PDA

View Full Version : Internal buffer error

Grale
03-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Ok, i have searched and read all threads on this subject, i have tried everything that was suggested by the members in those threads with no results, i was wondering if anyone knew anything more on this error?

I am trying to cut out many shapes from a simple object, 31 to be exact!
now i have done 12 without any problems atall, on the last 2 i have cut out i got the error report -internal buffers to small for requested operation- but managed to move the cutting block around until it worked, but now the SpBoolSub refuses to cut anything.. no matter how big or small, all i get is this error report.

any new ideas on this matter?

Much appreciated

clumsycloudy
03-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Merge points and try again. Sometimes just closing lw and opening again will help, a good slice with the knife tool might also do the trick (shift+k) just to make your object simpler.

Sounds like your overdoing the boolean\drill function. I get the errormessage occasionally but i still haven't switched to max because of that ;)

Let me know on your progress..

clumsycloudy
03-18-2007, 11:10 AM
babelfish this:
http://www.lwita.com/vb/showthread.php?p=39927

same stuff, i believe he suggests to do a traditional boolean, you might have geometry overlapping

in his words:"in theory the speedboolean they are only of the scripts that recall the commando boolean that all we know.

to this point, it leaves geometries separated in the two layer, selects that one with the data, it selects in background that one with the spheres and uses the tradition boolean with method subtract.

it makes to know us.

vashts"

Grale
03-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi clumsycloudy, yeah i tried closing and restarting lw, even restarted my computer, didn't help.

The knife tool doesn't help either! definitely over doing the boolean\cut function :thumbsdow

you say you still haven't switched to max yet, do you mean 3d max?

seems like i'm going to have to start again, for the third time :devil:

didn't quite understand from the spanish translation what he meant!!

clumsycloudy
03-18-2007, 11:46 AM
just kidding about the 3ds max stuff, i hate that app. Post a screenshot of what you are working on. Try not to bolean too many things at once, especially if they are in one line in any view. I meant directing the boolean connection polygon thats being generated (the line that is added after performing a boolean operation.

clumsycloudy
03-18-2007, 11:55 AM
i tried to recreate an internal buffer error, (oddly it happens a lot when modeling dice :) ) so first did the first vertical row using a solid drill, applied a cut to simplify the model (you will see it will redirect the "boolean edge" in real time while moving the knife tool over it) and did the second row without trouble . Then selected the round polygons and applied the router tool to make it rounded .

Sometimes a little nudge to slightly offset the background layer is what it takes to stay out of trouble. Then again a lot of times using the boolean tool just for simple operations and adding detail from there (like i did in this example) will keep you out of trouble and help make a cleaner model.

If all fails cut out the part you need to work on and apply the boolean or drill on that piece.

Grale
03-18-2007, 12:44 PM
I better post this picture, so you can see what i am doing wrong!

the objects attached to the fuselage are the shapes i want to cut from it.

I'm very new at this, just learning so go easy :D

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9264/untitled1cn7.jpg

clumsycloudy
03-18-2007, 01:03 PM
yeah i can see why lw gave you the internal buffer error. its its way of saying 'aargh'.

First thing you need to do is just cut the main polygon of what you did into a seperate layer and start working on that only because its easy to extrude the shape afterwards. Dont boolean but do a stencil dril on the piece, you can easily remove the polygons afterwards.

Most importantly just use shapes to cut without all the fancy curved edges, you can put them in later using truefillet.

clumsycloudy
03-18-2007, 01:05 PM
something i noticed:
Why in gods name dont you use lwcad?!!!!!!!!

clumsycloudy
03-18-2007, 01:08 PM
so the lwcad way:
take everything you need, all shapes (outline and cutting objects) and put that in one layer. You need just plat polys, as 2d as it gets. set value on z axis to make sure its all in the same place in z space. Convert polys to curves, select all curves, join curves, convert curves to polys. DONE

Grale
03-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Ok, the outline(fuselage) and cutting objects are in one layer, how do i set value on z axis? then convert polys to curves...

Sorry like i say very new at modeling, could you talk me through with a little more explanation of the things i need to do.. Please

Thanks for your time :beerchug:

clumsycloudy
03-18-2007, 01:28 PM
select just the face polys of all objects and paste them in one layer. select all point and press v now put in a value for them to shift to for instance z = 0 if your faces are oriented that side.

clumsycloudy
03-18-2007, 01:32 PM
So now you have a mess off polys on top of eachother and you go to the first lwcad tab and choose "convert : poly to curve", remove all things you dont need now and then choose "mass edit: join" command just a tad higher in the menu. Lastly choose 'convert: Curve to poly'. Just select the polys you dont need, delete them and extrude the shape that remains.

Grale
03-18-2007, 02:09 PM
You sir are the mutts :)

Here:

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2775/untitled1rp3.jpg

Many thanks for taking the time, and explaining that to me, top man :beerchug:

hopefully i won't have to pester you lot here to much :D

clumsycloudy
03-18-2007, 02:14 PM
:thumbsup: hehe, now go make that bird fly...