PDA

View Full Version : Any benchmarks on dual DuoCore Intel Macs?

kopperdrake
03-13-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm trying to decide whether it's worth upgrading my dual 3.2Ghz Xeon to a dual duo core Mac running the new Intel (Woodcrest) chips (or waiting to see how much the 8 cores will be).

Does anyone know of any benchmarks done on the new Macs that I can run on my PC to see what the difference is? I'm not entirely sure what CPUs mine are, so figure just rendering some of the test scenes in Lightwave, like DoF, etc, would do the trick :)

BazC
03-14-2007, 02:03 AM
I'd be happy to render some for you, which scenes would you like?

Sounds like the 8 cores are close though so I'd be inclined to wait.

Captain Obvious
03-14-2007, 08:48 AM
I know there are some modo benchmarks at Vertexmonkey (http://www.vertexmonkey.com). LW 9.2 will probably scale similarly.

kopperdrake
03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the offer BazC :)

I've got the old benchmark scenes from LW8...

DOF.lws
Nebulae.lws
Radiosity_ReflectiveThings.lws
Radiosity_Things.lws
Raytrace.lws
Sunset.lws
Textures.lws
Tracer-No-Radiosity.lws
Tracer-Radiosity.lws
variations.lws
variationsSmoothness.lws
variationsThickness.lws
ZBufferSort.lws

Any of those really - I just have no idea what to expect from a Mac, it's like comparing apples and oranges...well...half-way to the right analogy ;)

I'll do the tests myself later tonight and post them here in this post.

I thought the 8 cores were realistically end of this year? If they're this spring/summer then you're right, perhaps I should wait.

Thanks for that Captain :D I'll go have a shufty now...

BazC
03-14-2007, 11:15 AM
DOF.lws 4.9secs
Nebulae.lws 19.1 secs
Radiosity_ReflectiveThings.lws 11.5secs
Radiosity_Things.lws 1.2 secs
Raytrace.lws 29.7 secs
Sunset.lws 50.5 secs
Textures.lws 2.9 secs
Tracer-No-Radiosity.lws 92.7 secs
Tracer-Radiosity.lws 213.3 secs
variations.lws 25.6 secs
variationsSmoothness.lws 31.3 secs
variationsThickness.lws 12.9 secs
ZBufferSort.lws 1.6 secs

There you go, I think some of those are animations, I just loaded and hit F9 so if it an animation it's just the first frame.

Edit : BTW This thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65173) suggests the 8 core may be on the horizon! :D

Scazzino
03-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm also trying to wait for the 8 core before upgrading my aging DP G5, but I may not be able to wait (rush job in the works of course... ;-).

I'd be interested to see what the rendering performance is like under Rosetta since I may have to finish rendering this before the UB is ready for it...

I've run some tests on the first generation 2GHz dual processor (single core) G5.

With this scene:
/Scenes/Lighting/Dirty Building/Dirty_build.lws from the LW 9.0 content CD

LW9.0
Classic Cam - 8m 2s (482.4 seconds)
Persp Cam - 11m 23s (683.7 seconds)

Anyone want to run the same tests in LW9.0 on a new Intel Mac Pro running under Mac OS X (using Rosetta) to compare?

BazC
03-14-2007, 03:50 PM
LW running under Rosetta

DOF.lws 10.1secs
Nebulae.lws 43.6 secs
Radiosity_ReflectiveThings.lws 23.1secs
Radiosity_Things.lws 2.6 secs
Raytrace.lws 67.9 secs
Sunset.lws 139.5 secs
Tracer-No-Radiosity.lws 260.2 secs
variations.lws 61.3 secs
ZBufferSort.lws 5.7 secs

That's most of them, as you can see it's quite a bit slower.

toby
03-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Tracer-No-Radiosity.lws 92.7 secs
From blanos:
1 x 2 : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ ~ WinXP 64 Tracer No-Radiosity 11.5 sec. Posted by Silverlw

wtf??? That's not even the fastest time
http://blanos.com/benchmark/

BazC
03-14-2007, 05:32 PM
I'll run it agan to check.

It does seem odd because all my other times are in line with what SilverLW is getting apart from Tracer radiosity and Tracer no radiosity. maybe it's a sign of a bug in the Mac version?

kopperdrake
03-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Ok - I've added my results after yours in bold, dual Xeon 3.2 (single cores found in the old HP XW6000 machines, 4Gb, HT enabled, 4 threads). Same thing, loaded the scene and rendered with default settings, including preview render.

