PDA

View Full Version : 9.2 release date?

SaT
03-15-2007, 03:20 AM
Hello,

I am sorry to ask this, because I am sure that this has been discussed a couple of times before but I wonder if anybody knows the 9.2 release date. As far as I know it is only the Mac-version that is still in beta.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
03-15-2007, 03:40 AM
"When it's done" would be the only real answer that any layperson can give. For any other, more detailed information, you need to join the OpenBeta.

SaT
03-15-2007, 03:52 AM
Thank you for the quick response.:thumbsup:

Bog
03-15-2007, 08:40 AM
It's well worth joining the Open Beta programme.

Also, it lets you give knowing winks, suggestive glances and say "Yeah, I suppose... for now..." when conversing with one's fellow LightWavers.

Phil
03-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Does it? I wouldn't know ;) (Is this knowing, or not? Not saying :b)

Wickster
03-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Actually, it all depends on the Open Beta Testers. I feel like OB testers are responsible for the delay...It's not like how other companies who sets a date of release and actually releases it on the dot. Being an Open Beta tester I can say that NT listens to the OB group and tries to implement requests and stomps bugs submitted by us.

I'm also happy how NT even asks us OB testers things like "How do you want this feature to act?" or "Please test this feature extensively and let us know what else it needs." There's eve a point when we said "This feature is too complicated," then NT rewrites the whole thing and re-released it as "Simple Feature" :D

So I'll say what everyone here is saying, It'll be out when it's ready (or when we OB testers gives NT the green light, heheh). And with Neverko, Exception, and a whole lot of people that are stuck in the OB thread, testing LW 9.2 for you, LW 9.2 will be the best ever.

Just my opinion. :)

colkai
03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Ahh, cannot say, saying, I would know, do not know, so cannot say! ;)

Thomas M.
03-15-2007, 10:12 AM
I'd say end of April or June. But that's just a gut feeling. The funny thing is that 9.0 will be out for almost a year without a bug fix. By now I got used to a lot of bugs, but I hope that NT will never work like this again. If 9.2 will be something stable, it'll be great. Features so far look very nice. Hopefully they are not only blenders, but work reliably in production.

Cheers
Thomas

Bog
03-15-2007, 10:29 AM
It's a different way of doing things, really. Over the earlier Open Betas that I may or may not have been involved with, I found myself using 9.0 more and more as the Beta progressed. For the last months of the Beta, I didn't fire up 8.5 once.

I think pretty much everyone who's using LW "For Real" is doing much the same thing.

Iain
03-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I think pretty much everyone who's using LW "For Real" is doing much the same thing.

Yaaaaarp.

mattclary
03-15-2007, 11:05 AM
I JUST started using the 9.2 beta, and so far it seems as stable as any release I've seen of LW. I had one crash when using the greeble plugin the other day, but I was doing some funky stuff, so don't hold it against LW.

Bog
03-15-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm leaving a render going overnight unsupervised so I'm not saying a damn word about stability.....!

mav3rick
03-15-2007, 11:38 AM
when we stop reporting bugs :P

cilayin
03-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Does anyone know how much an upgrade from 9.0 to 9.2 will cost? Because im buying 9.0 very very soon (within days) and I don't have much money (college student here. LOL) so I need to know how much it'll be so I can start saving up! :o

- Tommy

RudySchneider
03-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Upgrade from 9.0 to 9.2 is FREE!

Speedmonk42
03-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know how much an upgrade from 9.0 to 9.2 will cost? Because im buying 9.0 very very soon (within days) and I don't have much money (college student here. LOL) so I need to know how much it'll be so I can start saving up! :o

- Tommy

Well you can get the educational price. Usually newtek does not charge for .x releases. I could be wrong though.

colkai
03-17-2007, 03:34 AM
Well you can get the educational price. Usually newtek does not charge for .x releases. I could be wrong though.
Nope, not wrong.
Not only is 9.2 a free upgrade, buy 9.0 and you buy into the whole 9.X upgrade path for free.
Newtek are awesome when it comes to their point releases and I have a feeling this cycle could turn out to be a real blast.

Matt
03-17-2007, 07:38 AM
NT have been all ears in this cycle I must say, good on 'em, I love every one of them!

