PDA

View Full Version : screamernet rendering blank images

vteditor
03-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi,

I've set up screamer net as per Dan Ablans method in his Inside LW8 book.
everything is seeing every thing, cpus are detected, and when I start the render nall nodes start rendering.

However all I get is black images.

If I render from layout on the master the images renders fine, but if I use it as a node as well it renders black.

Any sugestions?

voriax
03-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Sounds as though the nodes arent finding some files. SN is a tricky little thing to set up properly. Double check your paths. Just try and get one node working perfectly and copy the settings to the rest.

Have you tried watching the screen of one of the nodes when it's loading the scene? It will tell you whether it can't find objects.
Unfortunately, SN controller and the nodes don't communicate very well - they do it in a very basic way. So if something is missed by the node, it will still register as having loaded something, and the controller will just tell it to "render", which it will, but it will render a blank image.

vteditor
03-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I did eventuallly notice the error message but it was flashing up so quick as the node started. I kept checking my node batchfiles and found I had to be more specific with the contect path. now all nodes are loading the scenes properly but only the two running on the master machine save the files.
i.e. all nodes are rendering correctly but not saving across the network.
Again looks like a path issue, but the save path is set in the scene file.

It seems that when I set it as a network path i.e. \\3dboxx\LightWave\screamer_save when I click ok to confirm the path LW reverts it back to the local path i.e. C:\Lightwave... etc etc I think this is my main issue now.

is there a switch I could add to the node batchfile to solve this?

voriax
03-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Hm, well, the way I save images from node renderings is just to a local path on each machine. Then, when the sequence is finished rendering, just copy all the stills from the nodes to the local machine - I use a DOS batch file to just copy it all.

On all node machines, and local machine, I have a dir called C:\Render, so when I set the save path in the scene file, i just set it to c:\render and they all save to their local drives.

I gave up on trying to have the nodes save their images to a shared directory, after a couple of tests and having some files not written, it seemed safer to have them save locally.

vteditor
03-10-2007, 05:18 PM
that sounds like a plan.

thanks for the help