PDA

View Full Version : My Aura doesn't know Quicktime?

mgrusin
06-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Hey Kids-

I have a client who wants a Quicktime file as output. I've been reading the instructions for converting from an RTV to QT in this thread (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3206), but on my system the MODE/QUICKTIME menu in Aura is grayed out.

I haven't seen this mentioned. It feels like I need a QT codec installed on my system (I've never needed one so haven't), but exactly what do I need? The free player? QT Pro? Something else?

I'm using VT2, build 3890, on Win2K.

Thanks for any advice, -MG

Paul Lara
06-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by mgrusin
exactly what do I need? The free player? QT Pro? Something else?

Mike, go download the free QuickTime player, and that will give the files that Aura needs!

mgrusin
06-19-2003, 03:42 PM
Cool. Thanks as always Paul! :D

-MG

mgrusin
06-20-2003, 12:25 AM
In case anyone's still listening...

I installed QT and Aura recognizes it as advertised.

However, I can't seem to get audio working in my QT exports. After importing my RTV and .WAV files, both seem to play back OK within Aura. But when I export as QT (using for example the MPEG-4 codec) and play back outside the Toaster, the video plays back fine but the audio is very choppy, loses sync. and ends well before the video does. It seems to do this with any codec I try, and playing back on different computers.

My client wants to use these QT files as input to iDVD, so they need to be high quality but still fit several minutes on a CD-ROM (I tried uncompressed but at 5GB it was too large, MPEG-4 seems to work nicely at 300MB, except for the audio problem).

Any tips, tricks, things to try?

Thanks all. -MG

Update: if I load my QT file back into Aura, it plays back OK there... don't know why the standalone player has problems though.

Aegis
06-20-2003, 03:23 AM
I've posted this on the forums before and never got any response - had to buy a Quicktime Pro license in the end and export from that instead - Aura's QT export is definitely screwy.

mgrusin
06-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi Aegis, with QT Pro, are you using it standalone to convert between formats (can it read an RTV and WAV?) or are you still using Aura with the QT Pro codecs?

Thanks for your post! -MG

Aegis
06-20-2003, 12:26 PM
QTPro uses the same codecs (it's the same package just with some editing features enabled) and in answer to your question, it depends on the job - I tend not to use QuickTime unless a job calls for it but QTPro will import any AVIs (but not RTVs) you have codecs for and also take in image sequences. Once you've got your video and audio loaded you can output .MOVs in whatever codec you need.

If you need to do any work with QuickTimes it's well worth buying a pro license key.

vip3dran
06-23-2003, 01:26 PM
We've been thru the checklist many times over, to get the best solution for Quicktimes and have a proven method nailed down that gives great results. Only hitch is that it would require you to purchase Sorenson Squeeze for windows (not sure of price at this time).

Export the edit from TED either as uncompressed RTV or as uncompressed BGR-24. Bring the resulting file into Adobe After Effects and export as uncompressed Quicktime (with 48Khz audio).

Bring the resulting .mov into Squeeze and export using the appropriate output format, in your case CD - which puts out 320x240, 30fps and MP3 stereo 96kbps. All parameters can be tweaked within Squeeze to suit your needs. I would have to say the results are impressive from Squeeze and recommend it to anyone with a call for outputting quicktimes.

I've seen 1gb files (uncompressed) knocked down to about 70mb when using the above settings for CD.

The only quirk I've seen with it is that Squeeze doesn't seem to like AVI files over a certain length, hence the 'in-between' step of going to uncompressed quicktime before squeezing.

If you'd like to see some examples, check out our website.
www.vip3d.com