PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Visual Effects Houses Bring Hyper-Reality to Box Office Smash "300"

Kurtis
03-15-2007, 03:45 PM
LightWave® Visual Effects Houses Bring Hyper-Reality to Box Office Smash "300"
NewTek video profile features artists discussing LightWave 3D® VFX work

San Antonio, TX – March 15, 2007 -- NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading 3D animation and video products, today announced the release of a behind-the-scenes video featuring the creation of visual effects sequences for Warner Bros., 300, the visually stunning adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novel. Creating over 200 visual effects shots, Pixel Magic and Screaming Death Monkey put the full feature set of LightWave 3D® to work creating everything from set extensions to living smoke, oceans, skies, helmets, shields, swords, arrows and armies. The video may be viewed by following this link: www.LightWave3D.com/profiles/300

Full press release... (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-15-07a.html)

Bog
03-15-2007, 03:55 PM
SMACKDOWN!!!!

Way to go, everyone!

*waves wireless mouse over his head and screams "Molon Labe!" at Autodesk*

esper8
03-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Just watched the movie trailers, great stuff! Can't wait to see it on the big screen

*Also waves his mouse over his head, but nearly throttles himself cos it's not a wireless one*

Wickster
03-15-2007, 04:42 PM
As the Spartans once said...PWNED!!!

Tzan
03-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Exclamations eh? well here is a new one just for 300.

Carpe Hema!!

JamesCurtis
03-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Hey Kurtis, the video download link on the page isn't working!

MooseDog
03-15-2007, 06:04 PM
marketing is sure earning their salaries these days. another top shelf presentation, featuring the top movie in the country this weekend. whoa, did i just say that? w/lightwave?
SMACKDOWN!!!!

wtg gents:thumbsup: as well as to the very talented artists who worked on this film.

Bog
03-15-2007, 06:06 PM
*stands on his desk waving his mouse and keyboard*

COME AND TAKE THEM!!!!

*2A* *RKBA*

Wickster
03-15-2007, 06:16 PM
*stands on his desk waving his mouse and keyboard*

COME AND TAKE THEM!!!!

*2A* *RKBA*
I hope you're not wearing your Spartan battle outfit of a red cape and underwear. :D

Bog
03-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm pretty much skyclad actually, Wickster ol' buddy.

Feels like...

...like air.

Why?

Kurtis
03-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey Kurtis, the video download link on the page isn't working!

Ok. In-page link is working now.

tyrot
03-15-2007, 07:20 PM
dear kurtis

i m speechless. Kudos to everyone...

I really wonder what s gonna happen next in the industry when the 9th Cycle completes.

And Kudos to Jeremy Hunt, he never stops inspiring us with his work, good ol' 405 days..

Best UPDATE (well since 9.2 updates)

UnCommonGrafx
03-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow.

Kudos to the LightWave team.

Let's get each and every bug in the list so we can get 9.5 a rollin'!

Please feed the bugBase. I think that's gonna be my new tag line...

jasonwestmas
03-15-2007, 08:42 PM
well there's one positive comment on the dynamics heh, heh, not that I know what to think about that. :D

jin choung
03-15-2007, 08:47 PM
coooooool.

"sieze the blood?"

it was pretty cool but there were times when the movie felt very "small"... like the actors were indeed constrained to a small stage. felt "sound stagey" at parts.

but then again, there were lots of parts that seemed much larger than should be possible.

dang, it woulda been fun working on that smoke scene... the actress who plays the oracle is quite nude under the gauze and the gauze liberally and generously moves out of the way for you too!

in general, the movie is a hard-R for lots of violence and lots nudity and sex. quite refreshing in that regard.

but for fans of the comic, i would say the movie is a bit less thrilling than the comic but that's just my opinion.

jin

jasonwestmas
03-15-2007, 08:56 PM
I wonder what they were rendering exactly. . . Fast? I've never heared that before about LW. Though quality, ease of use and the 'pretty' factor go a long way, but I guess that depends on what features you are using.

AbnRanger
03-15-2007, 11:30 PM
LightWave® Visual Effects Houses Bring Hyper-Reality to Box Office Smash "300"
NewTek video profile features artists discussing LightWave 3D® VFX work

Full press release... (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-15-07a.html)
Come on Kurtis...let us hear it....

THIS...IS...LIGHTWAVE!!!!
as he kicks Proton out of his chair :D

"Twinkies and Coca Cola?...Oh you'll find plenty of both down there."

Bog
03-16-2007, 04:11 AM
It is a goooood day :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one ranting and foaming - I get enough of that in nightclubs - but this is just luvverly. Gettin' a bit of a habit on Frank Miller movies, aren't we? Half the VFX on Sin City, all the effects on 300 - reckon they'll make Watchmen all-CGI so we can have the whole can? ;)

DogBoy
03-16-2007, 04:18 AM
Kurtis, smooze this onto some of those other sites. Let's get some buzz going.
:thumbsup:

DogBoy
03-16-2007, 04:24 AM
Half the VFX on Sin City, all the effects on 300 - reckon they'll make Watchmen all-CGI so we can have the whole can? ;)

If you look at the press about this, 300 is a XSI & Maya production.
All of the effects is an exaggeration. Most would be truer, though I have a nasty feeling it is some.

More importantly, we need to advertise this further than the NT website. We need to make some noise.

Plakkie
03-16-2007, 04:31 AM
O man! Still gotta see the film, but have been looking forward to it for some time. And now Lightwave did the effect shots?!!

