PDA

View Full Version : Apple Leaked specs of the new machines!

tumblemonster
06-19-2003, 09:54 PM
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71406/wo/9w3eIwGfo4yF2xurmUunBKRNBr2/0.0.7.1.0.5.21.1.2.1.2.0.0.1.0

Oops.

-tm

toby
06-19-2003, 11:41 PM
that link's dead, guess they caught on... you'll have to tell us about it

Ade
06-19-2003, 11:59 PM
CONFIRMED APPLE LEAKED IT!
Heres a screen dump!

1000 bus?! man! can u say "whats a bottleneck?"

Rey
06-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Dual 2 GHZ 64bit PPC 970's! 8GB's of DDR SDRAM! I think I need some alone time...

Darth Mole
06-20-2003, 01:55 AM
Okay, so (tries to stay calm) the G5 (970) chip is already about 2-3 times faster than a similar-GHz G4. There are spes online that confirm this.

So that means the dual 2Ghz G5 should be about 6-8 times faster than my dual 800?

Holy crap, Batman - where's my chequebook?

:D

Ade
06-20-2003, 03:46 AM
Yes it should be atleast x6 times faster, and you will see imporvements just alone with the x8 agp and 1000 bus with your radeons people! NEWTEK get those bugs squashed intime for these new beasts!

Johnny
06-20-2003, 05:03 AM
of the two cards offered, which would be the better one?

J

silvergun
06-20-2003, 05:29 AM
dual 2ghz? 1ghz fsb? (starts masterbating frantically)

This is gonna be sweet. Let's just hope newtek figure out how to make a decent mac lightwave that doesn't have problems finding plugins. Maybe we will see a lightwave 7.5d that would fly these babies. Time to rejoice!

wizlon
06-20-2003, 06:12 AM
This might be the G5?

Found on a japanese website.

Johnny
06-20-2003, 06:50 AM
pretty sweet.

the apple logo is stretched horizontally, tho...

if a fantasy, a very nice one!

J

eblu
06-20-2003, 07:22 AM
that aint no photo, thats fer sure

Beamtracer
06-20-2003, 07:52 AM
Yeah, pretty nice fake. There's numerous other fake G5's around the web.

Maybe we should start a design competition, using Lightwave to design our fantasy G5s.

By the way.... I think someone at the AppleStore website will be losing their job tomorrow.

Ade
06-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Maybe apple should learn to stop tryin to keep secrets and release hardware in increments like in the wintel world.. After all who are they keeping secret from? PPC there is no mac competition.
The "WOW" factor can be irritating expecially if you just bought a G4.

At anyway I never buy the first gen of any mac series, or cars, or pc's....etc

tallscot
06-20-2003, 06:15 PM
Just curious, where can I see this confirmation that the IBM 970 is 2-3 times faster than the G4.

I'm not raining on the parade, because I'm very excited myself, but I've never seen any confirmation of the speed of the 970 at all.

IBM provided hypothetical Spec numbers, but that (spec) benchmark was never used for the G4, at least I don't know where any SpecINT and SpecFP numbers are for the G4.

I just want to stay realistic here. Where is any confirmation of the speed of this thing?

silvergun
06-21-2003, 05:52 AM
EErrrr I thought it was 3-5 times faster than a g4.anyhow these beauties will run things from now on

Johnny
06-21-2003, 08:04 AM
I have spotted some 970 articles which go into the HOW the 970 does its duty, but nothing so far to say that it's x-times faster than a G4.

there are some people who can take that nuts and bolts information translate that into x-times faster than G4, but I don't have those powers..

there was a geek site, pro-PC, that sort of p00ped all over the 970, saying it wouldn't be all that fast.

maybe we'll have to wait 'til someone can strap in and test drive it..

J

Ed M.
06-21-2003, 08:18 AM
Anyone interested in a really good discussion about the PPC 970 can hop on over to Ars...

Go to ArsTechnica and visit their OpenForums

You want to visit this forum:
Macintoshian Achaia (http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=frm&s=50009562&f=8300945231)

Then you want to visit this thread discussion: Perpetual Future Apple CPU thread. (was: TGB says GPuL is on!) (http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=3470943335)

tallscot, ANYTHING that was ever posted or discussed about the PPC 970 is posted in that discussion somewhere. Bottom line? It's FAST -- faster than anything being offered right now and probably the next 6 months, which by that time (since it's IBM we're talking about) It's likely that Apple will have even faster machines. *Interesting* indeed. A rack of Xserves perhaps? Couple that with plug-n-play clustering/networking a la Rendezvous and well... ;-) Aint nuttn' like dat on Winders...

What's more, I have a sneaking suspicion that we are only getting *part* of the story. Remember that machine that was supposedly being built for the big Hollywood FX houses? In any event, I think you are starting to get the picture, eh?

--
Ed

Ed M.
06-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Johnny wrote:

there was a geek site, pro-PC, that sort of p00ped all over the 970, saying it wouldn't be all that fast.

Well, let's see, it wasn't ArsTechnica... Everyone there concludes that this monster will be FAST. They also noted that this is only the BEGINNING of a NEW LINE.

It wasn't RealWordTech... The people there are serious professionals. They know the PPC 970 will be FAST. So, what *credible* site was dumping all over the 970?

Remember, this is IBM we're talking about -- not Motorola. I t hink it's a perfect time to introduce a new cpu that's faster than any current desktop offering. Why? because AMD and Intel are ALREADY pushing the envelope with their technologies and they're having a tough go of it. How much faster and further to you think they can push it before mistakes start to happen? Intel in particular has painted itself into a corner. They can't seem to get out from under the spectre of x86 (thanks to AMD giving them a run with x86-64) Itanium is lagging and all future hardware built for Windows is going to be required to carry a LOT of DRM built in at the hardware (cpu) level and then their transition away from BIOS to a proprietary form of OpenFirmware.. It gets confusing really fast -- for EVERYONE in the Wintelon realm. That's why Windows people will probably be stuck with 32bit desktops until the end of the decade. I've explained all this before in a previous thread. All you have to do is search through the archives. It should be easy to find.

--
Ed

Johnny
06-21-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Ed M.
Johnny wrote:

It wasn't RealWordTech... The people there are serious professionals. They know the PPC 970 will be FAST. So, what *credible* site was dumping all over the 970?

Ed...beLIEVE me, I'm in your camp...I can't remember the geek site (might have been geek.com for all I know)

I did a search based on that prior question, hoping for some kind of benchmarks which would show visually how much faster..

I'm just saying that I don't have the ability to describe why it's faster, however you and a few others here do..mine was an attempt to find some websites to point to.

However, I AM going to sit on the fence until I SEE just what the real-world performance is..

J

tumblemonster
06-21-2003, 08:04 PM
How bouts some leaked Panther to go with your new machine specs?

http://www.deskmod.com/panther/

-tm

Ade
06-21-2003, 08:10 PM
...gi,mme more!