PDA

View Full Version : Toaster Flyer in Turkey

ancalimon
03-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi!

I bought a Video Toaster 4000 and a Flyer from EBay last week.

I know Toaster is NTSC only but I heard people using Toaster in PAL countries too.

I will use it just for fun and need all the advice and help I can get.

The first thing I will do is to buy a video camera that will support NTSC output. Most cameras that are sold here in Istanbul has an option to choose whether to record in NTSC or PAL. Will they work with the Toaster if set to NTSC or will I need to buy a camera that is strictly NTSC only?

What other things do I need for my A4000T to start creating videos and send them to a PC? A capture card on the PC? And do they support both NTSC and PAL?

What kind of hard disks do I need? I actually don't need more than 1 hour of recording.

My system has the following right now:

A4000T (Amiga Technologies) Cybertorm PPC 604e-233 060-50 with 128mb fast ram
CyberVision PPC graphics board
Delfina Lite Sound Board
Peggy+ mpeg decoder
Vlab Motion (no Toccata audio board)
A SCSI CD Writer
120GB Seagate Harddisk converted to SCSI3 using an adaptor and plugged in the Ultrawide SCSI3 port of Cyberstorm accelerator.
M1438 multisync monitor
a 21" VGA monitor,
a big TV

What other hardware do I need to start working with the Toaster?

DavidDB
03-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi

You've got a serious Amiga graphics workstation. Absolute overkill for a Toaster Flyer. No problems of the hardware being under powered at all but I don't know if all of the other cards will work with the flyer. Does your cybervision card have a scan doubler that can display the Toaster display panel? The toaster control panel display uses 15khz ntsc video and the RTG card will dislplay 31khz vga video. You need a monitor that can sync to 15khz or a display card with a scan doubler that can covert the 15khz amiga mode video into 31khz vga video. The Flyer has full audio recording capabilities and your delfina might or might not be able to sync to it and might be redundant. The Vlab card does the same basic function as the Flyer--although maybe in Pal, I'm not sure--and both can probably coexist in the same system but I doubt that you can use them at the same time. The Toaster completely takes over the Amiga when you use it. You might also check to see if your amiga is in ntsc mode. If you have a european Amiga in Pal mode, the toaster and flyer boards won't work until it is set to ntsc mode. This is controlled by a jumper on the mother board. Ntsc is Ntsc and any dual mode camera should work with the toaster in ntsc mode.
I own 2 amiga 2000 toasters right now and both came out of professional video production environments. Neither of them have anywhere near the horsepower of your system. The black and white composite output works great for the Toaster control panel and this is what a lot of the professionals used. The toaster does amazing things to the quality of the composite video out. I use a flat panel TV monitor that has trouble syncing to the Amiga composite out but once I start the Toaster the display comes out crystal clear and just as readable as a VGA display.
On the PC end I have a fairly inexpensive analog to DV video converter that can convert analog video into firewire DV video and vice-versa. Any modern DV camcorder with analog in and out and firewire should do the same. You will need a firewire card for the PC and a DV camcorder and you should be able to transfer video from the Amiga Toaster to the PC with no problems.
And if you use analog video tapes, a TBC--time base corrector card is an absolute necessity and even if you don't they have some nice video processing functions that can be fun and useful.

tonyvdb
03-16-2007, 08:39 AM
....The first thing I will do is to buy a video camera that will support NTSC output. Most cameras that are sold here in Istanbul has an option to choose whether to record in NTSC or PAL. Will they work with the Toaster if set to NTSC or will I need to buy a camera that is strictly NTSC only?
As long as like David said you have your Amiga and Camera set to NTSC it will function properly.

What other things do I need for my A4000T to start creating videos and send them to a PC? A capture card on the PC? And do they support both NTSC and PAL?
A capture card is a must for the PC and most usualy accept NTSC and Pal signals but check before you buy. The Toaster outputs video via a composite BNC connector so you will need a BNC to RCA adapter found at most electronic parts supply stores.

What kind of hard disks do I need? I actually don't need more than 1 hour of recording.
You need to get 3 SCSI hard drives as the Toaster/Flyer has 3 SCSI controllers alowing for up to 18 SCSI drives to be hooked up (not that this is necessary) Ideally a 4gig drive on the "C" cable is plenty for audio and two 18 to 36 gig drives for the Video controlers on "A and B" will do you just fine. The Flyer uses two SCSI controllers for Video and the third for audio only. You do not need to split the audio off the video clips as the toaster/flyer does this automatically. The audio drive is strictly for voice overs and extra audio you may want to add. The SCSI drive are easy to find on ebay and go for as little as $20 each.

My system has the following right now:

A4000T (Amiga Technologies) Cybertorm PPC 604e-233 060-50 with 128mb fast ram
CyberVision PPC graphics board
Delfina Lite Sound Board
Peggy+ mpeg decoder
Vlab Motion (no Toccata audio board)
A SCSI CD Writer
120GB Seagate Harddisk converted to SCSI3 using an adaptor and plugged in the Ultrawide SCSI3 port of Cyberstorm accelerator.
M1438 multisync monitor
a 21" VGA monitor,
a big TV

What other hardware do I need to start working with the Toaster?
With the Tower system you should have two dedicated video slots so you should be just fine (the toaster card requires one of them) As David mentioned above if your Cybervision dose not pass through the Amigas video you will need to get yourself either a Amiga monitor (a 1084 will work just fine or look for a 1960) As the toaster uses the Amigas video output for displaying the switcher etc although it will passthrough the screen and overlay it overtop of the Preview video of the Toasters video output if you have that turned on in the Toaster setup.
You can also get yourself a Toastscan that will alow you to use any PC monitor hooked up to the amigas video output but these are hard to find.
AAlso a TBC is a good investment as the Toaster/Flyer needs a rock solid video input or you will loose sync all the time and cause problems there are many available on eBay for the Amiga.
Enjoy

Crom
04-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I had a setup similar to the Turkish system described.

I used an Amiga Commodore flicker fixer... It scan doubled the toaster interface although you only get 4096 colors instead of the 18 bit color supplied by the AGA chipset. On the toaster screen though this is not an issue and I used the toaster inteface on a Toshiba Timm 20" monitor.

At the very least using your existing montior you'll need a unit that can do. 15.75 khz. Be advised that a PAL or 50 hz 1084 may not work as not all of them do both NTSC and pa. I have one here that only does NTSC. They varied in revisions over the years.

Network that thing to a pc, use aura convert all your pc animations to FLYER clip format. And pruchase 3-d arsenal, and Lightwave. You effectivley have a Tricaster style box although much bigger.. lol!

I used such a setup unitl last year (have 2 vt4's) :jam: and sold all the parts bit by bit and made nearly $3000. A great setup...