PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush with Lightwave, how many of you use these two?

Rectro
03-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Im wanting to get along with lightwave as this is the only software I can afford that produces hair and offers good rendering.

Im strugling to get Zbrush to work with lightwave in terms of displacment and bump, normal maps. It would seem that LW is very twitchy in achiving the correct displacment, athough it apears to work fine on the zbrush ape head demo, it fails for me.:help:

How many of you people use Zbrush with LW and how easy do you find it to set up the basics like displacment, normap and bump maps?

Axis3d
03-11-2007, 09:22 AM
I have only started to dabble with Zbrush. There is a PDF tutorial on the Pixologic site called Zbrush to Lightwave. It does work fine.

Setting up the normal, bump, and displacement maps in Lightwave was the easiest part of the whole process - learning my way around the cryptic, non-intuitive Zbrush interface to create and export the various maps was much more difficult. The Lightwave part is totally easy and the results are great.

Sorry I don't have a direct link to the PDF file - Pixologic's site seems to be down at the moment. Hope this helps.

GregMalick
03-11-2007, 10:35 AM
One of the best Tutorials:

LINK (http://www.stevewarner.com/Tutorials/zBrush/zBrushTut.html)

There are other great tutorials on Steve's site too.

Rectro
03-11-2007, 02:15 PM
I have only started to dabble with Zbrush. There is a PDF tutorial on the Pixologic site called Zbrush to Lightwave. It does work fine.

Setting up the normal, bump, and displacement maps in Lightwave was the easiest part of the whole process - learning my way around the cryptic, non-intuitive Zbrush interface to create and export the various maps was much more difficult. The Lightwave part is totally easy and the results are great.

Sorry I don't have a direct link to the PDF file - Pixologic's site seems to be down at the moment. Hope this helps.

Hi. Its the totaly the other way around, Im a long term zbrush user but am a newbe to LW.

I found this link: http://www.zbrush.info/site/index.php/ZBrush_to_Lightwave#Introduction

Its perfect.

GregMalick thanks for that link, I had tryed that before but found it didnt produce the results I was after. I worked it out in the end but it is still not as clean as id like it but alot better. I will tweak for a while.

Thanks guys.

Rectro
03-11-2007, 02:40 PM
So here are some screen shots. As you can see its far from perfect but is alot better than I was getting.

1st picture: Lightwave render. Displace for form and bump for detail.
2nd picture: Zbrush original.
3rd picture: Dsiplacment setup, based on the zbrush ape demo head node setup.
4th picture: Bump setup nodes. This didnt work will I put the Bump Aplitude up to 900%.

pixelinfected
03-11-2007, 04:39 PM
best from zbrush is displacement for low freq dectails, and normal map for high freq dectails, combined on APS subdivision system allow you to have incredible result.

Rectro
03-11-2007, 04:59 PM
best from zbrush is displacement for low freq dectails, and normal map for high freq dectails, combined on APS subdivision system allow you to have incredible result.

Is there a advantage for using normal maps over bump for high details?

pixelinfected
03-11-2007, 05:10 PM
normal map allow lw to shade the surface with XYZ coordinates of virtual dectail, that mean you have better shading, and better dectail.

Bump map fournish to lw only Y coordinates of elevation, and is less rich then normal map.