View Full Version : Filling a bottle with pills?

06-19-2003, 03:19 PM
I'm modeling a bottle for vitamins, and would like to have pills fill the bottle. (either capsules or oval-shaped).

I know that I *could* model a bunch of pills and painstakingly position them inside the bottle, so that each one touches its neighbors, and the wall of the glass, but that none intersects these other surfaces..

Is there any easier way of doing this? Particles, maybe?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated..


06-19-2003, 03:36 PM
Sounds like a job for <shazzam . . . !> Motion Designer! :)

I've never used it myself, but once setup it can create very realistic movement / collision detection etc. Perfect for what you need.

Others will be able to help you set about making it work!!!


06-19-2003, 07:16 PM
forgive me for asking..but what is Motion Designer?

Is that an add-on for LW? if so, does it work with Mac OSX?



06-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Here's the link for a tutorial to get you started


Post an image when finnish, I would like to take a look:)

06-20-2003, 08:10 PM

You could also use particles. I personally am a little uneasy with MD simply because I haven't used it much. I would make a pill, have the pill replace the particle and make the bottle a colision object. Then let the pills fill the bottle.

Maybe MD is easier though. What do I know? hmm?


06-07-2004, 01:35 PM
It's been awhile since I posted my original question..other projects pushed this bottle full of pills project to the side.

I went through the motion designer tutorial, and got that to work, but I'm not sure how to get a bottle that is full of pills.

I don't need to *pour* the pills into the bottle; I just need to place them in the bottle, but have them respect both the other pills, and the walls of the bottle..

From what little I know about motion designer, seems this could be a hairy process...but it seems ridiculous to try to hand-position 100 pills into a bottle making sure that no pill went through the glass, or through another pill..

any thoughts?