PDA

View Full Version : Rigid bodies from XSI 6 into LW 9

Werner
03-08-2007, 11:24 PM
What is the best way to bring Rigid body animation into LW? I'm sitting with 100 object files from xsi 6 (with mdd files). The free Mdd Compiler on the Point Oven site does not work for some reason, and I don't want to import all those files separately.

Anyone?

tonybliss
03-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Hey Wern ... I thiunk XSI 6 comes with the full pointoven which exports all object motions to mdd ... check the manual to verify or PM pooby or T4D.

pooby
03-09-2007, 06:36 AM
XSI can export a LW scene with it all working.. You'll need point oven in layout though to read the mdds, but I think you can use an unlicensed version to just read the file.
Otherwise its a case of re-pointing the objects to the mdd files with cloth fx.

you can also, if you have XSI, merge the objects together and bake out the mdd into one object (keep the operator running live)

If you want, you can send me the XSI file and I'll sort it out for you.

Werner
03-09-2007, 06:54 AM
It was exported using Point oven, but it saved all the objects as seperate LWO files with their respective mdd files.

I'll give the LW Point Oven plugin a go...hope it works.

Thanks guys. I will get back to you on this asap.

Werner
03-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Ok, I got it working. I feel really stupid, because I did not ask for the LWS to be exported as well. Thanks Pooby and cgswami. You guys are great.

Pooby, I have one more question for you. I have limited skills using XSI, and was wondering if any of the modeling tools was viewport interactive. From the manual it seems that any tool will always bring up the property box, where you can change parameters...which is slow in my book.

Apart from that XSI looks like one cool application.

pooby
03-09-2007, 08:03 AM
You can disable the property pop up if you wish.

It depends on how you work.. my tried and tested modelling method that I used in LW didn't work so well in xsi and its history for me now.
To be honest, Now 95% of the time I only use about 4 tools when I'm organic modelling - none of which bring up property panels and I'm about 5 times faster modelling in xsi than I am in LW now.
For organic modelling, making faces etc, the proportional modelling mode is brilliant. It's like a really interactive and intelligent dragnet or magnet (works out nearest points not only on distance but by neighbourhood if you wish(so if you move the lower lip, it wont move the top lip)) but you can use it on scale and rotate too.
and the \ key for 'drawing' your toplogy onto the object is just amazing.

Werner
03-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Hmmm, I suppose it would be dumb to jump into XSI with LW modeling techniques in mind.
The tweak tool is out of this world, and I had a look at proportional modeling, and that is just as brilliant. I hope to find more time over the next couple of weeks to explore. It won't be fun until I am comfortable with the application.

Thanks for the reply and enjoy your weekend buddy.

jasonwestmas
03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
XSI can export a LW scene with it all working.. You'll need point oven in layout though to read the mdds, but I think you can use an unlicensed version to just read the file.
Otherwise its a case of re-pointing the objects to the mdd files with cloth fx.

you can also, if you have XSI, merge the objects together and bake out the mdd into one object (keep the operator running live)

If you want, you can send me the XSI file and I'll sort it out for you.

I noticed that there is a FREE MDD .lwo compiler on the PO site. Is that all you need to import a deformation animation for a character from XSI??

Werner
03-30-2007, 02:00 AM
I could not get the compiler to work, but Pooby's post explains what you need.

jasonwestmas
03-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Well I got a reply from Mark the PO author and he thinks the best route is just to get Point Oven for lightwave. Thanks for the Reply Werner :)

SplineGod
03-30-2007, 10:00 AM
If XSI exports mdd files you should be able to load them into LW using mdplug which comes with LW, clothfx which comes with LW or the DP toolkit.
I dont think you need point oven to import them into LW.

jasonwestmas
03-30-2007, 12:08 PM
If XSI exports mdd files you should be able to load them into LW using mdplug which comes with LW, clothfx which comes with LW or the DP toolkit.
I dont think you need point oven to import them into LW.

Yeah, that was the impression I got from reading about it on various forums. I'll give it a shot before forking over $100.