PDA

View Full Version : Light beams .Volumetrics

dankayaker
03-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Hello,
I'm new to LW9 and tryin gto basically produce shafts of light coming through doors as they open. For some reason I can't get my volumetric spotlight to show up in the renders . . . am I approaching this wrong ?
thanks

dankayaker
03-09-2007, 09:31 AM
I know this is easy for you more advanced guys . . I really need help to get this effect and don't want to use AE to do it.

iconoclasty
03-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Let's start with the most obvious question. Have you checked volumetric lighting under the lights properties?

dankayaker
03-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Yup, I placed a spotlight behind the doors , aimed it towords the camera and checked volumetric on the lights property panel.

Iaian7
03-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Make sure that the volumetric distance is set... that's the first thing to do. It should be giving you some dashed lines in the Layout viewport to show where the light starts and ends. The defaults are set to start the volumetric at the light origin, and let it travel to 10m / ~33'. Depending on how far away your light is, this may not be far enough to reach inside the door.

Also check shadow options. It's been a little while since I've played with LW volumetrics, but you may need to play around with raytracing options. Some will cause shadows to be ignored, some will ignore transparency.

dankayaker
03-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't see any way to adjust the distance the light is thrown ?? I can widen or narrow the focus . . this makes no sense to me. The light is physically very close to the doors.

iconoclasty
03-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Under volumetric options it's listed as Height. As Iaian7 said, it defaults to 10m.
Also, it should be on by default but double check volumetric lights are on under render globals.

dankayaker
03-09-2007, 12:34 PM
I checked and volumetric lighting is on and adjustments to the height do nothing. I must be overlooking something simple.

iconoclasty
03-09-2007, 01:21 PM
can you post of screencap of what the scene looks like or maybe the scene itself?

dankayaker
03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
If you could email me I can send you some images:

[email protected]

thanks

dankayaker
03-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Here is a screen shot
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/dmirolli/Audio/Picture%202.png

Simon
03-09-2007, 01:49 PM
You have a scale problem! That door is pretty huge with a grid size of 2km, but your light cone is only 10m. Plus you have the cone base and height set as the same. Try making your objects real life sizes in modeller (it makes more sense when you come to tweak settings in layout) then have the cone base as 1m and the height as say 10m.

dankayaker
03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
thanks Simon . . . .is there a way I can just adjust my light way up . . . . . . .. . it would take me a while to resize everything.

dankayaker
03-09-2007, 02:04 PM
OK. I adjusted the light height way up (I've learned my lesson about scale also) . . . . . now the light is a big cotton ball that is not being obscured or effected by the doors in front of it.

Simon
03-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Turn on shadows on the render tab?

dankayaker
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
yup, that worked . . now just need to fine tune . . thanks so much for the help . . sorry to bore you guys with rudimentary problems.

iconoclasty
03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
That's why we're here.

dankayaker
03-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Hey Guys . .another question . . .having difficulty in getting the right look to the light. I'm wanting a wash of semi-transparent light to leak out of the doors as they are opening. I'm using a spotlight and it seems overpowering. The source seems way too dense and bright while the rays seems way to subtle. Anyone have a nice formula or preset you're willing to share ?

thanks

Bog
03-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Well, I could point out that your luminosity's set to 102% and your density's set to 100% - those are the things you're finding undesirable ;)

What you might try is enveloping the values as the doors open, so the cantseethroughitiveness (technical term, that) ramps up as the doors open.

dankayaker
03-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Well, I could point out that your luminosity's set to 102% and your density's set to 100% - those are the things you're finding undesirable ;)

What you might try is enveloping the values as the doors open, so the cantseethroughitiveness (technical term, that) ramps up as the doors open.

Thanks,
My luminosity is now set around 10% w/ Density at 20% . . I'm still getting too much of a central glow.

Bog
03-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Maybe have a play with "Effect Dissolve", just to knock it back?

starbase1
03-13-2007, 05:18 AM
Also make sure you have Viper turned on - it's absolutely invaluable in these situations for giving a quick preview as you experiment with settings.

But I really would seriously consider getting your scales correct before going too far - volumetric effects do not always scale nicely, along with some other things, and it may save a LOT of time in the long run...

Nick

Bog
03-13-2007, 05:19 AM
Truth. A lot of LW's bits and pieces are happiest in the 1 to 10 metre range.

dankayaker
03-13-2007, 06:28 AM
Also make sure you have Viper turned on - it's absolutely invaluable in these situations for giving a quick preview as you experiment with settings.

But I really would seriously consider getting your scales correct before going too far - volumetric effects do not always scale nicely, along with some other things, and it may save a LOT of time in the long run...

Nick

I think I'll try to correct the scale today Nick. Thanks
BTW . . . . .I've tried using VIPER several times but never got it to work. I rendered out a frame ,turned it on and . . nothing.

Sarford
03-13-2007, 01:30 PM
You need to have it enabled BEFORE rendering a frame AND have the surface panel open for it to show you your rendert in Viper.

cinciguy
03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
[edit] Oh, wow, I completely missed that there were 2 pages. wheee.

EagleWing
03-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Another good tip bud is to press the volumetrics button then press F8 to bring up the presets window, you can swith between different light types at the top left. sometimes good as a starter for settings then tweak from there.
Good Luck.