PDA

View Full Version : Sparkly Snow?

Digital Hermit
03-13-2007, 03:12 AM
Anyone have an idea or tip on how to render an animation with a "sparkly snow on the ground" effect, or would you have to do this in post with AE, Combustion, etc...

Thanx!

Ztreem
03-13-2007, 06:08 AM
You could do it with particles and hypervoxels, but it's hard to get it too look right. I used a small polygon with very high specularity and low gloss and cloned it randomly over the snow surface, works more like the snow crystals relflecting the light in real snow. To enhance the effect you can use the corona filter to make the highlights more visible.

connerh
03-13-2007, 10:18 AM
This could easily be done using the crust procedural with an incidence angle attached to it. You could even use a vector node to displace the crust procedural and drive the amount by the distance from the camera so that the distant sparkles don't really change much while the closer ones do...

I'll try to pump out a proof of concept really quickly...

Digital Hermit
03-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Ztreem - I give ‘er a try. :)

connerh – Sounds great! I look forward to seeing it. – BTW - Just to be clear, the camera, in my animation, will be slowly moving or panning. I did not know if that would be a problematic factor in your solution.

Thanx again!

connerh
03-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Ok this is just a quick mock up...

JamesCurtis
03-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Connerth,

Your movie link is opening as an html format text not a .mov file? Check it please. For whatever reason i had to change the html document to .mov and it works then. Why didn't is save as .mov as it should?

Ztreem
03-13-2007, 03:02 PM
It's a common problem at this forum, just save target as and play it from your computer, works just fine.

Carm3D
03-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Doo de doo...

Link (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/SnowTest.htm)

Digital Hermit
03-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Beautiful... :cry: Just beautiful, man.

Thanx connerh! (and Carm3D for da fixed link) It is right on the money of what I wanted to see. You saved my arse (at least on this part of the project - heh) for this college animation project I have to do.

I am always amazed at the great help you get here.

Thanx again everyone!

Carm3D
03-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanx connerh! (and Carm3D for da fixed link)

Emm.. I didn't give you a fixed link. I gave you a completely different link.

Digital Hermit
03-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Doh! 8~

I just realized that it's your site and thatís your solution!

Ok proper credit where it is due : Thanx Carm! (and all that stuff I said also applies to you - heh)

<geesh - how embarrassing!>

BTW, I am still looking forward to seeing yours connerth.

Thanx again!

lilrayray77
03-13-2007, 08:55 PM
right click on connerth's video file > save as > and add ".mov" onto the end of the name and then save it. ;)

connerh
03-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Carm's looks better than mine at any rate. If you're interested in getting the bloom that I have, use Better Bloom (search on flay) with specular shading as the mask, then tweak as needed.

Digital Hermit
03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Carm's looks better than mine at any rate. If you're interested in getting the bloom that I have, use Better Bloom (search on flay) with specular shading as the mask, then tweak as needed.

Thanx connerh, for your help and that clip, (thx lilrayray77) and I will look for that plugin!