PDA

View Full Version : LW 9 Crash after Subdividing model

soccerball
03-13-2007, 12:56 AM
LW 9 WinXP Pro on P4 2.66 Ghz with ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 2Gb RAM

This is my first post, I’m totally new to lightwave and I can’t seem to figure out why this happens.

If I subdivide and smooth the texture of a sphere in modeler 9 and save it, LW9 crashes if that object loaded into the scene.

All other LW9 functions work fine so far.

Any suggestions would be great.

thanks…

meshpig
03-13-2007, 04:41 AM
soccerball

How many times have you sub-divided the sphere?

- If you go too hard, as in subdivide the object too many times you'll end up with way too much geometry for the scene to work.

-you can assign values to the sphere first -up in modeler by selecting the make sphere tool then hit "n" for it's numeric settings.

- Check the p/p ststs in Modeler (hit "w") before sending the model to Layout. You will probably start to freak your system out in Layout around the 50-90 000 polygon mark. Don't know really, I use macs.

Sounds like you have made a regular nuetron star though?

M

soccerball
03-13-2007, 11:34 PM
meshpig

Thanks for responding...

I hit subdivide once.

My sphere has a 4m diameter.

With surface smoothing on:

- I have found that in numeric > globe, I can go as high as 24 sides and 24 segments
- I have found that in numeric >Tessellation, I can go as high as 5 segments
- Any value higher then theses and layout crashes…

With surface smoothing off:

- I have found that in numeric > globe, I can go at least as high as 192 sides and 192 segments
- I have found that in numeric >Tessellation, I can go at least as high as 48 segments
- Theses values cause huge memory drain though…

With surface smoothing on, I do not get the memory drain but the edges of the sphere are more erratic then I desire.

I hate to give up but, maybe I just have to live with it if no one has seen a patch for this.

meshpig
03-14-2007, 01:36 AM
soccerball

... no problem! Don't give up!

-If you can go 192 sides with smoothing off, which is **** you'll most likely never need, it suggests there is some problem with the shading rather than the geometry.

- I don't know 9.0 but it may be that you have added some motherlode texture accidentally which when smoothed, goes to overload?

-How about when you sub-patch it?

-Try the same with a box?

-Keep at it!!

:thumbsup:

M

soccerball
04-02-2007, 03:00 PM
meshpig,

Well that took awhile for me to figure out.

I think my computer could be the poster child for the bare minimum requirements for LW 9.

After upgrading to a Pentium D 945 3.4 gig CPU and Installing a PCI express video card, now I can smooth my models.

Thanks for the encouragement…

Soccerball