PDA

View Full Version : Posing help?!

miv79
03-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Hi all, I am new to this forum (and LW) so please go gently on me! :)

I have recently purchased a 3D model (.lwo) of a Newt, (a lizard-like creature), from Turbosquid which I needed for a personal project. The model can be seen here (http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/320927).

All I need to do is pose it (in a typical newt-like pose) as the default pose is a flat road-kill like one. Then I can render out a few still from various angles to use in photoshop. Job done.

My original plan (not being a LW user) was to export the model from the LW demo so that a friend could pose it for me in 3DS which he knows very well. However the model didn't seem to export properly for 3DS so we then thought, just pose it in the LW demo instead.

Easier said than done it would seem! ;)

We figured out that the model has 'skelegons' which we then converted to bones. We can pose the bones but the mesh itself doesn't reflect any changes made to the bone positions.
ie. The the bones and the mesh don't seem linked together!?!

The limited info that comes with the model says 'easy to pose' so there must be something fairly obvious we're not doing.

Does anybody have an inkling as to what we may be missing or doing wrong?

Many thanks

prospector
03-09-2007, 10:29 AM
In modeler, make sure bones are in same layer as object

In layout make sure bones are turned on

They should work then.

petebeat
03-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Or if you have limited time to learn bones at the moment, you could maybe just pose the object in modeler? If the model is reasonably lowpoly and you only need a couple of poses, it should go fairly quick. (Remember to change rotation mode to mouse, otherwise it is harder to control).
(And maybe make a few morphs as you go. Just choose "M" in the low right corner, and drop down to "new". Then make the pose. Repeat as needed. In layout go to "object/properties/deform/drop down plugins to morph mixer")

Surrealist.
03-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Another thing to try is just see if you can load the model right into 3DS, as an import. 3DS must have an import function, yes? Also you could try other formats that 3Ds might have an import for such as the object file format. Just try different exports from LW and see if you can find one that works in 3DS.

As far as bones go, there is much to learn about rigging and much of it is set up in the scene so it would not have come with the object. You have to think about bone influence or weightmaps and I don't think many people get a hang of all of that right off the bat. I second the idea of posing in Modeler as another option. But you have to be aware of how to select polygons and/or points and use the rotate tool as well as the action center modes mentioned above. (Mouse is a good choice as stated).

One good technique is to select the whole leg (including foot) and then rotate from the joint slightly, then use the shift [ key to the reduce the selection and then rotate a little more and so on. You can use the shift ] key to expand the selection to go back to a previous loop. Repeat the same thing for the next joint.

Say if there are 3 edge loops at the elbow, have the entire lower arm/leg selected up to that ring (INCLUDING HAND OR FOOT) so you have the whole thing moving from that pivot. Reduce the selection and rotate from the next ring.You can also use the move tool to readjust the position as well to tweak as you go.

Then you may have to take and drag points around to fill out the joint so it is not collapsed.

This, as involved as it may sound, is about 100 times easier than learning and dealing with bone influence or weights for the first time with a whole model that has to maintain a form. Oh and do set up the morphs as mentioned. Nice thing about morphs is you can discard them and start over if need be without loading the whole model. You can also create a morph for each limb, that will be a big help.

adamredwoods
03-09-2007, 06:03 PM
>> We figured out that the model has 'skelegons' which we then converted to bones. We can pose the bones but the mesh itself doesn't reflect any changes made to the bone positions.
ie. The the bones and the mesh don't seem linked together!?!

If you made your bones in a separate layer from the mesh, then you need to (in Layout):
1. Select your mesh
2. press 'p' for the properties panel
3. Select 'Bones' on the bottom in main window (or press shift+B)
4. on the bones properties panel select 'Use Bones From' and choose the layer with your bones

That will deform your mesh.

miv79
03-10-2007, 03:46 AM
Wow, thanks for all the replies, friendly place you got here! :)

Will, let u know how I get on...