PDA

View Full Version : Abstract - Groboto export

starbase1
03-18-2007, 07:20 AM
I bought myself the full version of the rather fun prog Groboto - it's really intended for William Latham style animated graphics, but it does export, so here's a sample shape rendered with gradients in Lightwave. (You really need to see it thrash around for the best effect, but anyway...)

If anyone wants to play with the object, i have made it available for download here:
http://www.starbase1.co.uk/thrashit.zip

I think it would look rather good with some of the new shaders such as dielectric, if anyone on the beta for 9.2 wants to play with it...

Nick

BigHache
03-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Sweet! That's just a fun image.

bobakabob
03-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Starbase,
This looks great, perfect for something I'm working on. Could you tell us more about Groboto? I did a quicksearch and found a free version but not the full version. Where did you buy it and what's the damage? :)

starbase1
03-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Just pay here, all the usual methods:
http://www.groboto.com/Store%20%26%20Downloads.html

Full price is $79 us, but if you ask for a voucher you get $20 off. Not at all bad for 30 pounds!

It is mainly intended for animation (it will morph between just about any of its weird stuff, and is VERY quick to render). Definitely weird, but not hard to get into once you get your head around it.

Nick

bobakabob
03-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Nick, thanks for the info and the downloadable object. Groboto looks great for modelling outlandish abstract shapes - the crazier the better :D

PS I've been looking for an app that creates abstract visuals (like Windows Media Player) which respond to music and can be saved out as .avi movies. Can anyone help?

starbase1
03-19-2007, 10:00 AM
I've been looking myself for sometime, including driving light brightness from LW's audio channel, but with very poor results. I'd love to hear if you find something.

One obvious line of attack was trying to capture th display from an audio player, but I never found a utility that could keep up...

noiseboy
03-20-2007, 07:43 AM
I've been looking myself for sometime, including driving light brightness from LW's audio channel,

I've used audio to drive the position of nulls in the past, but not light intensity. what you can do is extract the time/amplitude data (I used a Mac app called audioXplorer) and manipulate that in a spreadsheet so that you get only positive amplitude data and use that as a basis for the light intensity.

Of course that's only a theory...I'll have to try it out myself one day. There is a C4d plugin that does this kind of stuff.

Colin

groBoto
03-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I bought myself the full version of the rather fun prog Groboto - it's really intended for William Latham style animated graphics, but it does export, so here's a sample shape rendered with gradients in Lightwave. (You really need to see it thrash around for the best effect, but anyway...)

If anyone wants to play with the object, i have made it available for download here:
http://www.starbase1.co.uk/thrashit.zip

I think it would look rather good with some of the new shaders such as dielectric, if anyone on the beta for 9.2 wants to play with it...

Nick

Thanks for spreading the word Nick.

Just thought I'd mention that there are afew more free GroBoto meshes here (and I'll be adding a new batch in a day or three):
http://groboto.com/Online%20Exports.html

...and here's pic showing some of the fog & sky effects coming in 2.1.

Darrel

bobakabob
03-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Looks superb, Darrell. Can you import objects into Groboto?

3dworks
03-22-2007, 01:47 PM
ok, way too cool to resist... :)

markus

groBoto
03-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Looks superb, Darrell. Can you import objects into Groboto?

Thanks.

Sorry, no... GroBoto is not a polygonal modeler -- instead it uses our own custom solid geometry engine. On the up side it's that technology that allows us to produce such high fidelity geometry (and render it at essentially infinite resolution -- no polygonal facets -- really quickly).

These highly complex algorithmic forms really benefit from the hi-fi geometry.... preserves all the subtleties and intricacies of the intersecting forms... as you can see in these pics.

Darrel

starbase1
03-22-2007, 03:53 PM
It has it's own renderer, which is what Darrel is showing - simple but VERY fast.

For Lightwave owners you are most likely to use it to generate complex organic looking abstract shapes. With LW's surface editing, particularly gradients and reflection, you can take things up a notch. As remarked earlier I'd LOVE to see what the new dielectric shader can do with these shapes!

It's more of a graphic toy than a conventional package, (which is no bad thing). Nothing else like it, and a lot of fun.

I'll post a couple more Lightwave renders imminently...

Nick

starbase1
03-22-2007, 04:02 PM
OK, I'm only going to post one for now, because it's so much stronger than the other one, this is the first Groboto to Lightwave image I really feel proud of.

It's my first attempt to 'model' an object using drawbots, exported to with the option to preserve surface types, and given some heavy gradient based textures in LW.

groBoto
03-22-2007, 04:30 PM
It has it's own renderer, which is what Darrel is showing - simple but VERY fast.

