PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Doing A Raid Set Up, Anybody Using One

finenance
03-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Im thinking about doing a raid setup, I have a Mac Pro 2.66. I thinking about using 3x SATA 3 250gb 16mb cache hard drives stripped(raid 0) than mirrored to 750 gb hard drive for back up. Does this make sense for better response time or am just wasting money and time. Any suggestion or experience appreciated.

norlight
03-09-2007, 12:32 PM
A similar topic was recently discussed here (somewhere)...

Do a search.

From what I remember:

- Main reason for RAIDīs are larger storage and higher throughput in conjunction with (mainly) HD-video.
- For LW only, no, thereīs almost no point in a RAID setup.

:thumbsdow

faulknermano
03-10-2007, 11:29 PM
if i'm mistaken, please correct: using an image sequence while scrubbing the timeline is paged, so there may be some potential benefits with using a raid. but such an advantage might not justify the cost of a raid system.

dsol
03-13-2007, 10:31 AM
When scrubbing with an image sequence the limiting factor is much more likely to be the speed that images can be copied to the buffers on your OGL display card. I've always found LW very slow for (what I assume) is that reason. The same thing can happen in After Effects when you work in a OGL accelerated workspace.

Most modern 7200rpm hard drives on the market now can stream uncompressed SD video no problems - and SD video sequences are crawlingly slow in Layout, so HD ones would probably just kill it completely.

Of course I could just be completely wrong. Anyway, the one big benefit of RAID is for data protection (either RAID 1 or RAID 5) - you can do RAID1 (mirroring) on a MacPro using two of the internal drive bays, or you can spend da monies and get an external RAID-5 box, which is a much better solution in the long term if you're working with large projects.

mlinde
03-14-2007, 04:53 PM
All really depends (as you can see from the varied answers) on what you are doing, and what you need. If you want a FAST render drive, pop a pair of 500 or 750 drives in bays 3&4, set them up as RAID0, and render to them - but don't assume that they are "safe" for permanent storage. If you want security and redundancy and speed, an external RAID5 or RAID3 is the solution - I have a 5-bay RAID3 array for primary media storage and source files. My next setup will be the one I described above, for rendering, and the 2nd bay with a 250GB drive for scratch space in a Mac Pro, along with my external RAID for primary media storage.

finenance
03-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Well guys I order the hard drives, I was bored and couldnt help it. Me and technology is like a woman and shoes. I let you know if there is any difference. I decided to experiment with 2x 250gb, 16mb cahce sata II hhd (raid 0/stripped) for speed than mirrored to 500gb hhd for back up. I didnt spend much I got it off ebay..Lol

Mr Maze
03-19-2007, 12:19 AM
I have to use a PC at work - I also do video editing and Photoshop work on it. SATA RAID 0, IDE Drive w/ XP on it, and I have 2 hot swap SATA drives to do backups on. I alternate every day on the backups and the whole thing seems to work good except for...it is a blindows machine.