PDA

View Full Version : Quadruped rig

Lottmedia
03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Alright, If you've see my other threads you know I'm working on a lion model, if u haven't: I'm working on a lion model. Now that we're all on the same page, I wanted to see if anyone had a generic quadruped rig they wouldn't mind loaning out? I'll return it when I'm done, promise :) I'm crap for rigging and I thought if anyone had one out thee I could adapt then I would owe them a cookie and save myself some heartache.

Anywho, thanks in advance

Casey :cat:

Speedmonk42
03-08-2007, 08:46 PM
There is a quadraped rigging video at kurvstudios.

For some reason when you click on it, it goes to the wrong video.

But it exists so give them a call.

If it is what you are working on then it seems worth the investment. I have never seen it, jsut know it exists

philipsavage
03-09-2007, 03:31 AM
Maestro has a quadruped rig plus many others. They have a full demo version for evaluation available to download @ www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro/.
If rigging is a problem for you it maybe worth a look at.

Lottmedia
03-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the reply, but it seems maestro doesn't work with 9.2, and some of the rendering requires the cute glass effects of dielectric material. Plus, well...someone out there has to have a quadruped rig they could release out to the wide world? Just the rig, are we that stingy with out stuff? Right now the budget for this project is about 6dollars and a can of Red Bull so I'm not necessarily able to drop the 150 or so bucks for maestro out of petty cash right now (I guess I could split the Red Bull with you if you really wanted....). Someone has to have one......:) I've been searching the contet disks for all my LW books, I thought there was one on one of them but ofcourse my office is in disarray.

WShawn
03-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi:

There's a rigged dog in the LW 9 Content files that you might be able to adapt. There's a model called ProtonJack01.lwo in the Objects/MotionMixer folder, and there's a scene where he's rigged to walk and run to illustrate motion mixer, and that's in the Scenes/MotionMixer folder (ProtonJack_MM1.lws).

Hope this helps.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Lottmedia
03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Shawn, you are my own personal hero. That's what I was looking for. Whooo!!!!

WShawn
03-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Glad I could help. I came across that a few months ago while trying to learn more about how Motion Mixer worked.

Actually, I wish there was documentation that came along with these scenes that explained how they worked. I'm trying to improve my rudimentary character animation skills, and to that end I'm ordering some videos from Kurv studios.

In the case of this dog animation, could someone explain what the blue lines are running from the dog's appendages to the Jack_Master null and what their function is?

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall

Lottmedia
03-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Poo1 I don't know if I can use it or not. Maby it has something to do with it using MotionMixer is some way but I cant get the rig to do anything. Poo, poo, poo, poo!

I do know those lines run from the end of any bone chain to the root, if that helps. Whenever I make a IK chain they apear, thought I'm not sure if they're just there or they serve some mysterious purpose

WShawn
03-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi:

I'm able to animate the rig. You have to go into Motion Mixer, select one of the motions, like Jack_Walk, then select Edit Motion. This will sort of send the keyframes from Motion Mixer to layout, at which point you can revise the keyframes and the animation. When finished, select Edit Motion again and it will ask you whether you want to accept the changes. If you select Keep Channels in the Layout Channels section those keyframes will stay in Layout and you can continue as normal.

And you're right about the blue lines illustrating the IK chain. I kind of knew that.
Shawn Marshall

Lottmedia
03-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Well, I'm able to do a little something with the rig, but I cant seem to export it to use in another model. it keeps giving me errors. What am I suposed to do to get a rig from one model to another>

WilliamVaughan
03-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I'd suggest looking into Jonny Gordon's rigging book...best resource for Rigging I have seen!

WShawn
03-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Here's a simple test I did. I opened up the ProtonJack model in modeler, made some changes to it, and saved it with a different name. I opened up the ProtonJack scene, sent the keyframes from Jack_Walk in Motion Mixer to layout, then turned off the actor. I deactivated all the bones in the dog model and then replaced the ProtonJack model with my modified dog model. I then reactivated the bones and the new model was rigged and walking like the original.

I would take your lion model and scale it to be about the size of ProtonJack in Modeler. You should probably add weight maps that generally match the dog model. Then do what I did above to replace the dog model with your lion model in the rigged scene. You might have to move some bones around while they're deactivated to match the anatomy of your lion.

Good luck.

Shawn Marshall

Lottmedia
03-11-2007, 03:14 PM
I'd suggest looking into Jonny Gordon's rigging book...best resource for Rigging I have seen!

Yeah, I have that book, actually. But I was just looking for a drop in rig to see this model and I'm not entirely comfortable with his methods.

Dodgy
03-12-2007, 04:29 AM
The blue lines just indicate any IK chains you have in the scene.

Lottmedia
03-23-2007, 02:23 PM
OK, so if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, I finally got a decent rig through various methods. I make the skeligons in Modeler and brought it over. Once I had it in layout I got the ik and goals and limits working about right. Problem was I did a 100% dissolve on my lion model while working on it to make it easier on the eyes ( and processor) and when I undid the dissolve, it no longer deformed right to the bones. I tried exporting and then importing the rig to the original model and the spine/tail/neck chain works and deforms the model right, but the legs dont. I thought I remember a way to "use bones from another object" but I cant seem to figure it out. Anyone got any answers?

Lottmedia
03-23-2007, 02:33 PM
OK, dont know why but the leg bones were coming in turned off, so turn them on and it works now, sorta. Darn edit time limit, now my idiocy is immortalized.....

Lottmedia
03-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Still not working, cant get the skeleton and model to line up correctly and just have jumbled garbage. This is the worst workflow ever! Why are we spending time on CCs and other stuff! I HATE THIS!!

Dodgy
03-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Do your bones sit where the object should be? IE your default boning pose? If so, then all you should need to do is select all your bones and hit 'r' for Rest the bones. Then the lion should snap to be normal, and your bones should work. It really isn't that complex, so you're missing something obvious.

Lottmedia
03-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Just spent a while getting the rig to work right. I used Jonny's methods for it, works ok, not 100% on it but it was a starting place. Decided to save it for reference before playing more. today I opened up the save file and it's jumbled, completely different than before. If I turn off the bones the object reverts to normal, but if I turn on the bones it's like if every point was assigned a deferent weight map. BTW there are no weight maps, I've turned them all off and it still does it.

Lottmedia
03-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Alright, I think it has something to do with the "record pivot rot" If I try to parent a bone to another after doing that, I get gibberish. If I parent all the bones then record the rot it's fine. The problem is no matter what I do when I save it and come back, it's gibberish. Both of my machines exibit this 9.0 and 9.2. I literally cant contiue because all of my work is wasted after a safe. Does anyone know what this is?

SplineGod
03-27-2007, 01:33 AM
The quadruped rigging video at KURV is mine and is available on my site as well.
Heres a little video demonstrating the rig.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/rig_demo.mov

Dodgy
03-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Do you rest the bones after you've recorded the pivot rotation? Otherwise LW remembers the old rotation values as being the rest rotations, not <0,0,0>.

SplineGod
03-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Its interesting that LWs native expressions, targetting etc sees the old rotational values so they dont work properly with RPR. Relativity doesnt seem to have the same problems. :)