PDA

View Full Version : Setting HPB - Bone Active or Inactive

MysteryMonkey
03-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Using v9 on a MacBook Pro.

What is the "normal" procedure when setting the HPB (Heading, Pitch & Bank) to 0,0,0 (+P) to a Bone that has already been made Active (R) ? When I set the HPB to an active bone it seems to rip the geometry off of the skeleton after the layout file has been closed and reopened. What is the normal process? I though setting the HPB to 0,0,0 by using +P wouldn't affect the surround geometry of an Active Bone. Am I wrong or is this a known issue with v9?

If a Bone is Active must the bone first be made in-Active, then set the HPB to 0,0,0 and then make the Bone Active again?

Thanks

toby
03-14-2007, 04:42 PM
What you're looking for is Rest (r). When you 'rest' the bones, that's how you tell LW where the bone is when it's not deforming the mesh, to start the deformation 'from here'. Just making it inactive won't change anything.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can '0' the bones in LW. For example if your characters' arms are modeled at a 45 deg. angle down, you can rotate the bone to 0,0,0 and reset it if you want, but then it won't be inside the geometry. I tried to find a way myself but I'm not an authority on LW rigging, maybe someone else has a better answer

MysteryMonkey
03-14-2007, 05:27 PM
What you're looking for is Rest (r). When you 'rest' the bones, that's how you tell LW where the bone is when it's not deforming the mesh. . . .
I could be wrong but I don't think you can '0' the bones in LW. . . .

Toby - Thanks for the reply - As I understand it, when you Rest (r) the bones it also makes them active and attaches the surrounding geometry to it. If you use (+p) on a bone it will zero out the HPB to 0,0,0 of a selected bone but again my understanding is when you do that it records the current rotation and then sets everything to 0,0,0. This is very useful when trying to do something like a walk cycle so you can move bones exactly the same number of degrees from one side to the other. I was wondering if there is an issue with that feature that might show up in v9 being used on an IntelMac as opposed to the PPC version of v9? I'm just trying to figure if it is normal to have to make a bone inactive when resetting the HPB to 0,0,0 or is this a known issue with v9? Since I only have a few months of working with LW I don't know how the program is expected to behave. More than likely it has been an operator error in procedure on my part. One that is easy enough to correct but I wanted to know how its supposed to really work.

Thanks

toby
03-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Toby - Thanks for the reply - As I understand it, when you Rest (r) the bones it also makes them active and attaches the surrounding geometry to it. If you use (+p) on a bone it will zero out the HPB to 0,0,0 of a selected bone but again my understanding is when you do that it records the current rotation and then sets everything to 0,0,0. This is very useful when trying to do something like a walk cycle so you can move bones exactly the same number of degrees from one side to the other.
'r' does activate the bones, but it does so after resting them, it's actually two different commands. After resting the bones, cntrl-r will toggle active & non-active. Hitting r again will re-rest the bones where they currently are.

I will have to try this "+p" you speak of - it's news to me, and yes it would be very useful

MysteryMonkey
03-14-2007, 10:24 PM
. . . . I will have to try this "+p" you speak of - it's news to me, and yes it would be very useful

Just to clarify the keyboard command "+p" could also be written as " shift p "

toby
03-14-2007, 10:31 PM
That's what I figured, I'm still unfamiliar with this command, do you know it's name?

MysteryMonkey
03-14-2007, 11:07 PM
That's what I figured, I'm still unfamiliar with this command, do you know it's name?

Its called "Record Pivot Rotation"

To see the menu location in v9 go to Layout Application>Setup>Modify>Orientation>Record Piv Rot +p

I'm still trying to understand if this can be applied at any time, or if a bone needs to first be made inactive before doing it. Currently if this is done wrong it literally flays the skin right off the bones. That can be corrected but its a hassle .

prospector
03-15-2007, 10:33 AM
My usual runthru;

Frame 0 seems to be the main starting point

I will hit the bone twist tool and make sure my pitches are going the way I want them.
then I hit 'y' to get into bone rotation mode
then 'shift-p' which tells LW that's where I want it set and sets rotation

and because they seem to be following a parental chain I start from root bone and continue thru skeleton.

then I open spreadsheet, select all bones and hit 'r' which records rest position and activates all bones.

Now all bones are set with correct pitch (which bone deformations seem to work off of), and all are at 0.0.0. rotation.