Way to go Newtek!! :D :jam: :beerchug: :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the movie with my friends and halfway through drop that little bit of news. :D

Kuzey
03-16-2007, 05:32 AM
More importantly, we need to advertise this further than the NT website. We need to make some noise.

The flash movie is far to large for my connection to watch it, but it would be great if it was broken up and posted on youtube :beerchug:

Kuzey

*Pete*
03-16-2007, 11:11 AM
last month i finished reading a book about the greek-persian war, the book was as historically accurate as it can be so long after the events.

i wish i had not read it now, becouse i want to see this movie....knowing myself i will sit there and whine things like "bah, it wasnt Leonidas who kicked the ambassador down the well, it was his father..."

robk
03-16-2007, 08:42 PM
I got an email from CGsociety and there is a new article on cgsociety about the 300 movie and guess what. Not one single mention of Lightwave beeing used. It is a interview of the visual effect designer and effects director Grant Freckelton and he mentions all the subcontractors used for graphics on the film. Pixel Magic is mentioned but Screaming Death Monkey is not mentioned whatsoever.
There are links to the visual effects companies used and links to software used: Adobe Photoshop, Softimage/XSI, Zbrush and Maya. Gee I wonder what software is missing??????????????
This is a perfect example of why Lightwave gets no respect. On Newtek's site we read and article and view a video about how Lightwave was used on the movie and it gets all us Lightwavers Pumped up. The I read this Article on CGsociety and I just shake my head and think another lost oppertunity for Newtek to Push the advantages of Lightwave.
It just pisses me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is the link http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...?story_id=3979

DogBoy
03-17-2007, 02:37 AM
I mailed about just those points, saying it was a bit naughty to miss one of the contractors and not mention LightWave as it was used substantially on the production.

They didn't reply :D

DogBoy
03-17-2007, 02:41 AM
I mailed about just those points, saying it was a bit naughty to miss one of the contractors and not mention LightWave as it was used substantially on the production.

They didn't reply :D

(That is also why I said for Kurtis to push this)

DogBoy
03-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Much biases site?

Seems that way.

Kuzey
03-17-2007, 06:22 AM
Did anybody start a thread on CGS and correct that article with a link to the Newtek article ??

Come on guys do it and do it now...I would but I haven't been there for sooooo long :hey:

Kuzey

CAClark
03-17-2007, 10:51 AM
The reality is that most productions feature a mixture of applications anyway, almost every major feature from framestore features significant use of Lightwave, but that is never made a big deal of.

Cheers!

Bog
03-18-2007, 04:36 PM
And as long as everyone puts up and shuts up about LW's light being hidden under a bushel, that's the way it'll remain.

Gotta make a noise!

Anti-Distinctly
03-19-2007, 03:23 AM
here is the link http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...?story_id=3979

Link is dead.

This is it: http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3979

Kuzey
03-19-2007, 06:11 AM
And as long as everyone puts up and shuts up about LW's light being hidden under a bushel, that's the way it'll remain.

Gotta make a noise!

Another thing that can be done is Newtek together with Screaming Death Monkey should run paid ads in mags and what not. Maybe they can have an article version of the video in that link :thumbsup:

Makes sense to me...since LW9.2 is coming soon :help: :newtek: :help:

Kuzey

Kuzey
03-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Having said that, it would have been better if the articles/ads were out a month before the film came out.

Kuzey

Wickster
03-19-2007, 12:23 PM
I would love to see Screaming Death Monkey and Pixel Magic at SIGGRAPH 2007 talking about Lightwave and 300.

cagey5
03-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Anyone noticed that Lightwave now gets a mention at the bottom of the article :thumbsup: :D

I wonder if it had anything to do with the e-mail I sent the editor.

Kuzey
03-20-2007, 05:30 AM
Anyone noticed that Lightwave now gets a mention at the bottom of the article :thumbsup: :D

I wonder if it had anything to do with the e-mail I sent the editor.

I would guess you weren't the only one :thumbsup:

:beerchug:

I'm not sure if LW was used in Spiderman 3, but if it was...it would be great promo if Newtek would replace the Spider logo on the costume with the LW logo and run an ad or two.

That would be super cool!!!

:beerchug:

Kuzey

Beaker
03-20-2007, 05:38 AM
I'm not sure if LW was used in Spiderman 3, but if it was...it would be great promo if Newtek would replace the Spider logo on the costume with the LW logo and run an ad or two.

At least until they got sued out of existence by Marvel and Sony. :D

Kuzey
03-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Naaa...that won't happen, not for a print ad I don't think :hey:

Otherwise, if Newtek or anybody else mentioned the name of the film or used a promo shot in an article could get sued.

And of course Newtek would ask for permission first :beerchug:

Kuzey

LW_jackn
03-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Heh heh, I remember when one of the TD's for Roughneck's used a LW logo on Diz's T-shirt for an Academy shot...

Talk about a scramble for permission agreements...

:D

Wickster
03-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Hey whatta you know, the 300: Created by Lightwave version is now on the front news of CGSociety. They must have heard the noise we're all makin here.

avkills
03-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes I noticed that today. Makes them look real stupid.

-mark

AbnRanger
03-21-2007, 01:58 AM
Hey whatta you know, the 300: Created by Lightwave version is now on the front news of CGSociety. They must have heard the noise we're all makin here.Noticed how short it is? You can tell it was a rush job...little more than an amendment to the original article.

Beaker
03-21-2007, 04:07 AM
Noticed how short it is? You can tell it was a rush job...little more than an amendment to the original article.

