PDA

View Full Version : Modeler Crashes

JWBakerIV
03-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Layout works fine but When I open modeler and begin a new project it immediately acts funny. I'f I click/drag to resize the workspace views the grid becomes all skewed and jumpy as I move it around. and If I go to create an object using the number tool 'n', it will freeze as soon as I try to move the pop up window around. it happens every time. It also does it with either light wave 9 or 8.5. I run light wave on my laptop and it works fine but I cant get it to work on my new computer. Its running a 8800 GTX, 4 GB memory, Core 2 Extreme processor.

Any suggestions would be a big help.

I have already tried updating all my drivers and I have even tried running modeler with -O. No difference.

Surrealist.
03-15-2007, 11:02 PM
What happens from time to time is that the LW config file (LWM9) gets corrupt. In windows you will find this in your documents and settings folder of your system drive under the user name you assigned when installing Xp. Not sure where it is on the mac.

A reinstall of LW or drivers will not likely overwirte it . You can rename it to something else like LWM9Bu and lightwave will rewrite it when it starts up. This is the best way to get a clean start. You can do this with all the config files in that folder such as LWHub which can also be a problem.

BTW, this just happened today. I would start Modler, crash! This solution fixed it.

If this is not the problem I have heard that certain graphics cards cause problems.

JWBakerIV
03-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Nope... not the config files. It definitely looks like it could be an issue with the graphics card. Does any one know of any issues with the Nvidia 8800GTX? Is anyone able to run light wave modeler with no problems using the 8800GTX?

I have tried a driver update as well as reverting back to original drivers on CD and neither help the situation.

After further investigation I noticed my computer will not acctually freeze up... things like the clock on my keyboard will continue to work (If my computer freezes that clock will also) Its as if my graphics card alone is locking up. Its kinda hard to explain what it does exactly but if I say for instance, select to make an object and press 'n' as soon as the box pops up the grid lines become skewed in the workspace. I will try to get a screenshot to show you what I mean. and if I begin to move the popup box around thats when it locks.

JWBakerIV
03-17-2007, 01:18 AM
here is a picture of whats going on.

Surrealist.
03-17-2007, 01:36 AM
Yeah, looks like a graphics card. What OS are you running? You might also want consider picking up a cheap graphics card and sticking that in to see if that is it, then go from there.

JWBakerIV
03-17-2007, 03:32 AM
Win XP Pro.
I have a Radeon Sapphire 9550 card thats cheap... not sure if it works though. Can I just run lightwave on that card without having to remove my 8800 from the system? or (considering it is the 8800 that is conflicting) will lightwave crash if it sees that card?

JWBakerIV
03-17-2007, 06:13 PM
The cheap Card is bad... I will have to see if I can find another one that works so I can test it.

JWBakerIV
03-18-2007, 02:13 PM
After tuning down the anti aliasing settings and anisotropic filtering down from 16x and 16xQ down to about 2x - 4x each, light wave became much MUCH more stable. I haven't done a lot of testing yet... but it looks like progress.

talkfist
03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I've got a new install of LW9 and Modeler almost always crashes on startup, restart and it works, sort of. Layout also crashes on startup sometimes too. I'm having lots of problems with Modeler not behaving. My graphics card in my video editing computer is an old Matrox-- however I'm having mroe problems with the graphics card in my newer AMD with an ATI 9200.

Modeler is not unloading or loading objects correctly into the layer I want either. Methinks I've got a screwed up standard install or my XPSP1 can't handle the software calls. Pretty frustrating because it's hard enough to learn this stuff when the software behaves much less when it doesn't.

juanca
01-29-2008, 02:07 AM
HI all,

ive purchased a new machine with a 8800GTX and i have the same problem that JWBakerIV. For now the unique solution to that problem is TURN OFF the AA setting.

Somebody knows a better solution???

My Machine:

Intel Xeon 5345
8GB RAM
PNY 8800GTX (Forceware 169,21)
XP Pro (x64)
LW 3D 9.3.1 (x64)

Thks....