PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Help

somecoolgeezer
03-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi,

I am about to start rendering the higher end scenes of an animation for university, most of the scenes involve the use of hypervoxels and glow.

I was planning to render to jpegs at 1024x786 (low AA) and scale the final output down to 640x480.

This is simply taking too long to render out. I was expecting longer render times with hypervoxels, but not to this extent.

What I was wondering is if I would get a decent enough output rendering to 640x480 and changing the renders to TIFF32 or TGA32 files as they are lossless.

Obviously rendering at a lower resolution would signigicantly reduce my render times and as TIFF and TGA are lossless the final compression wouldn't suffer as badly from breakup or noise.

Am I correct?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks
S.

toby
03-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Rendering with Low AA at 640 won't look as good as rendered at 1k then scaled down, and it is always better to render to lossless images than to jpgs, but jpg artifacts are not readily apparent, until you re-compress. Just switching from jpg to tga won't give you a noticable improvement in image quality.

If you need to speed things up, switch the HV to Sprites, and/or turn off all raytracing and/or render them separately.