PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Shapes

VTA
03-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Against Surfaces with more than 3 or 4 vertices.
I hope I'm being clear here...
Can anyone point me to a good spot that would help me understand how to do this. The Manuals I've downloaded tell me plenty about what Lightwave has, but not much about how to use them, in some instances. I've attached a pic...

I've converted the ring to SubPatch and got that effect.

I'd like to know how I can have that ring smooth against that big polygon, without those gaps.

Surrealist.
03-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Those gaps look like you are in subpatch mode and the disk is not subpatched. I am guessing you did this for illustration. If not, then that message that comes up when you hit tab is telling you that that circle is not going to be subpatched but the other polys will - just to be sure you have that understood.

Yes, there needs to be more information readily available as to how to model.

Tools that will help:

Add edges
Multishift
Bevel
bandsaw pro.

With the use of merge polys you can create any kind of polyflow you need.

So the keyword here is polyflow. Sometimes you have to create it by hand. Othertimes multishift will do the trick.

You can take a look at some of the video tutorials on this site for use of that tool.

So here I have this object that you can look at for examples. They are pretty self-explanitory. I created them all with the above tools. You can download this and study it for polyflow on how you create basic shapes in subpatch. Use it as you wish as well.

VTA
03-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Hello Richard,
Thank you for the reply and even more for the primitives file...

It is in Sub-Patch; from my understanding that is what smooths out the edges. I know it won't work for disks and squares with more than 3 or 4 vertices. What you see in my pic is me trying to get that smooth ring to blend into that front disk and that flat surface behind it smoothly. When I don't convert those kind of edges (Rings, Logos), I get a stepped kind effect in final render.

What you have in layer 16 and 22 of the Primatives file are what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'll have to be honest with you, beyond Bevel, I have no idea what those other tools are, (I'm also away from my work computer with LW on it too...). I'll have to wait until Monday before I can give them a try.

Thank you again for your help.
-Vincent

VTA
03-17-2007, 11:44 PM
I'll have to ammend that to quite a few of the layers, beyond what I've mentioned. I have no idea how you did many of those things, but they are what I have in minds as far as smooth edges.
-Vincent

Surrealist.
03-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Cool. OK. Well a couple of things to get you going.

Two ways to model:

1) Polygonal

2) Subpatch (polygons as the base of a subdivided object at render)

(using splines in lightwave basically is polygon modeling when you add faces)

So you can have your final result as 1 or 2 above.

If 1) then for a disc you simply turn up the amount of sides to around 50 in the numeric requester (n) so that you have a smoother curve. Then in the surface panel set the surface for the side of the disc (q on the keyboard to create a surface on the selection) to have smoothing turned on.

Without subpatch, this will give you a smooth edge. Then you have to deal with sharp edges - another subject.

If 2) is your final product then you still want to turn on smoothing, but you have many options to connect various shapes together smoothly or create other organic shapes. great for organic shapes or character work. Also opens the door for other types of displacement - you'll learn later. The key here is understanding polyflow.

It is OK if you don't know how I did those. It is simpler than it may look. But there are many ways to accomplish those shapes. The tools I outlined are pretty basic and easy to learn how to use. Once you figure that out you can just look at the shapes and copy the polyflow.

The Add edges tool is real cool because you can just add segments line by line and create your polyflow by hand. When using this tool I also do a lot of merging polygons too to get to where I want to be.

There is a great site where I learned alot about using modeler tools:

http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/index.php

Alot of quick basic stuff but very very informative and to the point.

I think you will find it useful.

Good luck.

VTA
03-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Cool. OK. Well a couple of things to get you going.

Two ways to model:

1) Polygonal

2) Subpatch (polygons as the base of a subdivided object at render)

(using splines in lightwave basically is polygon modeling when you add faces)

So you can have your final result as 1 or 2 above.

If 1) then for a disc you simply turn up the amount of sides to around 50 in the numeric requester (n) so that you have a smoother curve. Then in the surface panel set the surface for the side of the disc (q on the keyboard to create a surface on the selection) to have smoothing turned on.

Without subpatch, this will give you a smooth edge. Then you have to deal with sharp edges - another subject.

If 2) is your final product then you still want to turn on smoothing, but you have many options to connect various shapes together smoothly or create other organic shapes. great for organic shapes or character work. Also opens the door for other types of displacement - you'll learn later. The key here is understanding polyflow.

It is OK if you don't know how I did those. It is simpler than it may look. But there are many ways to accomplish those shapes. The tools I outlined are pretty basic and easy to learn how to use. Once you figure that out you can just look at the shapes and copy the polyflow.

The Add edges tool is real cool because you can just add segments line by line and create your polyflow by hand. When using this tool I also do a lot of merging polygons too to get to where I want to be.

There is a great site where I learned alot about using modeler tools:

http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/index.php

Alot of quick basic stuff but very very informative and to the point.

I think you will find it useful.

Good luck.

Hello Richard,
It seems to me I'm looking for option 2, and that I'll be using the above mentioned tools to accomplish that. I'll just have to play with them when I get to work on Monday.

I've thumbed through Suture before, the guy knows his stuff and it is a very good reference site.
Thank you again for taking the time.
-Vincent