PDA

View Full Version : Pal Widescreen

gameDesign
03-14-2007, 07:21 AM
Hi all

I am having a problem with the aspect ratio in LW.
My client wants 720x576 at 1.42 aspect ratio (widescreen)
Even though I choose PAL Widescreen whcih is correct, LW still only renders out at 1.067 aspect ratio and the image is squashed.

When I import the footage from LW into Premiere it always says 1.067

Your thoughts please guys

Cheers

Haven1000
03-14-2007, 07:55 AM
LW uses a "Anamorphic" technique with the PAL/NTSC widescreen presets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_widescreen

Just do a search with your Premier Documentation for importing anamorphic video.

Most video camera's record widescreen in this way, only when you import the video into your editing software it normally detects the anamorphic tag in the video and displays it as widescreen and not "squashed"

When you output lightwave as an image sequence this "tag" is not included so you have to configure you editing software manually.

Hope this is of help

jburford
03-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Greetings also from PAL land! Just tested this with with the 9.2 Beta and it is as you state. (a problem) Oddly, in the Render Status Window, it displays correctly. However, in the Render Display Window as well as the file saved is wrong and not correct in what it displays nor the right Pixel Aspect Ratio.

Will upload a screenshot and then re-test with LW 8.x.

Cheers,
Jeff

jburford
03-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Haven,

I thought the same thing and loaded the file into After Effects 6.5, even after selecting Interpret Main Footage and selecting WideScreen PAL, it still did not display correctly and showed Pixel Ration 1.067..... hmnn.

Am at my day job, so can not test with my edit system at the moment.

Cheers
Jeff

gameDesign
03-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks Haven1000

That does explain it really. In premiere you can go to clip>advanced options>aspect ratio and set the clip to what it should be

Because in effect the footage rendered has all the information it needs it just needs the pixels to be longer.and since each pixel is a single colour anyway, this does not affect the quality at all.

Thanks guys for your feedback

Lightwave ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but not always...hehe:p)
Would be nice if LW added the tag to say its what you chose in the render options, surely that can't be hard.

Thanks again

jburford
03-14-2007, 08:25 AM
OK, Haven is correct! Just remembered, we have an Avid Editing System here....

Loaded the pic in and said that the source is 16:9 and it displays correctly!!

Lots of luck.

Jeff