Maybe, but I don't think LW would've even gotten that not all that long ago.

colkai
03-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Yup, agree, gotta be grateful for breakin ground where ya can. It's an improvement after all

Bog
03-21-2007, 07:10 AM
In a way, it's hardly surprising - the LW8 cycle was a bit lacklustre, and LW didn't particularly have that much of an advantage.

The 9 cycle is a whole new kettle of fish - suddenly, LW is looking like a much, much more professional option. The new additions and speedups - not to mention the bug-squishing - is putting us right back in the game. Which is great!

Jay and The Boys (sounds like an 80s boy band ;) ) are feeling a warm glow right now at this big chunk'o proof that their efforts are having a real and direct affect on the Industry.

Now we just have to get all the CG publications used to saying "LightWave" again. It's not a hard word to spell, I'm sure it'll be fine ;)

marc
03-22-2007, 04:37 AM
Didn't read the whole thread but just wanted to add my opinion on the movie, the LW-profile movie, that is: great, but next time please turn off the hectic music when people are talking!

Marc (who thought 300 was crap)

AbnRanger
03-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Didn't read the whole thread but just wanted to add my opinion on the movie, the LW-profile movie, that is: great, but next time please turn off the hectic music when people are talking!

Marc (who thought 300 was crap):agree: ...at least adjust the volume downward considerably when someone is speaking.

jayroth
03-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Next time we will use the Flying Lizards rendition of "That's What I Want..."

Intuition
03-22-2007, 02:35 PM

Marc (who thought 300 was crap)

If by "crap" you mean... Totally F'n Roxxzorxz the house down.

Then yes I loved it too. :D

Ok, back to your regularly Scheduled Thread....

Jay, I think that's a great song choice. :thumbsup:

AbnRanger
03-22-2007, 03:49 PM
If by "crap" you mean... Totally F'n Roxxzorxz the house down.

Then yes I loved it too. :D

Ok, back to your regularly Scheduled Thread....

Jay, I think that's a great song choice. :thumbsup:Saw it twice already...some critics also thought it was crap...I guess making over $100 million in one week means the public definitely thought otherwise...
Really, what the hades do critics freakin know, anyhow? They'd find something cynical to say about a free dinner.

Bog
03-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Professional Critic. Man, what a job. Wonder if they have a standard response to comments like "If you knew anything useful, you'd have a real job!"

Oooh. Cold.

LW_jackn
03-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Some people would find something wrong with a free bag of $1 million dollars...

Just amazes me how bitter and negative some people can be...

DogBoy
03-23-2007, 03:08 AM
Next time we will use the Flying Lizards rendition of "That's What I Want..."

LOL, that would be so cool. I was in love wi' that track when I was a kid :thumbsup: .

That being said, dial it down when folk are talking :thumbsup: .

Kuzey
03-23-2007, 06:15 AM
A funny thing is happening, the more ads I see...the less I want to see the film. :devil:

Anyway, when did the Spartans look and talk un-spartan like :hey:

On the other hand, I'm dying to see the film based on the Mayan culture...that looks so much better than 300 :D

kuzey

DogBoy
03-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Anyway, when did the Spartans look and talk un-spartan like :hey:

I felt the same way, but I've decided to just go wi' the flow.

Frank Miller isn't reknowned for his authentic dialogue, and I don't remember Spartans wearing leather codpieces either (nor the Persians being piercing fetishists).

On the other hand, I'm dying to see the film based on the Mayan culture...that looks so much better than 300 :D

If you mean Apocalypto, stay clear. When they get to the Mayan city it does look beautiful, but the film has the dodgiest subtext I've ever seen. I'll not repeat it as we are trying to avoid flame wars about politics and religion. Let's just say I wasn't impressed.

Actually, no, there was a trailer shown wi' Apocalypto that was worse: Vikings attack ancient America, ravish the Native Americans and leave.
But, woops :eek: , they left one of their kids behind.
Years pass and he is raised by the locals, and only he can save them from the Vikings when they return.

Tarzan of the Arapaho. This was so wrong on so many levels I almost walked out of the cinema :D .

P.S. If you do go and see Apocalypto, watch the trailer afterwards. I swear only one actor and the jaguar (probably) actually appear in the final movie ....and it isn't the main character :D

Kuzey
03-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Now my head really hurts :D

Yes, I meant the Mel Gibson one, but it sounds as if it would have been better had he stayed far away from it.

Where is a great movie when you need one :D

Kuzey

ercaxus
03-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Actually, no, there was a trailer shown wi' Apocalypto that was worse: Vikings attack ancient America, ravish the Native Americans and leave.
But, woops , they left one of their kids behind.
Years pass and he is raised by the locals, and only he can save them from the Vikings when they return.

I saw that too. The idea is so bright and original, it brought tears to my eyes. It's just plain horrible.

I liked 300 btw. It made me realize how out of shape I was. Time to make some six packs :)

"Spartans, today we do some sit-ups!!"

CAClark
03-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Some people would find something wrong with a free bag of $1 million dollars...

Just amazes me how bitter and negative some people can be...

Nature of the beast Jack, the trick is to spot which ones are real opinions, and which are on a mission. But the thing to remember is it matters not if people think the film is ****, because it's so subjective, but good VFX isn't subjective, and that isn't altered be movie opinions as such.

The work from 300 I have seen looks very cool indeed, but as a film, at best I'll see it on DVD, cos it isn't my cup of tea as a movie. It's all cool though.

