PDA

View Full Version : Foot Prints In The Sand?

daveythegravy
06-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi everyone, especialy TripulG3 if he on here. One helpful Guy.

I have been experimenting with Motion Designer in order to simulate the impression of footprints in sand, but my efforts are more like water simulation than sand. The water looks great though.

Anyone out there know how to simulate footprints in sand with Motion Designer or anything else for that matter.

daveythegravy:confused:

stoehr
06-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Balance an increase of Hold structure with an increase in viscosity. And be sure the density of your polygons is very high in the path of the walk. I like to make a seperate object for the path to be walked, and place MD on it only (as oppose to the whole ground). It helps to know exactly where your char. is going to walk.

Viscosity and hold structure will give you significant changes on results.

daveythegravy
06-20-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanyou.

I hear you about the foot print plane being a seperate object. This is the way I have gone with my project too.

I shall take ur advise and balance hold structure with viscosity. I knew that Viscosity had to be increased, but lacked knowledge about the other settings.

Thankyou for your help. I'll post the results tomorrow on here.

daveythegravy

daveythegravy
06-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Oh Yeah,

Significantly better, but the simulation still keeps on calculating the whole plane slightly.

I can probably get away with this on long shots, but not on close up shots.

Can I be so bold as to ask you to have a look at my MD simulation.

Thanx again.

daveythegravy

wacom
06-20-2003, 03:26 PM
Why don't you just make seperate files for each set of foot prints, run the MD calulations to just where the foot print ends and then save the MD file. You'd need to repeat this several times, but you could then have the prints stop dead in thier tracks (no pun intended).

stoehr
06-21-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by daveythegravy
Oh Yeah,

Significantly better, but the simulation still keeps on calculating the whole plane slightly.

I can probably get away with this on long shots, but not on close up shots.

Can I be so bold as to ask you to have a look at my MD simulation.

Thanx again.

daveythegravy

Sure, feel free to post the scene and object files. You can email it to me.

stoehr
06-21-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by wacom
Why don't you just make seperate files for each set of foot prints, run the MD calulations to just where the foot print ends and then save the MD file. You'd need to repeat this several times, but you could then have the prints stop dead in thier tracks (no pun intended).

This idea sounds tedious, but it may have the result of a stiff ground.

Definitely try increasing the hold structure parameter. In my experience hold structure seems to "slow down" the viscosity of the ground, and "stiffen" the ground when the object makes contact at faster velocities.

wacom
06-21-2003, 01:06 PM
Also...you could export the final "foot print" object to Modeler and make it into a couple of endomorphs from the first object. Bring it back into Layout....etc etc etc....

daveythegravy
06-22-2003, 12:27 AM
I'm a bit lost on the endomorph idea. Don't know how to offset the prints.

Sounds great though.

TripulG3, over on the 3D Buzz forum has helped me out with a scene where the two feet are made in Photoshop and then used as seperate layers in the surface editor. All that remains then is to use the opacity envelope to make the prints apear at the right time. I modified this by copying the layers over to Texture Displacement and made a more dence plane. This works more like what I was trying to do with Motion Designer.

Would be kinda cool if I could do this with Motion Designer though. More interactive. And gives a natural looking deformation. But well, beggers can't be choosers.

Thanks for all the help Guys.

Please keep the ideas comming.

These foot prints are getting more classy by the minute.

Thanx again

daveythegravy:D

HowardM
06-22-2003, 02:55 AM
I dunno why its so hard for people to SEARCH?
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1181&highlight=footprints