PDA

View Full Version : Animation of wood deck construction.

sticks3d
03-14-2007, 04:28 AM
I would like to animate the construction of a 2x6 wood deck (time lapse style.)
The framing and posts will either fly in or just appear.
The problem is how to deal with the 50 or 60 2x6's for the decking.
The deck is not rectanglular, so I can't clone the 2x6's.
Is there an easier way to animate the decking than putting each 2x6 on a seperate layer in modeler?

fgreen
03-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Not sure if it's much easier, but another way would be to create a single 2x6 in modeler and clone it in Layout with a value of 49-59. You would still have to position each clone, building the structure in layout instead of modeler.

jburford
03-14-2007, 07:07 AM
is there anyway you could make a simple sketch to post how the deck should look or what you are trying to create?

cheers,
Jeff

Giacomo99
03-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Sorry if this sounds patronizing or redundant, but this is one of those things that you'll just have to spend some time doing by hand--there is no generalized solution here. If you have fifty distinct objects doing fifty different things, you'll have to set them up manually.

It might be possible to give each one the same set of keyframes and then offset the position by parenting each one to a null-- it's impossible to tell without seeing the actual scene. If it were me, I probably would actually give each 2x6 its own layer in Modeler--keeping them organized is going to be a major part of the job here.

sticks3d
03-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Here is an image of a wood deck with an irregular shape.
It would be easier to have the planks fly in from above if they were all the same shape.
It looks like making a seperate layer for each plank in Modeler is the best way to go.

jburford
03-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Ok, now think I understand what you mean , you mean to have all of the planks fly in one after another to build the deck.....

Think Giacomo99's comments apply best..

Cheers

UnCommonGrafx
03-14-2007, 08:33 AM
You could also leave them in one layer with a bone attached to each piece. Use a weight map to constrain the bone to its one plank. For me, this presents a handle with which to work.

G'luck.

ImBcmDth
03-14-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't know if this is a prefab deck but usually the deck plank are laid out all the same length. Then a circular saw is used to cut off the bits hanging over one side.

Start with footings, posts, and framing flying in. Using the same wide shot, all the planks would come down from above in their full 12-16 foot lengths. Then a close-up shot of the over-hanging side where you see the excess being cut off. A final shot of the whole deck reveals the completed design.

If it is prefab then I pity you. :)

Jon

amigo
03-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Why not just make a B&W (2D) animated mask and blend in the planks through some "liquidy" motion? Things don't always have to fly in :)

sticks3d
03-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks to all for the tips.
I like amigo's solution of using a clip mask attached to a null.
Viewers of the animation probably want the planks to fall into place quickly.
To get finer control of each plank, there is probably no way around seperate layers in Modeler.