Cheers!

jasonwestmas
03-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Beyond math, everything is subjective, which is my opinion which is again, very subjective, but math. . . isn't.

Bytehawk
03-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Wow !!!!

CAClark
03-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Beyond math, everything is subjective, which is my opinion which is again, very subjective, but math. . . isn't.

VFX are only subjective if compared to an individuals ability (or lack of) :p

jasonwestmas
03-24-2007, 07:55 AM
VFX are only subjective if compared to an individuals ability (or lack of) :p

But isn't 'Style' a factor in VFX? Isn't Style subjective?

avkills
03-24-2007, 10:08 AM
I'd say everything visual is subjective. Ones man's trash is another's treasure so to speak.

I never really let politics or religion influence my decision on whether a film is good or not. It's better to just have an open mind on such things.

-mark

tonybliss
03-24-2007, 10:57 AM
I really enjoyed 300 fantastic job .. i'd say...
nice erected nipples ... good cg, nice storyline, surrealistic setting .. reminent of Frank Miller I'd say :D

CAClark
03-25-2007, 08:54 AM
But isn't 'Style' a factor in VFX? Isn't Style subjective?

Dunno, iwas not being serious with those replies :)

jasonwestmas
03-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Dunno, iwas not being serious with those replies :)

Well DAmn ;)

gaetan
03-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi Guys, I did a couple of shots for this movie and I use only Lightwave.
I did like 50 shots in this film, like all of snow with the Wolf, The BG and the FG rain, I did with clothFx the cutting giants head, i did with hardfx The helmet effect with dusts, i did with clothfx, all the the black flags in the battle.

we did 540 shots of this movie all the modeling and the animation were done with XSI, but the modeler use me for procedural modeling like rock, I add details on his rock model.

Gaetan

prospector
03-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Is anyones hair prickling on the back of thier neck???

alifx
03-26-2007, 08:25 AM
thanks gaetan for the Info ^_^

good job ^ ^

jasonwestmas
03-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Man, I'm hearing a lot about how the LW Dynamics got a lot of use for '300'. Makes me want to look into it deeper.

Cageman
03-30-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm quite stunned that LW-dynamics (which is one of the weakest in the market in most situations) got so much use in this movie. It really proves that it's really up to the artist to get good results! I don't think highly of LWs dymaics, but this movie proves to me that it can be done by the right people behind the computers!

Kudos to all involved in making LW seen!! :)

EDIT: First it was The Guardian and now 300... what movie will be the next? :)

Cageman
03-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi Guys, I did a couple of shots for this movie and I use only Lightwave.
I did like 50 shots in this film, like all of snow with the Wolf, The BG and the FG rain, I did with clothFx the cutting giants head, i did with hardfx The helmet effect with dusts, i did with clothfx, all the the black flags in the battle.

we did 540 shots of this movie all the modeling and the animation were done with XSI, but the modeler use me for procedural modeling like rock, I add details on his rock model.

Gaetan

So, did you guys render every shot in LW? (you mention XSI for modeling and animation, LightWave for dynamics)... Just wondering what you rendered with... thats all.. :)

Stooch
03-30-2007, 08:16 PM
I liked it. Dont care what software was used on it. wasnt thinking about that.

Cageman
03-31-2007, 03:10 AM
I liked it. Dont care what software was used on it. wasnt thinking about that.

Yeah... in a perfect world everyone would think like that and get equal respect for a job well done. But as a working member in this industry I always want to know how something was done. And then the app names start to fly... and for some reason if I mention LightWave most people look at me like I'm THE idiot of the day.

Actually, I was at the Autodesk/ILM event in Malmö (SWEDEN) yesterday and at the mingleparty afterwards we talked to some people from Ghost (VFX/Commercial company in Denmark) who were quite interrested in what we were doing over at Massive Entertainments Cinematics Team. When we mentioned LightWave they were like "What? Why? How?"..etc... it was like they were interrested in a position in our team, but scared to death to actually have to use anything else than Maya. It was quite interresting to see their reactions though. I giggled inside.. :)

Kuzey
03-31-2007, 06:16 AM
I saw it, wasn't that great but still watchable unlike any of the newer star wars films :D

What I liked about the film was the colour, the queen and the smoke girl....other than that it had a ton of holes :hey:

But they did get the title half right, I mean it should have been:

300 scenes you already seen and heard from other movies/tv ads :hey:

Kuzey

xfulcrumx
04-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I saw it, wasn't that great but still watchable unlike any of the newer star wars films :D

What I liked about the film was the colour, the queen and the smoke girl....other than that it had a ton of holes :hey:

But they did get the title half right, I mean it should have been:

300 scenes you already seen and heard from other movies/tv ads :hey:

Kuzey

Well was it a Movie or a History lesson ??. gotta love it when people say -such and such movie has holes in it, it wasnt accurate.blah blah. ,ect ect.

its a movie.

AbnRanger
04-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Well was it a Movie or a History lesson ??. gotta love it when people say -such and such movie has holes in it, it wasnt accurate.blah blah. ,ect ect.

its a movie.Unlike most Hollywood flicks, at least it was largely based on a real historical event...and they don't market it as being 100% accurate, but are using a good deal or artistic license (translation...they exaggerated things to put people in the seats) :D

I saw the 1hr special on the History Channel, about the battle. Fascinating stuff. They really did have 300 crack troops to LEAD a few thousand from surrounding city states. Just like the motto,"Rangers Lead the Way" (in the US Army), that's essentially what these guys were during that period. They really were "Bad to the Bone," and killed on the order of 20,000 Persians in 2 days, including Xerxes best troops.

xfulcrumx
04-01-2007, 06:59 PM
yeah I know the story and told it to my father in law like 10 years ago. there are similar stories of battles like this one...

