PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Occlusion Node Help!

Matt
03-15-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't mind admitting it, I'm a total newbie with nodes, so perhaps someone can help me understand how I do this (quite simple I would imagine).

I want to add the AO shader to a floor surface to boost shadows when on a low GI ray count.

Clearly I can affect how much AO affects the surface by setting it to ranged mode, but if you have say a table (or any large flat surface parallel to the AO shaded surface) it will get to a point where it hits, or it does not, so the shading is either applied, or it is not.

When it does 'hit' an object it shades the AO applied surface with black, and ends up looking too strong, so if I wanted add AO as a subtle effect, how do I:

A) Change the colour of the AO shading?

B) Modify the strength or opacity of the AO affecting the surface it's applied to?

I've tried a few things but none work, AO just overrides everything.

Would help me understand how you can control the 'power' of the effect of certain nodes on surfaces.

Would be good to have a 'colour' setting and input on AO nodes, as well as a 'strength' setting and input.

Regards
Matt

Matt
03-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Actually, not when on a low GI count, but when on a larger MES count!

Surrealist.
03-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Have you seen the new SG Ambient Occ plugin thread?

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61465&page=2

There is a new release you might be interested in.

Pomfried
03-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Good morning! (At least it is here :))

You could also try my Node Pack, it includes an AO node as well with a lot of options to change the style of shading.

MooseDog
03-16-2007, 04:07 AM
the answer to B) would be:

color node(s) fed into a mixer node as bg

ao node(s) fed into same mixer node as fg

in mixer node, lower opacity of fg at will. also have a play with the blending mode.

what's cool about nodes is that you can have entire cascading trees of such mixtures, eventually ending up in the root material.

dee
03-17-2007, 05:22 AM
you can control it with an gradient.

Matt
03-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Cool, thanks for the pointers guys, will test it out and post back!

:thumbsup: