PDA

View Full Version : I'm just full of questions...

VTA
03-15-2007, 09:02 AM
I just rendered a scene; before doing so, in Render Globals I chose for Output a LW_Pshop32, under the Save RGB option. I went through the motions of choosing a destination and file name, let it rip. The Save RGB box is checked, but it didn't write the file. Luckily I hadn't closed the final screen render and was able to save it manually...

Also, it rendered without my surface maps e.g., I made a marble chess board. It rendered nicely, but with out the Marble map. It showed with every lo-res test render, but not with the final. Up until now, these things did not happen -I've had LW for about two weeks and keep it pretty much simple when rendering, following the same order.

Any suggestions with these anomalies?
Thanks.
-Vincent

Surrealist.
03-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Try an image format like tiff or targa. They both load up in Phostoshop.

toby
03-16-2007, 10:45 PM
I just rendered a scene; before doing so, in Render Globals I chose for Output a LW_Pshop32, under the Save RGB option. I went through the motions of choosing a destination and file name, let it rip. The Save RGB box is checked, but it didn't write the file. Luckily I hadn't closed the final screen render and was able to save it manually...

Also, it rendered without my surface maps e.g., I made a marble chess board. It rendered nicely, but with out the Marble map. It showed with every lo-res test render, but not with the final. Up until now, these things did not happen -I've had LW for about two weeks and keep it pretty much simple when rendering, following the same order.

Any suggestions with these anomalies?
Thanks.
-Vincent
How many megs of textures are in the scene (look in the image editor, top right) and how many polygons (press 'w'), and how big an image are you rendering? LW starts dropping textures when you're close to the ram limit. Also check the status of the alpha for the images, in the image editor. If you're not using the alpha in a particular texture map, turn it off.

If none of that works, delete and reload your i/o plugins.

fgreen
03-16-2007, 11:40 PM
This may be way too simple, but did you look for the file in an explorer window or by trying to open it in a program (ie Photoshop, Premiere or LW's image editor)?

I ask because LW will output files with no extention, based on the selection in the name format box (bottom of the Render Globals Output Tab). On the PC, files with no extention will typically not show up in file open dialog boxes.

Not sure why, but the "format" box always seems to default to one of the "no extention" choices on my machine.

Again this is probably not the issue, but it has happend to me a couple of times, so for what it's worth...

toby
03-17-2007, 12:45 AM
That is a good point - but F10, "Save RGB" does give you the file extension ~

VTA
03-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Hello,
Thanks for the reply's.
I generally use PNG format because I've heard LW likes this best and generally they are hi-res, because I am working toward an end product that's pretty large format - 12x18 at 300 ppi. As for number of Polygons, in this particular model, the count is pretty low (can't give exact number, since I'm at home answering this), since it's just a Chess board, without pieces. I've had no problems with more complex models, this one just happening out of no where.

With that said, I've fixed it (I hope): I was hesitant to do it, because I hate to have to recustomize all of my keyboard and menu shortcuts, but deleting the preferences solved the issue...

Why it wouldn't save the file is a mystery, but one that was also fixed with dumping the Preferences.

BTW, I'm using this on a Mac and I'm betting solutions to these things are a bit different...

Thank you all for your suggestions.
-Vincent

toby
03-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Nice work.
Macs (I have one too) and PC's actually have similar problems and solutions. Deleting preferences is a standard fix on both Mac and PC, as well as reloading plugins.