I dont go too or watch a movie Expecting it to be historicaly accurate, even when I watch a movie thats Inaccurate I could really care less . I just want to have Fun watching movie , Im not looking to take quiz test coming out of the theatre .

I cant think of movie off hand , that everyone has agreed was 100% accurate
or True or what not . blah , who cares , read a book . movies are fun ,exciting
and so on ... we could make a list of movies that wer called true/accurate
based on Real events and Im sure we would have people for and against each one..... I'll leave it at that , have fun at the movies and let the historians worry about accuracy.

Kuzey
04-02-2007, 06:59 AM

its a movie.

Nice try, but did I say the holes related to history, no the holes I talk about are movie related :D

For instance, the narrator in the film is telling Spartans how a Spartan are/were made. Hello, the last time I looked, a person who lived through their histroy would know the story. Now that would have worked if the Spartan hunchback was the narrator and telling the story to the enemy...but that wasn't the case.

The scene where the baby spartan is looked over to see if it had any defects is all wrong. It's common sense to examine the baby at the time and place they were born, not at the dumping ground...unless of it's also the birth place of spartan.

Another thing about that dump site, with the amount of bodies their it gave me the impression that spartan married within their own family. If you remember the scene when the king spartan as a kid was forced out to come back as a man...his mother looked alot like persent queen. So the question is....is the queen and king brother and sister :eek:

The scene where the spartan lost his head shouldn't have happened. For one thing, being the best warriors on the planet they would have had quick reflexes. That and his father should have/could have warned him but he didn't, not to mention the other spartan could have helped him. There were like 5 to 10 seconds for them to do something before he died.

The spartan king kills the messenger, breaking the rules of war and then goes out to meet the enemy king, without even trying to kill him there and then. Why break the rule once and then follow them later :hey:
Also during that scene I kept thinking both king should have sex already and get it over and done with. The film was almost as gay as LOTR...not there's anything wrong with it :hey:

When the narrator leaves the battle, he says hundreds also left yet moments later he talks of the "300" again as if they were still a full force.

The smoke dance was stolen from the magnum ice cream tv ads....now that was sexy.

The hunchback is the same character from LOTR the one who's after the ring and both double cross the lead characters. The giant men are the rock creatures in LOTR and I think they were even chained up the same way.

The queen has sex with the politician, why not have him killed from the start?

The king goes out to wage war and yet a hand full of non soldiers join him. That tells me he wasn't repsected or loved by his people, otherwise by the time he got to his destination there would have been an army of 100,000....no matter what the gods or politicians said.

Why did it take a year to form the spartan army at the end and what happened to the queen in that time?

The arrow scene, now that takes movie making back to the 1930's :) A million or more arrows a fired into the air and only fifty or so land around the spartans...that was very funny and they did it twice :)

Why were there no night battles. As far as I could tell only an hour past from the start of the fight to the end....there were no sense of time passing anywhere.

That's just some of them and I hope it helped out some :)

PS.. the dialogue was just as bad as the CSI shows.

Kuzey

AbnRanger
04-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Nice try, but did I say the holes related to history, no the holes I talk about are movie related :D

For instance, the narrator in the film is telling Spartans how a Spartan are/were made. Hello, the last time I looked, a person who lived through their histroy would know the story. Now that would have worked if the Spartan hunchback was the narrator and telling the story to the enemy...but that wasn't the case.

The scene where the baby spartan is looked over to see if it had any defects is all wrong. It's common sense to examine the baby at the time and place they were born, not at the dumping ground...unless of it's also the birth place of spartan.

Another thing about that dump site, with the amount of bodies their it gave me the impression that spartan married within their own family. If you remember the scene when the king spartan as a kid was forced out to come back as a man...his mother looked alot like persent queen. So the question is....is the queen and king brother and sister :eek:

The scene where the spartan lost his head shouldn't have happened. For one thing, being the best warriors on the planet they would have had quick reflexes. That and his father should have/could have warned him but he didn't, not to mention the other spartan could have helped him. There were like 5 to 10 seconds for them to do something before he died.

The spartan king kills the messenger, breaking the rules of war and then goes out to meet the enemy king, without even trying to kill him there and then. Why break the rule once and then follow them later :hey:
Also during that scene I kept thinking both king should have sex already and get it over and done with. The film was almost as gay as LOTR...not there's anything wrong with it :hey:

When the narrator leaves the battle, he says hundreds also left yet moments later he talks of the "300" again as if they were still a full force.

The smoke dance was stolen from the magnum ice cream tv ads....now that was sexy.

The hunchback is the same character from LOTR the one who's after the ring and both double cross the lead characters. The giant men are the rock creatures in LOTR and I think they were even chained up the same way.

The king goes out to wage war and yet a hand full of non soldiers join him. That tells me he wasn't repsected or loved by his people, otherwise by the time he got to his destination there would have been an army of 100,000....no matter what the gods or politicians said.

Why did it take a year to form the spartan army at the end and what happened to the queen in that time?

The arrow scene, now that takes movie making back to the 1930's :) A million or more arrows a fired into the air and only fifty or so land around the spartans...that was very funny and they did it twice :)

Why were there no night battles. As far as I could tell only an hour past from the start of the fight to the end....there were no sense of time passing anywhere.

