PDA

View Full Version : Baking For Games - Can LW Do It???

LNT
03-15-2007, 02:33 PM
people at my workplace are seriously looking into a possible switch to baking the game assets using LW9's Surface Baking Camera...

however,it seems that there are some serious problems with it,as Smoothed Normal totally ignores the smoothing angles of the low poly object,and,in case it's triangluated,it heavily distorts the baked image

even without the trianglation,Smoothed Normal seems to oversmooth the corners

on the other hand,Polygon Normal bakes everything in a very faceted way,which obviously makes for poor transitions between angled polygons

can anyone shed any light on how these problems are overcome?

Lamont
03-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Look at how the object is UV mapped, if it's Atlas, you will run into more problems than if it's properly skinned.

Next, you might want to make another surface for that object just for the corners.

But I've done characters/objects no problem and with the surface baking cam, I can do larger and filtered baking.

Post an image/example if you can.

StereoMike
03-15-2007, 03:22 PM
regarding normal baking, I think dpont has built a node that can do that (in tangent space).

mike

LNT
03-15-2007, 05:35 PM
thanks Lamont,
butthe problems I'm talking about are simply too severe and completely different in nature,to be attributed to discontinuos UV edges

making a separate surface just for corners isn't a viable solution,as most of the time corners are actually edges and not polygons,otherwise the polygon count would go up just because of lw baking issues

thanks for mentioning that Mike,I can imagine that in node editor something can be easily cooked-up to RGB the normals

here's a simple test that describes the problem...the low polygon object used for baking is very simple,with 90 degree,single-edge corners.

the main problem is that I dont know if Smoothed Normal mode offers some kind of control over the smoothing angle used to smooth these baking normals...

you would expect it to respect the smoothing angle of the low poly object,but in fact it doesnt make any difference even if you switch its surface smoothing off completely,it still bakes exactly the same

http://pavlovic.com/alex/temp/baking_issues.jpg

Lamont
03-15-2007, 05:45 PM
I use Poly Normal. And the issue with seams will never go away. Every app I use, I end up painting seams... even with edge padding. If the seam doesn't show up in the base image, it shows up in one of the mip maps, so I edit those sometimes. It's the nature of the beast.

(I'm painting seams right now actually.)

LNT
03-15-2007, 06:15 PM
painting seams is exactly what I would like to avoid,as that would be a pretty staggering amount of tedious labour...
and it would be totally counter productive to go down that path,as we are looking into ways to speed up the production,rather than pile up the touch-up work

LW could definitely render seamless corners,if only its normal smoothing didnt have such a high angle value...i reckon it must be something like 120 degrees

LNT
03-15-2007, 07:04 PM
here's the same thing baked elsewhere...there are no seams at the corners,and there is no distortion caused by smoothing either.

admittedly,there are some artifacts in the recessed part,but they are just a minor issue with the baking distance,nothing more than that

http://pavlovic.com/alex/temp/proper_bake.jpg

Dodgy
03-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Have you used the UV border setting? How are the UV's laid out?