DOF.lws 4.9secs 8.6s
Nebulae.lws 19.1 secs 32.1
Radiosity_ReflectiveThings.lws 11.5secs 23.9
Radiosity_Things.lws 1.2 secs 2.3
Raytrace.lws 29.7 secs 67.4
Sunset.lws 50.5 secs 67.5
Textures.lws 2.9 secs 3.7
Tracer-No-Radiosity.lws 92.7 secs 162.2
Tracer-Radiosity.lws 213.3 secs 317.2
variations.lws 25.6 secs 60.3
variationsSmoothness.lws 31.3 secs 77.2
variationsThickness.lws 12.9 secs 30.1
ZBufferSort.lws 1.6 secs 3.6

Thanks very much for that :D Seems like even with out the 8 cores I'll get double the speed - *that* I would notice, although you're right, I should wait ;) Great benchmark though - I feel slow...

BazC
03-15-2007, 03:07 AM
My pleasure! Interesting to see that all your times correspond approximately to mine even the two Tracer scenes which Silverlw and others have rendered soooo much faster, (almost 1000% faster!) on that benchmark site. It's clearly not a Mac/Windows difference. Those scenes were the only ones which asked for AnimSaverHandler for .avi but that surely wouldn't be relevant for a single frame?

Even with AA turned off Tracer-No-Radiosity.lws takes 19.4 secs for me! Very strange!

kopperdrake
03-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Weird - I changed nothing on loading the scenes, and didn't get asked for any AnimSaveHandler. I wonder if there are newer versions of some of the scenes out there?

BazC
03-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Weird - I changed nothing on loading the scenes, and didn't get asked for any AnimSaveHandler. I wonder if there are newer versions of some of the scenes out there?

I took the scenes from LW8 content disk. It may be that you have that plug loaded already in which case LW wouldn't ask for it. I rendered using betas where perhaps the plug has been omitted?

kopperdrake
03-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Ah - could be :) Mine were also from the 8 install. Still - it does show I'm ready for an upgrade ;)

So what's this Rosetta? A Windows emulator? I'm guessing that the UB version of Lightwave should, in theory, eat even your rendering times?

Scazzino
03-15-2007, 09:33 AM
So what's this Rosetta? A Windows emulator? I'm guessing that the UB version of Lightwave should, in theory, eat even your rendering times?

Rosetta is the Mac PowerPC (PPC) emulator that the Intel Mac's use to run "non-Intel/non-universal binary" PPC software... Like LightWave versions prior to the LW Universal Binary when that comes out.

So running LW9.0 on an Intel Mac under Mac OS X (NOT through bootcamp/windows) is running it through Rosetta emulation...

kopperdrake
03-15-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm getting a bit confused now (doesn't take much ;) ). BazC posted 2 sets of figures using his Quad 2.66GHz Mac Pro, OS 10.4.9, the first faster set of tests and the second slower Rosetta set of tests. I understand why the Rosetta sets would be slower if he's running LW via that PPC emulator, so does that mean the first faster set is using the beta UB version of 9.2? Or is there a UB version of 9 out for the Mac that he used?

Sorry for the mind-gloop :)

Scazzino
03-15-2007, 02:59 PM
There is no UB version of LW 9.0... The LW 9.2 UB is now in Open Beta...

BazC
03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
so does that mean the first faster set is using the beta UB version of 9.2?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you ;)

toby
03-15-2007, 03:32 PM
There's a non-UB version of 9.2 as well, I'm guess that was used for the slower times -

kopperdrake
03-15-2007, 07:21 PM
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you ;)

Perhaps ignorance does have its qualities after all :D

dglidden
03-15-2007, 11:14 PM
FWIW - going back in this thread a bit - Apple UK accidentally posted the 8-way MacPros to their store site earlier this week. They were quickly removed. (and I'm sure the offending web tech flogged and summarily dismissed.)

So my guess is _MUCH_ sooner than later.

Captain Obvious
03-16-2007, 04:03 AM
(and I'm sure the offending web tech flogged and summarily dismissed.)
Doubtful. Apple does this all the time. Remember the Power Mac G5 that was "accidentally" announced on the Apple Store two days before release?

To me, it smells publicity stunt.

dsol
03-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Doubtful. Apple does this all the time. Remember the Power Mac G5 that was "accidentally" announced on the Apple Store two days before release?

To me, it smells publicity stunt.

Apart from the fact that a few days after it happened, Apple had a position open for "Senior Web Manager" (or something similar IIRC). Which implies that the person who previously held the role got the boot. Don't underestimate the angry petulance of The Steve :)

kopperdrake
03-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Oof - well the money's sat there so hopefully we'll get a NAB launch...<pleads to the gods of all that is shiny and encased in aluminium>