Kuzeykind of sounds like a normal day in Washington to me...:D

tonybliss
04-02-2007, 10:05 AM
LOL nitpicker!!!

toby
04-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Wow man, that is nit-picky. 300 has a few problems, but that doesn't make it bad.

He was talking about the Arcadians leaving. They weren't a part of the 300. And the Spartans were referred to the 300 even after there were only a few left, like when they were in the turtle formation at the end - because it's easier than saying "the ones that were a part of the original 300", or "the 212" then "the 164". In other words, you don't call white wine "Yellow wine" because that's 'really' what color it is.

Why were there no night battles.
It took place in one day.

As far as I could tell only an hour past from the start of the fight to the end....there were no sense of time passing anywhere.
That was probably because it was all shot on bluescreen, much easier to mimic overcast lighting than the sun. But it's certainly not unrealistic to have overcast days by the sea is it? So why do you have a problem now?

You go right ahead and make an air-tight 100% realistic movie - it'll be the most expensive bomb in history. Visuals and story are much more important. The fight choreography was great, the compositing was great, much better than King Kong and even some shots in Pirates 2. Look at the designs of the immortals' outfits, the ships torn apart in the storm, the detail in Leonidis' damaged helmet. The way the Spartans eyes and teeth stood out from their darkened faces inside their helmets, creating a menacing grimmace. That wasn't a mistake. 1st rate stuff!

This level of nit-pickyness would keep you from liking anything ever made, and it should have kept you from even seeing 300. Did the Matrix suck? Because any intelligence that wanted to keep humans under control would've put them in the Bronze age or Dark age instead of the Computer age. What a crappy movie!

I have to agree with you there. The dialogue was worse than Conan the Barbarian! "No retreat! No surrender! No prisoners!" wtf?? The narrator was the worst, he didn't look the least bit Mediterranean either. When I get the movie on BluRay I hope there's an Italian track on it, or even Japanese. Otherwise I'll have to turn the sound off.

DogBoy
04-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Kuzey, I think you took this way too seriously. This movie is totally inaccurate, and it wears its inaccuracy on its overly padded leather loin cloth for all to see. It was never meant to be accurate. Xerxes never had proto-ninjas with Samurai masks, but it LOOKED GOOD.
The Spartans probably didn't inspect babies on a precipice like that, but it LOOKED GOOD.
Rhino riders? Oliphants (giant elephants)? Xerxes, painted gold, dressed like a stripper, caressing the phallic horns of his infeasibly large throne? Spartans from Edinburgh, Essex and the Home Counties? I think you were in the wrong movie if you were looking for accuracy, try the History Channel :D . Heck, they even roped in Lupin from the Harry Potter films to cameo as the Mangiest Wold in the World.

I know what you mean about internal logic, but frankly I don't think anyone who made this cared. They wanted to make the comic, and to a great extent they succeeded.

It was all about style over substance. I've not laughed out so loud in a movie since I saw Dodgeball, and such blatant mainstream homo-eroticism can only be a good thing :thumbsup: .

"Never give up! Never surrender!" ... Oops that was Galaxy Quest ;)

DogBoy
04-03-2007, 02:30 AM
I have to agree with you there. The dialogue was worse than Conan the Barbarian! "No retreat! No surrender! No prisoners!" wtf?? The narrator was the worst, he didn't look the least bit Mediterranean either. When I get the movie on BluRay I hope there's an Italian track on it, or even Japanese. Otherwise I'll have to turn the sound off.

I reckon this is a movie I could frankly watch silent.

As we left the cinema we were talking about watching it wi'out sound and maybe give it a disco or hiphop soundtrack instead.

Iain
04-03-2007, 02:37 AM
Homo eroticism and hip-hop!??!
Now there's a concept.

:hey:

DogBoy
04-03-2007, 04:01 AM
Homo eroticism and hip-hop!??!
Now there's a concept.

:hey:

Yeah, I like it too :devil:

xfulcrumx
04-03-2007, 04:30 AM

Kuzey

I'll try to answear some of your questions.allthough I admit im a little rusty on Greek history.

about the babies being inspected your right, but for the sake of the movie they prob didnt want to use a 1 day old baby.

hehe - alot of people in those days did intermarry among themselves...it was common for brother-sister to get married. but thats among most civilisations at that time...it wasnt untill sometime around after the middle ages that it was looked down upon,, Unless you wer of royal blood then it was ok..

where the guy got his head cut off , may have been for effects only...Keep in mind Spartans wer to take care of them selves, if you get killed thats your problem... Also keep in mind that Spartan warriors grew up as a warrior and
wer taught from a young age - to sleep with the fellow warriors . So yes you had -- Older warriors wer sleeping with young boy would be warriors
All Of the men wer expected to sleep with each other to form a Bond....

they wer only allowed to see there wives 1 time a year and that was to make a baby. and that was to keep the Spartan civilisation alive.

As for the messenger -- in the real story there wer many messengers and none of them wer killed.

As for the Soldiers --- the king went to war with a small army , because he chose too.. He intentionaly did not bring all the warriors of Sparta.. I'll tell you why in your next question.

1 year - The Persians came at the right time... Sparta always considered itself seperate from greece mainland.. they considered themselves to be of a better people. --- Ambassadors from the greece mainland went to sparta to ask the king for help and he turned them down several times 1) reason -- he said it wasnt a Spartan war 2)The Spartans held the Olympics as a holy time and would not stop the Olympics for any reason ..... thats why when the king finally agreed to send troops -- He would only agree to send a token force. originally around 3000 not 300 . something like that..as for the year it took , cause thats how long it took to finally convince the king to send troops.

