PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Visual Effects Houses Bring Hyper-Reality to Box Office Smash "300"

Kurtis
03-15-2007, 03:45 PM
LightWaveŽ Visual Effects Houses Bring Hyper-Reality to Box Office Smash "300"
NewTek video profile features artists discussing LightWave 3DŽ VFX work

San Antonio, TX – March 15, 2007 -- NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading 3D animation and video products, today announced the release of a behind-the-scenes video featuring the creation of visual effects sequences for Warner Bros., 300, the visually stunning adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novel. Creating over 200 visual effects shots, Pixel Magic and Screaming Death Monkey put the full feature set of LightWave 3DŽ to work creating everything from set extensions to living smoke, oceans, skies, helmets, shields, swords, arrows and armies. The video may be viewed by following this link: www.LightWave3D.com/profiles/300

Full press release... (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-15-07a.html)

Tzan
03-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Nice video.

I just saw the movie yesterday, amazing stuff. :)

WilliamVaughan
03-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Cool to see the artist talking about their work!

geothefaust
03-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I enjoyed the movie. It was a good translation from graphic novel to movie.

Glad to hear it was made in LW.

JeffrySG
03-15-2007, 09:18 PM
FXGuide has a great podcast and article about it too!

http://www.fxguide.com/article408.html

Cheers!
Jeff

LW_jackn
03-15-2007, 11:16 PM
So anyone taking bets on the first mag article to say it was done in Maya?

:D

avkills
03-16-2007, 08:07 AM
So anyone taking bets on the first mag article to say it was done in Maya?

CGSociety has an article with no mention of Lightwave from what I looked at yesterday. :(

-mark

omeone
03-16-2007, 08:40 AM
CGSociety has an article with no mention of Lightwave from what I looked at yesterday. :(

Yep, XSI, Maya, Zbrush, RealFlow, After Effects... no LW

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3979&page=1

isn't it just getting silly now?

colkai
03-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Yep, XSI, Maya, Zbrush, RealFlow, After Effects... no LW

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3979&page=1

isn't it just getting silly now?

Aww come on, we are surprised why? I refer you to...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65355

:lightwave

Dirk
03-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Now. Let me get that straight: we have multiple CG artists of two effects companies here, using nearly any aspect of Lightwave from previz to final render in nearly any scene in what might be THE Blockbuster movie of 2007 (or at least the first big blockbuster in 2007, a movie that might make it into the top 100 movies of all times). Even the much despised particles and ClothFX. Telling us that in their own words, in a downloadable video.

And we have an acticle at the possibly most important CG forum in the internet, about the FX in the same movie, and NOT MENTIONING LIGHTWAVE EVEN ONCE ???

..... do these guys realize how easy it is to destroy their credibility?

Dodgy
03-16-2007, 10:33 AM
It's like lightwave is a bad word... Crazy CG :P

Celshader
03-16-2007, 10:41 AM
It's like lightwave is a bad word... Crazy CG :P

Don't ask, don't tell. ;)

omeone
03-16-2007, 10:55 AM

LOL! Sounds like the Swiss attitude to money.

"so Switzerland, what kind of assets do you really have?"
"ah you know, we get by..."

"so world-beating super-CG studio, what do you use to produce this stuff"
"ah you know, the usual - we even tried some shots with Maya and XSI!"

oops
8/

MooseDog
03-16-2007, 11:02 AM
CGS: (note not the interviewee himself, but rather the copy-editor for cgs).

"Pixel Magic used ZBrush with Maya for foregrounds,"

Pixel Magic themselves:

"...3D was LightWave, for us it encompassed everything from the ocean and armies to spears, arrows and shields that the guys held and threw," said Ray McIntyre Jr., Pixel Magic visual effects supervisor. "

whoya'gonna believe, huh?

:lightwave btw

djlithium
03-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah, Lightwave seems to get the short end of the stick when it comes to articles. It's like the maya and xsi marketing people pay the magazines money to keep lightwave from being mentioned at all.
For some interesting reading though about how LW is used on BSG, check out my tutorial here on our shot break out methods.
http://www.battlestarvfx.com

Dirk
03-16-2007, 12:44 PM
What I would like to know is, if the video was created before or after the CGS article.

Because, the gap between the article and the video couldn't be wider.

Maybe some people felt grossly misrepresented after reading the article? Just a thought...

DogBoy
03-16-2007, 01:00 PM
What I would like to know is, if the video was created before or after the CGS article.

Because, the gap between the article and the video couldn't be wider.

Maybe some people felt grossly misrepresented after reading the article? Just a thought...

That is a good point :thumbsup:
I reckon Screaming Death Monkey don't have funky enough hair cuts for CGS :devil:

Dexter2999
03-16-2007, 01:11 PM

LOL, "LightWave, It's Hollywoods Dirty Little Secret."