:)

<-- Feeling the love! :D

RedBull
03-17-2007, 07:17 PM
I haven't had a chance to look at 9.2 as yet....
But can someone answer some questions for me....

A)Does 9.2 allow OpenGL Nodal feedback? If i change the color to green, will my openGL preview change to green in the same way, non-nodal surfaces do?

I need instant feedback with surfacing, Fprime3 will surely allow this (Yay 9.x will be useful again), but i'm wondering if they managed to change it?

I know LW9.2 Modeler has improved OpenGL, but does this include Node support?

Cougar12dk
03-18-2007, 03:19 AM
Doesn't seem to allow OGL Nodal feedback. I've just tested with a coffee mug, and nothing changed in the display when I made texture changes in the nodes.

mav3rick
03-18-2007, 04:04 AM
a lOTT
consider to purchase fprim3 also

RedBull
03-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Doesn't seem to allow OGL Nodal feedback. I've just tested with a coffee mug, and nothing changed in the display when I made texture changes in the nodes.

That is indeed a shame.... But thanks for the confirmation.
Will have to wait for Fprime3, and hope it's supporting the good stuff.

mattclary
03-19-2007, 10:47 AM

Unless Newtek gets bought out by Discreet, you can pretty much plan to never pay for a .x version of software. They're cool like that.

Cougar12dk
03-19-2007, 11:27 AM
@RedBull: You're welcome :)

colkai
03-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Unless Newtek gets bought out by Discreet...
Oh man, don't even joke about that. ;) :p

RedBull
03-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Unless Newtek gets bought out by Discreet, you can pretty much plan to never pay for a .x version of software. They're cool like that.

Except for LW 5.5 and LW 6.5 which are both paid updates, (at least they charged me for them)

Bog
03-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Nah, that was just you RedBull. Sorry. It's like a hazing.

(joke)

StereoMike
03-20-2007, 07:37 AM
[edit] ups didn't see the second page.

mike

Dionysios
03-29-2007, 09:29 AM
I'd say end of April or June. But that's just a gut feeling. The funny thing is that 9.0 will be out for almost a year without a bug fix. By now I got used to a lot of bugs, but I hope that NT will never work like this again. If 9.2 will be something stable, it'll be great. Features so far look very nice. Hopefully they are not only blenders, but work reliably in production.

Cheers
Thomas

You know, I've heard a few negative reports about the stability of 9.0. But I haven't had too many problems. Given that I use it on a daily, or near-daily basis, I've only had it crash two or maybe three times total. I have more problems with Firefox, and I don't have that many problems with Firefox. The only other somewhat consistent problem I've had is that layout has a problem recognizing the dongle sometimes. But unplugging it and plugging it back it does the trick. What kind of problems has everyone been having?

Krom
04-01-2007, 11:54 PM
I had a lot of crashes with LW9 Modeler (I don't use Layout mostly) using new features like CC-SubD or Edges. But now when I don't use them cos of different task it's working quite stable.

I hope Newtek puts some efforts into fixing bugs rather than adding several new plugins.

Dodgy
04-02-2007, 03:29 AM
Nice avatar Krom ;)

Verlon
04-02-2007, 04:11 AM
Actually, it all depends on the Open Beta Testers. I feel like OB testers are responsible for the delay...It's not like how other companies who sets a date of release and actually releases it on the dot.

What other company would you be talking about. AFAIK, no piece of computer hardware or software has been released on the exact (originally) projected date since the original abacus, and nothing has come out early since ATI shocked everyone and shipped the original Radeon ahead of schedule (and almost ahead of the press release). The latter incident is blamed on aliens, time-space distortion, and unusual sunspot activity over Canada at the time.

Intuition
04-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Didn't the newsletter say that Newtek were aiming at NAB 2007 for 9.2 official release?

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletters/v04-n03/index.html

See "Development Update".

ackees
04-05-2007, 02:54 PM
I am waiting for 9.2 to run on a new Mac octopus, big job coming up, a date would help planning (a near date - clients are very smart these days). I think there will be a 3D storm of applications going to the Mac octopuses (you'll soon hear things like 'when did we say we would never go Mac? - Macs are great computers). I really hope LW is at the front of the wave.