As for the king not being loved isnt true -- the Olympics wer going on in Sparta and when he decided to go to war - he himself wanted to go , because he was too old to participate in the olympics.. Several spartan generals argued in vain to stop him , but he explained he reasons and they agreed ... 1 general was so upset about his king going to war , he took his dagger and slit himself from his foot to neck Spilling all his guts.
keep in mind the Oympics to the Spartans was a very holy time.

Arrows --- in the real story , the persians had more than 20,000 archers.
as for the movie and 50 arrows , that was prob a bad move on there part .

the real story I read in a greek history book more than 20 years ago.
you could prob find , a book about it now .. but dont get the 300 book.
get the real history -- Its Way better than the Movie and the 300 book.
Prob on Amazon.com

hope I helped ... and remember go to the movies to have fun .

Kuzey
04-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Wow man, that is nit-picky. 300 has a few problems, but that doesn't make it bad.

He was talking about the Arcadians leaving. They weren't a part of the 300. And the Spartans were referred to the 300 even after there were only a few left, like when they were in the turtle formation at the end - because it's easier than saying "the ones that were a part of the original 300", or "the 212" then "the 164". In other words, you don't call white wine "Yellow wine" because that's 'really' what color it is.

I figured it was something like that...they became a team with the name of 300 :)

It took place in one day.

See there you go, back in sparta things took atleast 4 days to get to the stage of the politicians death. Now if the long walk to war took 3 days for them to get there then that would make sense, but there was no indication of that.

That was probably because it was all shot on bluescreen, much easier to mimic overcast lighting than the sun. But it's certainly not unrealistic to have overcast days by the sea is it? So why do you have a problem now?

You go right ahead and make an air-tight 100% realistic movie - it'll be the most expensive bomb in history. Visuals and story are much more important. The fight choreography was great, the compositing was great, much better than King Kong and even some shots in Pirates 2. Look at the designs of the immortals' outfits, the ships torn apart in the storm, the detail in Leonidis' damaged helmet. The way the Spartans eyes and teeth stood out from their darkened faces inside their helmets, creating a menacing grimmace. That wasn't a mistake. 1st rate stuff!

I don't want a "100% realistic movie", I want an intelligent one were things make sense are not added to make it look good. To me it's like an episode CSI:NY or CSI:Miami, you can see it coming from a mile away and it's trash to boot...but that me since I'm a Law & Order type of person :hey:

This level of nit-pickyness would keep you from liking anything ever made, and it should have kept you from even seeing 300. Did the Matrix suck? Because any intelligence that wanted to keep humans under control would've put them in the Bronze age or Dark age instead of the Computer age. What a crappy movie!

Matrix lost most of it's value when religion came into it but it still was a great set of films. They explained that in the movie, remember they made the setting a number of different ages but each failed. The computer age has gadgets and the internet to keep us occupied.

True...true :beerchug:

I can't help myself, if the film doesn't grab me from the start, my mind starts to wonder and spot all the things that are wrong with it :hey: :hey:

Kuzey

Kuzey
04-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Kuzey, I think you took this way too seriously. This movie is totally inaccurate, and it wears its inaccuracy on its overly padded leather loin cloth for all to see. It was never meant to be accurate. Xerxes never had proto-ninjas with Samurai masks, but it LOOKED GOOD.
The Spartans probably didn't inspect babies on a precipice like that, but it LOOKED GOOD.
Rhino riders? Oliphants (giant elephants)? Xerxes, painted gold, dressed like a stripper, caressing the phallic horns of his infeasibly large throne? Spartans from Edinburgh, Essex and the Home Counties? I think you were in the wrong movie if you were looking for accuracy, try the History Channel :D . Heck, they even roped in Lupin from the Harry Potter films to cameo as the Mangiest Wold in the World.

I know what you mean about internal logic, but frankly I don't think anyone who made this cared. They wanted to make the comic, and to a great extent they succeeded.

It was all about style over substance. I've not laughed out so loud in a movie since I saw Dodgeball, and such blatant mainstream homo-eroticism can only be a good thing :thumbsup: .

"Never give up! Never surrender!" ... Oops that was Galaxy Quest ;)

I never actually took it too seriously, it's just how my mind works, I'm either totally into the film or I spot things :beerchug:

I just found out the same person that made this also made Sin City...now that was a great movie, 10 out of 10. 300 is more like a 3 at best on that scale.

Funny, when I saw the "Samurai masks", I said to myself now we're going to see some action. I'm still waiting for it :beerchug:

btw. that's only about a fraction of what I spotted but I didn't want you make you guys too crazy :)

kuzey

Kuzey
04-03-2007, 05:27 AM
Hi xfulcrumx,

Coolness, thanks for the info :D

Now an army of 3,000 would have been more like it :)

I did have fun, making up my own dialogue for the film and spotting the odd things in it :D

Kuzey

Iain
04-03-2007, 05:42 AM
If you read Frank Miller's work (or any graphic novels really) you'll run into the same problem-plots aren't watertight or realistic. Dialogue is totally secondary to story. That's just the nature of the medium, it's loose and unpredictable.
Fun too (and by fun, I just mean enjoyable). There's not enough fun in the cinema today. Miami Vice was great fun on TV and the fim was the very opposite.

DogBoy
04-03-2007, 06:43 AM
I just found out the same person that made this also made Sin City...now that was a great movie, 10 out of 10. 300 is more like a 3 at best on that scale.

kuzey

Do you mean the original comic? If so yeah, Frank Miller did 300 as an aside from Sin City.