Speedmonk42
03-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah, Lightwave seems to get the short end of the stick when it comes to articles. It's like the maya and xsi marketing people pay the magazines money to keep lightwave from being mentioned at all.
For some interesting reading though about how LW is used on BSG, check out my tutorial here on our shot break out methods.
http://www.battlestarvfx.com

It really is just the opposite. They pay to have themselves mentioned, which if you buy enough has the same effect.

This is how the media works. It is all for sale.

There is truly very little journalism.

The people here just happen to be involved in the end of a segment where where the stark reality of that comes into play.

Imagine what is like for things you don't know anything about.... how would you ever tell.

CNN....Home & Garden Magazine....Boat World....whatever.

It's all paid for, directly or indirectly. There is no news, and journalism is %90 a self propagating lie.

colkai
03-17-2007, 03:48 AM
Truthspeak, right there.

So here we are, running LW on the raggedy edge. ;)

Elmar Moelzer
03-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, thats bribes and politics.
This unfortunately happens in all areas and places...
Imagine that, at least here in Austria, the decisions which medical treatment you get and who is going to treat you, are for a wide part a political decision and of course bribes are always involved. Corporations like the big S....s and H-1 F-1 and others bribe government payed decision makers to make sure their products get into hospitals, which are payed for and managed by the government (and therefore the taxpayer), unless they are private and expensive facilities.
Small companies get very little chance to get through all this, especially if you are not a member of one of the big political parties here.
It pisses me of to an extent that I can hardly describe.
One day I am so gonna go public with all the **** I had to take here lately, really. It happened in Germany recently, gotta happen here in Austria too, better sooner than later.
Bribed politician scumm, everywhere...
CU
Elmar

AbnRanger
03-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, thats bribes and politics.
This unfortunately happens in all areas and places...
Imagine that, at least here in Austria, the decisions which medical treatment you get and who is going to treat you, are for a wide part a political decision and of course bribes are always involved. Corporations like the big S....s and H-1 F-1 and others bribe government payed decision makers to make sure their products get into hospitals, which are payed for and managed by the government (and therefore the taxpayer), unless they are private and expensive facilities.
Small companies get very little chance to get through all this, especially if you are not a member of one of the big political parties here.
It pisses me of to an extent that I can hardly describe.
One day I am so gonna go public with all the **** I had to take here lately, really. It happened in Germany recently, gotta happen here in Austria too, better sooner than later.
Bribed politician scumm, everywhere...
CU
ElmarWhy, it's not bribery..it's...it's...MARKETING.:devil:
I can't understand why it would otherwise be necessary to list what programs were used on a project. They should, like CineFX does, leave that part out as much as possible.

It's perfectly appropriate for Newtek or any other company interviewing studio personnel who used their product on a given production, to promote their software in that manner. It's marketing, and they don't present it as anything but.
However, the way it's done in these types of articles, is a sneaky, underhanded method, using only partial-truths, to stick an Autodesk or XSI Banner/Ad in the midst of the body text...implying that they were used exclusively or at least dominantly in the project.

colkai
03-18-2007, 03:37 AM
..Or worse, slapping the logo for another software package right over a shot done in LW. I recall this has happened more than once.

DogBoy
03-18-2007, 04:22 AM
..Or worse, slapping the logo for another software package right over a shot done in LW. I recall this has happened more than once.

I attended a talk by Joe Letteri last year on his work on Kong. Before the talk AutoDesk ran a show reel of their work.
There were shots done in LightWave in it, but they could safely show them as theirs as the shots had gone through Combustion.

They didn't say that of course, but it wasn't lying.

tonybliss
03-18-2007, 05:37 AM
BOYCOTT ????? That is the problem ... Kurtis posted a thread at CGSociety and to date only two replies ... from Cgsociety mod Roberto Ortiz and myself ...
I think it would help to bump the thread and posted your opinions there ... Hey even get the LW guys who worked on it to post their bits there too ...
Come on and lets get our game goin' guys ;)

tyrot
03-18-2007, 06:04 AM
dear cgswami

that is the difference.

We dont belong to CGsociety.

We belong to LWSociety.

A Lightwaver is totally different than other application users. As jeremy Hunt's once more proved that , One guy=One Scene. That is LW way. And he managed to create one of the most spectacular Smoke-cloud effect with our basic tools. And i just cant wait what they will come up with after this cycle.

So no further explanation is needed...

BEST

Kuzey
03-18-2007, 06:24 AM
CGsociety was great for about six months way back when, but it changed into something similar to smoking a mouth full of cigarets in one go.

