PDA

View Full Version : Unity to support Wii

wargum
03-14-2007, 08:05 PM
OTEE anounced the support for the beloved Nintendo Wii gaming console. But LW doesn't play as well with Unity as it could. Didn't Sir Chilton of :newtek: himself promised to help OTEE to make LighWave a natively supported format in Unity? :thumbsup:

What's the status here?

frank1024
03-16-2007, 02:37 PM
UNITY is quickly becoming the best game design software. Why is this? Because its easy to use and the purchase price is within the range of most of us. If you've explored their website you'll notice also that like LW they have a great group of people using their support forums.

There are people who are usiong LW and Unity. You can get support in the UNITY forums for LW. I'm getting ready to purchase UNITY Pro because of those support forums at OTEE. One of the main resons I purchased LW was because of the great support forums LW has.

StereoMike
03-16-2007, 05:06 PM
But the indy version only exports standalone files to the mac? Is that their way to support Apple? Nothing against Apple, but to give it a try (no not 30 days) and do some stuff (in windows) I would like to buy something like the indy version at first -for 250 and not 1500,-.
:(

mike

ItsPete
03-19-2007, 03:05 PM
no, that's their way of getting people to buy pro. the indie version lets you publish a web player that can run on a pc. so build in indie then upgrade to pro if you actually get a saleable game done. the ide is mac only right now though. unity came out of them building their game - gooball. they're a mac based shop. so naturally their tools are mac. they're working towards a pc ide but it's not in the near future. all that aside, unity is outstanding and you can do a ton with indie. i use LW with it via the fbx exporter. no probs.

StereoMike
03-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Funny: on the other end is PIM: great on windows, but no mac in the near future.
When will we get a tool that makes everyone happy?

mike

frank1024
03-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm going pro. The thing that sold me on UNITY is that Tom Higgins the marketing guy at Adobe Director went to work at OTEE in San Francisco. If people from Director are switching over to UNITY then I'm sold.

I'm going pro because the game I want to design will be for sale. Now that UNITY will deveop games for Nintendo Wii the market for UNITY developed games is that much bigger.