In the movie it falls into the continuity just after the prostitutes hold off the mob. In the comic the Clive Owen character, Ike, compares their stand to the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae.

Frankly, and excuse the pun, I preferred 300 to Sin City. Sin City shows how samey all the books got, so by the second story I'd lost interest.

To be honest my fave Frank Miller film is Robocop 2. Forget the others, it is the ONLY Frank Miller film worth watching.

Kuzey
04-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Do you mean the original comic? If so yeah, Frank Miller did 300 as an aside from Sin City.

In the movie it falls into the continuity just after the prostitutes hold off the mob. In the comic the Clive Owen character, Ike, compares their stand to the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae.

Frankly, and excuse the pun, I preferred 300 to Sin City. Sin City shows how samey all the books got, so by the second story I'd lost interest.

To be honest my fave Frank Miller film is Robocop 2. Forget the others, it is the ONLY Frank Miller film worth watching.

The film version, it was original and different :D

This is the first time I heard there is a series of Sin City books :eek:

Kuzey

DogBoy
04-03-2007, 07:00 AM
If you read Frank Miller's work (or any graphic novels really) you'll run into the same problem-plots aren't watertight or realistic. Dialogue is totally secondary to story. That's just the nature of the medium, it's loose and unpredictable.

I don't know about that. I can think of plenty of comics that are watertight, just not any by our boy Frank: Watchmen (Superheroes), Finder (Science Fiction), Queen and Country (imagine a young Helen Mirren playing a hard-drinking, borderline psycho female-Bond). I could go on.

After seeing 300, though, I'm now very worried at what Zack Snyder is going to do with Watchmen.

If you want to see a good comic adaption, I'm hoping WhiteOut will be good.

The film version, it was original and different :D

This is the first time I heard there is a series of Sin City books :eek:

Kuzey

Then they are different directors: Sin City was Frank Miller and Robert Rodriquez, where as 300 was written by Miller but directed by Zack Snyder.

The first comic (it used to be just Sin City, but they have now given it a name) is well worth it, but the rest get very samey. There are about half a dozen books.

Kuzey
04-03-2007, 07:18 AM
I saw the director of 300 on tv saying something about sin city and thought he directed that as well...my bad :help:

Kuzey

Iain
04-03-2007, 08:04 AM
I don't know about that. I can think of plenty of comics that are watertight, just not any by our boy Frank

I suppose I was thinking about those, like 300, which are based upon or inspired by history. From Hell is one of the best I've ever read-full of holes but still ingenious and thrilling.

DogBoy
04-03-2007, 08:21 AM
I suppose I was thinking about those, like 300, which are based upon or inspired by history. From Hell is one of the best I've ever read-full of holes but still ingenious and thrilling.

maybe i'm just not as good at see them as you :D
I liked From Hell as well, though the movie was laughable.

Iain
04-03-2007, 08:24 AM
I liked From Hell as well, though the movie was laughable.

Yeah what was going on there-they cut out everything that was interesting and clever.

DogBoy
04-03-2007, 08:39 AM
They wanted to make it an action movie.

out of a comic, so glacial you could measure the eons by it.

What had they been smoking?

And is it legal in the UK?

:D

Titus
04-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Just received my copy of the last Cinefex magazine and it covers 300, and it makes mention of LightWave.

erikals
04-06-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm quite stunned that LW-dynamics (which is one of the weakest in the market in most situations) got so much use in this movie. It really proves that it's really up to the artist to get good results! I don't think highly of LWs dymaics, but this movie proves to me that it can be done by the right people behind the computers!

Kudos to all involved in making LW seen!! :)

EDIT: First it was The Guardian and now 300... what movie will be the next? :)

LW-dyn can be used for simple stuff, and HardFX too, but trying to use them on complex stuff is no good imo. But, Syflex has comed to saved us. This is another discussion though :) The giant scene was awesome, so no problem there.

I also digged the renders, it looked painted, beautiful.

Cageman
04-07-2007, 02:56 AM
LW-dyn can be used for simple stuff, and HardFX too, but trying to use them on complex stuff is no good imo.

I agree with you, however, the smoke effects that Screaming Death Monkey did for the Oracle did look complex, at least in terms of LightWaves capabilities (looking at the screen behind Jeremy Hunt in the Making Of-movie). Combining ClothFX with bonedeformations and Endomorphs AND ending up having total controll is something I wouldn't have thought be possible without workarounds that ends up taking alot longer than actually doing the effectshot. :)

faulknermano
04-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Combining ClothFX with bonedeformations and Endomorphs AND ending up having total controll is something I wouldn't have thought be possible without workarounds that ends up taking alot longer than actually doing the effectshot. :)

my thoughts exactly!

erikals
04-09-2007, 04:34 PM
My guess is that he is using Metalink?

faulknermano
04-09-2007, 09:16 PM
i suspect it's even more "old-school" than that. once the clothfx has been baked into mdd, it could just be a matter of turning on KeyMove, setting deformation order and using morph through bones to make the endomorphs stick to the animating mdd. i work alot with mdd - there are a lot of possiblities wth combining displacements with pre-animated mdds.

Vision1
05-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Don't know if some one saw this one

http://on10.net/Blogs/laura/screaming-death-monkey-talks-about-making-300-the-movie/

ohh wel enjoy :P

lesterfoster
05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
That was a very good interview with Jeremy. Thanks for posting it.