For Lightwave owners you are most likely to use it to generate complex organic looking abstract shapes. With LW's surface editing, particularly gradients and reflection, you can take things up a notch. As remarked earlier I'd LOVE to see what the new dielectric shader can do with these shapes!

It's more of a graphic toy than a conventional package, (which is no bad thing). Nothing else like it, and a lot of fun.

I'll post a couple more Lightwave renders imminently...

Nick

Regarding LightWave mesh importing, I have a question. Would it be preferable if GroBoto exported quads (all of our meshes are triangular, but we could optionally generate quads for most of our geometry)?

Thanks
Darrel

starbase1
03-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Well, as far as LW goes, it's very simple to triple any quads, so if they start as quads, we can have either... And so far your objects have imported without any issues for me - not all applications can manage this with the OBJ format. And it preserved surface identifications on import too. So what is there now works just fine thank you.

But the key thing is for the quads to be planar - LW is not as tolerant as some aps of non flat polygons.

One request that may seem slightly odd - personally I would like it if there was the option of just exporting 1 point for the centre of each sub-object. That way I could use them for hypervoxels, (globby things a bit like metaballs), or even chains of lens flares / lights.

It would also be awesome to be able to export a whole sequence of OBJ files from an animation. I know the space requirements could get painful, but that would let us get the full thrashy weirdness of Groboto completely into Lightwave!

Nick

groBoto
03-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Well, as far as LW goes, it's very simple to triple any quads, so if they start as quads, we can have either... And so far your objects have imported without any issues for me - not all applications can manage this with the OBJ format. And it preserved surface identifications on import too. So what is there now works just fine thank you.

But the key thing is for the quads to be planar - LW is not as tolerant as some aps of non flat polygons.

One request that may seem slightly odd - personally I would like it if there was the option of just exporting 1 point for the centre of each sub-object. That way I could use them for hypervoxels, (globby things a bit like metaballs), or even chains of lens flares / lights.

It would also be awesome to be able to export a whole sequence of OBJ files from an animation. I know the space requirements could get painful, but that would let us get the full thrashy weirdness of Groboto completely into Lightwave!

Nick

Thanks for the info Nick. Glad to hear GroBoto/LightWave are meshing smoothly.

Right, we would only export planar quads -- using triangles where required. Some users of other apps have requested quads for greater compatibility with various subdivision options.

Your request for center points doesn't sound odd to me -- but probably because I've been down similar paths over my years of 3D noodling... always nice to have access to 3D data in a variety of forms... I'll look into adding that option (probably won't show until 2.1.something).

...Same story with sequential OBJ -- something we'd like to do. Naturally we would add an 'every nth' frame option. I created some GroBoto based sequences for the Hayden Planetarium a few years back... had pretty good success using very few OBJs as morph targets -- but you're right, best to have many (or all), frames to maintain GroBoto's 'thrashy weirdness'.

Darrel

starbase1
03-23-2007, 01:27 PM
...Same story with sequential OBJ -- something we'd like to do. Naturally we would add an 'every nth' frame option. I created some GroBoto based sequences for the Hayden Planetarium a few years back... had pretty good success using very few OBJs as morph targets -- but you're right, best to have many (or all), frames to maintain GroBoto's 'thrashy weirdness'.

Darrel

Ah! I actually thought about asking for objects that work as morph targets, but I figured that with all the changing going on there was ZERO hope of the points matching up!

Anyway, it certainly seems to deliver cleaner meshes than most already.

And if you had the points export and the sequence, you could get really long smooth sequences without needing another terabyte of storage!

Nick

parm
03-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Fascinating stuff. I'll definitely be giving Groboto a try.

Chilton
05-14-2007, 05:10 PM
GroBoto had its start as a SuperCard based app, and displayed a tremendous leap in thinking about 3D. Definitely an artist's tool. It was all 2 dimensional, but done in such a way that it appeared to be generating 3 dimensional data. That allowed it to run on any entry level Mac, yet create 3D models that rivaled final renders. Awesome app--I never get tired of seeing things made in it.

-Chilton

Wopmay
05-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Yeow! That's really beautiful but I'm going to have nightmares for a week!

mattclary
05-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Wow! Very cool!

Mr_Bester
05-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Here are the some renders with the new nodes. Just a simple Dielectric, Conductor and one with the conductor comped(overlay) over the dielectric. I like the Comped one best. Obviously it's a different angle than you had, but if you don't have 9.2 yet, it's fun playing with.
Dug