PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9 modeler crashing and crashing and...

brock
03-14-2007, 04:34 AM
I have recently updated to version 9 from 7.5 and so far I am less than impressed.

When I start up modeler all the points in the loaded model become instantly high-lighted in green, as do the x, y and z coordinates in the viewport. This then freezes modeler and I have to restart. I then turned the points off so they werent visible in the viewports but I am now finding that modeler is still crashing when I have a certain amount of polys selected at the same time..I mean maybe 100-200, no more than that! I dare not turn on texture as the viewport option as I know this will crash it for sure so i spend most of the time working in wireframe, especially if I want to have more than a layer on at a time!

Also, just in case I am going to have to finish the project in good old version 7.5, I tried exporting to version 5 using the export feature but guess what........... yep it doesnt work!

Any ideas....??

HP Pentium 4, 3 gh processor
2 gig ram
ATI firegl 5100

fgreen
03-14-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm running V9.0 on a new Dell precision 690 with a FireGL7200. It has hung and crashed a few times, but seems at least as stable as earlier versions. I would recommend the following to try to eliminate variables.

One avenue would be general pc maintenance. Defrag, checkdisk with surface scan, update the ATI drivers and get the latest version of DirectX. If that fails see if there is any driver updates for the mainboard and any other devices in the machine (especially for the busses including the video bus). A bios upgrade is a little more of a pain to do, but may also be available for your machine.

If you have another machine you could install LW9 on it and see if it behaves the same way. This would eliminate the possibliity that your install CD has some corrupt files on it-- unlikely, since this usually produces copy errors during install, but I've seen it happen a few times over the years.

This avenue is also admittedly grasping at straws. It has to do with all the files involved, in case there is a small glitch in one of them. You could try to resave any images or objects in your project to a new name (so they get a new file structure and location on the disk). A similar small corruption could also be present in some part of your LW9 install. I would try installing to a different drive, or at least a new folder on the current drive.

I suggest this because I had a similar experience with a video file in Premiere Pro-- something in this file caused Premiere to choke and crash whenever the timeline got to the last frame of this file. After trying a bunch of the stuff mentioned above I finally tried resaving the file to a new name and location (I think I actually put it on a different drive), Premiere was then OK.

The good news is that since your problem occurs all the time under certain conditions you have a better chance of diagnosing it than if it were intermittent.

Good Luck

jburford
03-14-2007, 07:03 AM
You should not be seeing anything like this at all, especially with you setup. I would first recommend checking your PC Configuration and make certain that it is highly optimized (no virus program running, no autorestore, no indexing) and well the rest you know. . .

After that, did you change the Graphics Driver lately or any other changes to your setup or software?

Would probably completely wipe your LW 9 Install and do a fresh clean install and then set the defaults within the programs (alt F9, alt F10, alt F10).

Let us know. .

Cheers,
Jeff
Frankfurt/Main Germany

jburford
03-14-2007, 07:04 AM
;-) was writing my post as fgreen was answering..... you can take his post to the bank pretty much....

cheers

brock
03-14-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks all, I will look at your comments and let you know how I get on...

Thanks again.

brock
03-15-2007, 06:15 AM
I installed the discovery version on a colleagues machine and it seems to work, although thats after about two minutes testing with one model.

I reinstalled version 9 onto my machine, modeler is still creating the wierd green points (there should be an attachment showing this) but so far it isnt crashing as much. BUT NOWWW....layout doesnt open correctly!!!! It loads up the interface but wont load up the viewport!!!

Newtek may I just add have been fairly useless, and have simply suggested trying the open beta 9.2 version....Which I am hessitant to do as it seems a lot of messing around....

As far as firealls etc, I am on a network and cant turn off virus and firewall software.

Help!

Sensei
03-15-2007, 06:43 AM
I installed the discovery version on a colleagues machine and it seems to work, although thats after about two minutes testing with one model.

Sounds like problem with graphics drivers on your machine.. Try upgrading, or if you have latest downgrading them..

I reinstalled version 9 onto my machine, modeler is still creating the wierd green points (there should be an attachment showing this) but so far it isnt crashing as much. BUT NOWWW....layout doesnt open correctly!!!! It loads up the interface but wont load up the viewport!!!

Sounds like LightWave v9.0 hub problem.. Try running without hub by using -0 parameter in LightWave short-cut and/or deleting config files from C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\ You must do it when no LightWave nor Hub is running at the same time, otherwise new bad config will overwrite that you just deleted and nothing change..

Newtek may I just add have been fairly useless, and have simply suggested trying the open beta 9.2 version....Which I am hessitant to do as it seems a lot of messing around....

Every single software developer on this planet will ask you to use the lastest software version available before reporting bug report in older version.. Imagine that LightWave v9.2 have fixed these problems that you're observing!!

As far as firealls etc, I am on a network and cant turn off virus and firewall
software.

Nobody asked you to disable them completely.. Configure them that LightWave.exe, Modeler.exe and Hub.exe pass through.. Otherwise you will have problems with Modeler<->Layout intercommunication and you will have to disable hub by using -0 parameter..

fgreen
03-15-2007, 06:45 AM
I had the same problem with the viewports not initializing on a machine several years ago after upgrading (vintage LW 5 or 6). It turned out to be the video drivers needing to be updated. This sounds more and more like a video card/driver issue.

Phil
03-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Go without the hub on 9.0 - it greatly improves reliability. The simple hack is to rename hub.exe to hub.doesntwork in the programs folder (which is whereever you installed LightWave 9 to)

brock
03-16-2007, 02:41 AM
thanks again for your comments. I have re-reinstalled version 9 and it seems to have sorted the layout issue for the time being. Modeler is is still a problem though. I am working my way through your advice points and will let you know.

Thanks again.

fgreen
03-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Brock, you can try turning off hardware acceleration on the video card to see if modeler stability improves.

It's under Display Properties/ settings tab/ Advanced button/ TRoubleshoot tab. There is a hardware acceleration slider that goes between Full and None. If you slide it to none and the problems go away, you can be fairly sure it is your video card/drivers that are the problem.

Note that this will cause everything, including simple Windows functions to slow way down.