PDA

View Full Version : Imagine what he could do with LightWave!

mattclary
03-16-2007, 06:21 AM
It's amazing how well this guy can model with Bryce!

Freaking BRYCE!

http://www.bambam131.com/USSConestoga.htm

Captain Obvious
03-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Woah, dude. :eek:That guy must have a lot of patience.

Matt
03-16-2007, 07:03 AM
I agree with Neverko here, nice use of primitives, but not really 'modelling' in the true sense of the word.

mattclary
03-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Have y'all ever tried to "model" with Bryce? I agree, it's not really modeling, that's kind of my point.

Considering the guy was limited to gluing primitives together, I think it's a damn fine "model".

IMO, half the battle of modeling is having the vision to see what you want to achieve. You can learn the tools, it's harder to learn the vision. IMO.

BeeVee
03-16-2007, 07:56 AM
In ye olden days, Bryce booleans left both "cutter" and "cuttee" in the model, they just didn't appear in the render. Don't know if that's still true...

B

omeone
03-16-2007, 08:32 AM
excellent.

hard work and determination are the best tools in any box

mattclary
03-16-2007, 08:37 AM
In ye olden days, Bryce booleans left both "cutter" and "cuttee" in the model, they just didn't appear in the render. Don't know if that's still true...

B

Yep, made for some very confusing geometry.

hrgiger
03-16-2007, 09:17 AM
It just goes to show you that the tool is only a tool.

Here's another good example. A master of MS Paint.

http://www.thatvideosite.com/video/3685

Matt
03-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Commendable, but you have to ask why when the likes of Photoshop is around!

Surrealist.
03-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Good to see an artist at work. Thanks for the link.

Intuition
03-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Man, someone send this guy a copy of Lightwave out of sheer empathy for making a model with such limiting software.

Jeez, might as well ask me to make a new Mt Rushmore with an exacto knife and some sandpaper. :confused:

Silkrooster
03-16-2007, 05:24 PM

B
Version 6 of bryce can now convert the boolean object into a true single object that can be exported.
Silk

bobakabob
03-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Nice work. Be nice to Bryce, it introduced a lot of geeks to the wacky world of 3D.

jin choung
03-16-2007, 08:53 PM
well if no one buys him a lightwave, hopefully the guy wisens up and instead of killing himself in bryce, goes over to something like BLENDER which is at least free.

jin

jaf
03-16-2007, 08:55 PM
I agree with Neverko here, nice use of primitives, but not really 'modelling' in the true sense of the word.

I own Bryce 6.1 as well as LW 9, and was hoping to improve my modeling (with LW), so point me to all those LW models that are so much better (I don't mean renders, but models.)

So what is "real modeling, in the true sense of the word?" I'm not sure I comprehend. But I'm new to all this.

jin choung
03-16-2007, 09:28 PM
i disagree about the statements that it's not "real modeling".... there are plenty of real world objects that are simply a composite of primitives, especially hard surface models....

but i think the sentiment being expressed is about the inability in bryce to create CUSTOM SHAPES (as opposed to just using primitives) as it becomes needed.

sure you can do a LOT by enlongating or squashing CUBES, SPHERES, CYLINDERS, CONES, TORII, etc. but some models require modeling a custom shape.

also, some models CAN be made with primitives but that may not be the BEST way....

oh and certainly organic models like an arm or a troll can't really be kitbashed with squasha and stretched primitives alone... at least not if you want it to look better than a playstation 1 in-game object....

jin

colkai
03-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Yeah, "real" modelling does suggest modelling in Bryce is in some way flawed.

Truth is, it's no different than modelling in Povray, or Curvy3D, just different.

What Jin says is more accurate, that you are restricted in how you can go about creating something.

So, say coming from Bryce, instead of using booleans to create the shape, you think more about the overall shape and build accordingly. Indeed, it's something I had to wrap my head around coming to LW as I just thought the way I modelled in other software was "the"way. Thus denying myself from the start, a lot of Lightwaves power.

Matt
03-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Well, maybe 'not true modelling' was a bit harsh, but what I mean is creating shapes that do not exist as primitives, you know, from scratch.

Silkrooster
03-17-2007, 02:54 PM
There have been time I have said bryce is not a "true modeler" in that it can not refine the mesh. However, it is a modeler in that the end result is all that counts. In fact it is said here all the time, break down the object you want to model to find its primitives.
Silk

Silkrooster
03-17-2007, 02:56 PM
I should also state that Bryce is now headed towards being a "true modeler" now that it can convert a boolean object to a true single mesh.
Silk

hrgiger
03-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Nice work. Be nice to Bryce, it introduced a lot of geeks to the wacky world of 3D.

It was my first one. I rendered lots of nice reflective spheres and mountains and water and stuff.

Sensei
03-17-2007, 08:42 PM
I own Bryce 6.1 as well as LW 9, and was hoping to improve my modeling (with LW), so point me to all those LW models that are so much better (I don't mean renders, but models.)

So what is "real modeling, in the true sense of the word?" I'm not sure I comprehend. But I'm new to all this.

Please take a look at WIP threads on SpinQuad http://www.spinquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5 especially the one where people ask for wireframes..

colkai
03-18-2007, 03:34 AM
Well, maybe 'not true modelling' was a bit harsh, but what I mean is creating shapes that do not exist as primitives, you know, from scratch.
Yeah, It was the "open to mis-interpretation" thing I was hoping to clarify.

I mean, when I came to LW, I thought everything was done the same way, build from booleans. You have no idea how long it took me to build something simply because I failed to understand the shift in modelling paradigm when building from scratch. Of course, now I know better, even if I still suck at it. :p