rich

JWBakerIV
03-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Actually I fixed it.... I just tuned down my anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering down from 16x and 16xQ down to about 2x each and I cant make it crash anymore.

What 3D settings do you use?

Matt
03-19-2007, 08:53 AM
My EVGA 8800GTX has been fine, not seen many OGL errors either, if any, but I've not really used LW in anger on my home machine.

creativecontrol
03-22-2007, 08:10 AM
There are several major threads on this in the open beta section. For some reason, several people including myself that have 8800's have a serious problem with smooth shaded geometry vanishing completely from time to time. This is a known bug in the current drivers for XP and XP64. I had to go back to my old card until they get this worked out.

Captain Obvious
03-22-2007, 08:14 AM
I've had no issues. Latest drivers, 32-bit XP, LW9.

creativecontrol
03-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Could you share your current settings? Do you run dual monitors? Someone mentioned it could be a dual monitor issue.

Matt
03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Actually, after poking around in Modeler for a bit, I do suffer from the bugs people have talked about.

There appears to be two bugs:

1) Disappearing Textures, leaving wireframe only (when in Textured Shaded mode).

This seems to happen when you force Modeler to redraw viewports; switching from quad to single 3D view and back again or when selecting Textured Shaded mode. Everything looks fine when the object first loads.

The texture shading disappears leaving the wireframe only. Seems to be random too, if you put all your viewports in Textured Shaded mode, switch from quad to single and back, some viewports lose their shading, but not all.

2) Textured only mode makes object disappear.

As the issues seems to lie with texture shading, when placing any viewport into Texture mode, the object totally disappears (visually).

This same error goes for Smooth Shade too.

The fix for this is to set your Geometry Acceleration in the Display properties to 'Streaming' rather than 'Buffered(VBO)'. But then you lose all the wonderful speed enhancements made in 9.2 OpenGL.

It's also fixed if you set your Shading Method to 'GLSLShaders' (while leaving Geometry Acceleration on 'Buffered(VBO)' mode) but again at the expense of speed.

Despite these redraw bugs, LW and an 8800GTX play well in terms of crashes, mine hasn't crashed once (touch wood!).

The big question is ... are these problems down to a ForceWare driver in its infancy? Or dodgy OpenGL code by NewTek?

One possible finger pointing clue is that all the viewport modes work PERFECTLY in Layout, it's only Modeler that suffers, so I'm siding on the possibility that it's down to the OpenGL code in Modeler.

Matt

Red_Oddity
03-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I have hda the bugs in LW9 aswell, and Maya has some really weird overlay and refresh problems, BUT, besides all that, this card is so money well spend, this baby blazes.

Running on WinXP 64bit
Tyan i5000XT
Dual Quad Xeon 5355
8Gig memory
latest nvidia drivers.

Captain Obvious
03-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Could you share your current settings? Do you run dual monitors? Someone mentioned it could be a dual monitor issue.
Dual monitors do not work for me. I just get one output.

The big question is ... are these problems down to a ForceWare driver in its infancy? Or dodgy OpenGL code by NewTek?
Drivers.

JWBakerIV
03-22-2007, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=Captain Obvious
Drivers.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Me thinks nvidia drivers need some major updating.

Light wave is just a needle in a haystack as far as programs not liking graphics drivers. Programs are made to run with almost every piece of hardware and it is up to the hardware manufactures to stick to a 'standard' so programs do not get left out in the cold.