PDA

View Full Version : Earth

DonS
03-16-2007, 05:29 PM
For a long while, I wanted to have an Earth model other than that one we've all seen in countless TV space documentaries...yeah, you know the one. :D

Started out with this one done by Fabio Passaro:

I wanted something a bit different, so I tweaked it into this:

Those are straight renders, no post work. Some clouds are a bit pixellated in the close-up, but I still wanted to see it that close.

Hope ya like it...and thanks to Fabio for making his original available for download.

roger1972
03-18-2007, 12:29 AM
For a long while, I wanted to have an Earth model other than that one we've all seen in countless TV space documentaries...yeah, you know the one. :D

Started out with this one done by Fabio Passaro:

I wanted something a bit different, so I tweaked it into this:

Those are straight renders, no post work. Some clouds are a bit pixellated in the close-up, but I still wanted to see it that close.

Hope ya like it...and thanks to Fabio for making his original available for download.

very nice, is it one ball, or is it made by 3 layers athmospheres?
where did you find the textures?

katsh
03-18-2007, 06:17 AM
where did you find the textures?
yea this is my question too.

roger1972
03-18-2007, 06:21 AM
yea this is my question too.

http://www.oera.net/How2/Earth1.htm

here we have som maps... not big enough maybe...

avkills
03-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Nearly every map you need can be found here (http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_set.php?categoryID=2363).

And they are quite big. I highly recommend InfiniMap for this for Windows users using 32bit.

-mark

katsh
03-18-2007, 09:13 AM
oh ya. very very useful.

BUT my worry is how about copyright of images?

it not hard to find nice picture using internet.
but it hard to find the picture that free to use.

avkills
03-18-2007, 09:16 AM
oh ya. very very useful.

BUT my worry is how about copyright of images?

it not hard to find nice picture using internet.
but it hard to find the picture that free to use.

NASA released them to the public domain a while back. They would not let you download them unless they allowed their use.

-mark

katsh
03-18-2007, 10:17 AM
public domain. wow.
usa is so open and nice country.
anyway it is very usefull picture for texture.

avkills
03-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Well NASA is funded through the government which is paid by the people, so technically they're the tax paying publics property. :D

-mark

roger1972
03-18-2007, 11:59 AM
I thought Illuminati owned NASA :-D

avkills
03-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Good one Roger.

-mark

Carm3D
03-18-2007, 03:06 PM
usa is so open and nice country.

DonS
03-18-2007, 03:10 PM
You're a brave man, Roger, mentioning the Illuminati like that!

I used 4 globes total: 1 surface, 2 clouds (an upper one to cast shadows on the lower) and the top atmospheric haze from Fabio's original (only thing I changed in this was in the color channel).

The maps are from NASA, reworked somewhat. I did some painting in the oceans of the surface map, just to break up the blue a bit more. Also, did a bit of work on the cloud map to get it the way I wanted. There are 2 layers using this map in the transparency channel in the lower of the 2 "cloud" globes: the upper layer is set to low opacity, uses "subtractive" blending and has the width flopped. I can raise or lower the cloud cover somewhat by playing with opacity level of this layer.

Bog
03-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Don, that is gorgeous. Top notch stuff.

The Blue Marble always makes me get all emotional.

Lightwolf
03-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Nearly every map you need can be found here (http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_set.php?categoryID=2363).

And they are quite big. I highly recommend InfiniMap for this for Windows users using 32bit.

The magic word triggered me again - somehow I can't get around these topics ;)
64-bit as well (infiniMap hat is), and you can get the maps pre-compressed at http://www.geotorrent.org (bittorrent required).

Cheers,
Mike

DonS
03-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks, Bog!

InfiniMap would sure come in handy...I have a 20k surface map that I just can't use. Tried a few tricks; converting to .iff; making it a "powers of 2" image...but it simply won't load into LightWave. Nothing wrong with the image itself as I can view it in other apps.

But $359 for InfiniMap? Eh, I just don't need it that much. But nice to know it's out there if need if for a project at some point.

Lightwolf
03-18-2007, 05:27 PM
But $359 for InfiniMap? Eh, I just don't need it that much. But nice to know it's out there if need if for a project at some point.
Well, you can still use the unregistered version as a shader (planar mapping on Y only though). But hey, it's free ;)
Yes, I'll stop pimpin' now :D

Cheers,
Mike

avkills
03-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey Lightwolf, is there a UB OS X version of InfiniMap on the way or already available?

-mark

Lightwolf
03-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Hey Lightwolf, is there a UB OS X version of InfiniMap on the way or already available?

I wish. No. There is a problem with a third party library we are using for the image decompression in OSX (it isn't 100% compatible) and I'll tackle debugging and fixing it (:eek:) once the next release of infiniMap is out of the door.

Cheers,
Mike

Intuition
03-20-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm going to chime in and say that Infinimap combined with some high res maps converted to jpg2000 / ecw will make your eyes explode. :eek:

Really nice stuff you can get from it. :thumbsup:

http://www.db-w.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,108/topic,135.0

Still, I must say this Earth by Don S. is looking really nice anyways. :lwicon: :rock:

DonS
03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks!

Wow, after looking at yours, I wish I could get a client to buy Infinimap for me! I see there are surface maps available up to 80K in width that are available from NASA. So, naturally, I'd need to drastically uprez my clouds maps, also....but it'd be worth it to work towards getting results like yours.

That ocean-wave/specular-highlights bit is pretty slick. Yeah, I'll be stealing that one from you if I decide at some point go super hi-rez on my textures...as it stands, I don't think it'd be worth it for me as I can't get close enough to this model to see the waves.

Lightwolf
03-21-2007, 01:31 PM
So, naturally, I'd need to drastically uprez my clouds maps, also....but it'd be worth it to work towards getting results like yours.

One of our customers edited a cloud map and made it available at www.geotorrent.org as well (at 43200 x 21600).

Cheers,
Mike

avkills
03-21-2007, 03:52 PM
I might just have to sneeze a bittorrent client out now. :D

-mark