Call the fire brigade...says the non smoker :hey:

Kuzey

tonybliss
03-18-2007, 06:31 AM
well tyrot, kurtis and nt should not post there I take, everything should be taken with a grain of salt and not entirely overread.
I suppose also then that cgsociety should remove the LW thread completly.
I visit there for vue, messiah and syflex(lol) related forums but I am a lw guy and I peek at what is inside; is that wrong then as a 3d artist as opposed to a lw artist who should fall into the category of a 3d artist
But as you said no further explanation is needed ;)

Cheers!!

tyrot
03-18-2007, 07:06 AM
dear cgswami

i mean what is the point of staying there as a lightwaver? they banned larry, simply supported all LW bashers, never mentioned LW in their stories. So They ignore LW why we dont ignore them as well.

I check other forums there as well...My point (can be a problematic point of view) and boycotting idea was for LW thread only.

I dont know but 3dWorld doesnt mention Lightwave, CGSociety simply overlooking Lightwave...Something is very wrong here.

I wish to hear Chuck's or other NT marketing guys' idea about the issue. What do they plan?

I can see a general marketing trap laid upon NT and its great tools. So as devoted users we can really do our best to overcome this ignorance. If they want us to infest CGsociety, well we can i guess... If they say No do not care about that place ...we can do that too.

LW is putting bread on our table, making us Rich and Happy and inspired everyday. SO supporting LW in everywhere at least for me a very important issue.

(BTW i liked that tapping avatar of yours..)
Best

tonybliss
03-18-2007, 07:49 AM
I do want to support LW ... that is one of the reasons I introduced it as the main 3d program to teach students here in Trinidad ... with many a success. Yes, I used 3d studio max(3.1 - 5) within a 5 year period and was very knowledgeable with it, and I was further taught Maya from an English based industry professional(former LooseMoose artist); however choose LW because or the artsy feel it has to it and I know when NT works out its CA toolset it will become even more artist friendly; apart from CA workflow constraints(not a major issue) the students enjoy their new found passion ... 3D
However I do hear what you are saying tyrot and I do think if CGS did not want LW users, marketing to voice their opinions then they would not of have a dedicated thread to LW and allow NT to market stuff they left out; as I said Roberto Ortiz cgsociety forum moderator congratulated NT on the very same 300 thread. 3D world addressed their error of omission with LW quite boldly on their letter page making Jennifer's letter the lentter of the month ... I laugh when I saw it and their reply. As said before in this thread NT needs a more aggressive marketing approach to things of this nature ... we can help them by removing our very own fears and limitations and showing what we have done in LW and what others are doing. I myself am preparing my demo reel to show what I have done and am doing in LW also for my students. It can only help

Thanks for the compliment on my avatar :D. Thats my second passion after 3D :devil:

avkills
03-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Hmmm, I've been doing some of the lighting challenges over there, and I make it quite known I am using Lightwave, and nobody in that particular forum has bashed me about it. In fact this week I plan on re-visiting some of them and applying the new tools in 9.2 and doing a re-post.

But I also agree that CGS should have mentioned the extensive use of LW on this film, it comes down to bad journalism.

In a lot of ways; Newtek reminds me of Apple; always the underdog being shunned by the mainstream. I'm a Mac user also. Double whammy for me.

-mark

toby
03-18-2007, 03:16 PM
NewTek video profile features artists discussing LightWave 3DŽ VFX work
Jesus, who decided to put that obnoxiously loud, distracting music in the background??

colkai
03-19-2007, 04:19 AM
It's at times like that, I wish MOVs had both an audio and music track so I could turn the darned thing down/off.

Imatk
03-19-2007, 05:19 PM
All I know is there were quite a few Maya guys here that were stunned to know that Lightwave was used for a lot of the 300 shots.

I think Newtek should pimp this all OVER the place. Do a whole spread on CGTalk, do stories in the mags etc. etc.

This is such a hot movie it REALLY would show that Lightwave is not only used in film production but is a viable stand-alone option.... read (we don't need Maya to make film fx with Lightwave).

Congrats to Newtek and to all of the artists who worked on this movie... and please please get this word out there!

Intuition
03-19-2007, 06:06 PM
All I know is there were quite a few Maya guys here that were stunned to know that Lightwave was used for a lot of the 300 shots.

I think Newtek should pimp this all OVER the place. Do a whole spread on CGTalk, do stories in the mags etc. etc.

This is such a hot movie it REALLY would show that Lightwave is not only used in film production but is a viable stand-alone option.... read (we don't need Maya to make film fx with Lightwave).

Congrats to Newtek and to all of the artists who worked on this movie... and please please get this word out there!

And by "here" Jamie means Zoic.

:thumbsup:

Dodgy
03-23-2007, 03:48 PM
I notice in the new 3dworld coverage of 300, they mention fusion, but not that LW was used for the dynamics....

colkai
03-26-2007, 03:21 AM
Ahh, but only because they were talking about compositing I think. I don't recall seeing mention of any other software but Fusion.

Bog
03-26-2007, 09:38 AM
I would say it's definately Ad Buy Time for NewTek - make a big song-and-dance out of the work on 300, for sure.