PDA

View Full Version : 12 days left till inside lightwave 9 comes out

borkus
03-08-2007, 10:44 AM
can't wait!!! pre-ordered my copy thru amazon. that and frank miller's graphic novel "300", which was the basis for the movie that comes out tomorrow. both look very, very cool... i've never had any of dan ablan's books, but i've heard nothing but good stuff about them. he did mention in a thread a while ago that this was going to be his last. what a shame. hope him the best in his new endeavors.

mj418
03-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Great news! I wasn't aware, so I appreciate the heads up - I stopped checking for the release date a while ago, figuring I'd hear about it when it happened. Seems to me it was once said it'd be out around Christmas '06.
I've got Dan's ILW 6, 7 and 8, and am definitely gonna get ILW9. I'm sure it'll be every bit as good. The earlier versions have some bugs and errors in the tutorials, but one great thing about Dan Ablan is if you have a problem you can email him and he actually answers -pretty quickly most of the time, plus he hangs at the LW forums as well.
Is a shame it'll be the last. We should all buy, like, a hundred copies, so it's too much of a success to deny doing another one for LW 10. ;)

JeffrySG
03-09-2007, 10:19 AM
I've got mine on pre-order through Amazon as well... :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
03-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Hey, does anyone know if the book will be covering the new features found in v9.2?

GaryLW
03-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Right, that's mine pre-ordered as well!

androidmaker
03-26-2007, 03:05 AM
its delayed a month

dablan
03-27-2007, 07:40 PM
The book will be out this week. Please don't listen to Amazon. While they might not have it in right away (we LW'ers get the shaft) - it's coming off the print run this week.

It does cover 9.2 - hence the delay. Lots and lots of additional video tutorials to take the chapters further are included.

Here's a table of contents:
http://www.danablan.com/inlw9_toc.pdf

Thanks -

androidmaker
03-27-2007, 10:24 PM
from the peachpit web site "This publication currently is not for sale."

Yamba
03-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks Dan,

As with all your publications I'm looking forward to its delivery.:thumbsup:

Ordered October 18 2006.:yingyang:

Yamba

inquisitive
03-28-2007, 04:33 AM
How extensively does it cover 9.2?
What will be the difference between Inside LW8 and Inside LW9?

Still have not finish going through v8 book.

JeffrySG
03-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Dan, the TOC looks great.... looking forward to getting my copy... I'm really glad the 9.2 material made it in! :)

cheers!

dablan
03-28-2007, 07:39 AM
The format is the same as the previous books, but there are new projects, centered around LW9. There are additional videos to take the chapters further. INLW8 you build an old man face with splines - this book, you build a fun character with subdivisions. INLW8 you built a cell phone, this book, you build an iPod, plus the cord, glass, and texture and render it. The TOC will show the chapters.

Androidmaker - the book is coming any day. I'd imagine as soon as it comes in from the printer, the Peachpit site will be updated.

Bog
03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Is Peachpit going to be the quickest place to buy it fron, Dan?

dablan
03-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Probably Amazon is the quickest. They usually have it first. And, it's cheaper there than through Peachpit.

dablan
03-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi guys -
just heard from the publisher about 5 minutes ago.
Inside LightWave v9 has in fact been released - March 26, 2007.
So, I'd imagine within the week, online retailers such as Amazon will see them in stock. They ship from the printer direct to Amazon. For brick and mortar stores, they ship to a distributor, which then get reshipped to the stores, at which point it's up to some kid to stock them. So, figure a bit longer before stores have them on the shelf. :)

colkai
03-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Now we wait weeks for Amazon.co.uk to pull their finger out and get it over here in Blighty :)

esper8
03-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Now we wait weeks for Amazon.co.uk to pull their finger out and get it over here in Blighty :)

Tell me about it, I ordered my copy back in January when Amazon had it listed as available and delivered within 1-2 weeks, all I`ve had since then is a raft of e-mails from them telling me that it`s been delayed :(

BTW, do a price comparison between Amazon's UK site and the US site.....:( :(

androidmaker
03-31-2007, 04:01 AM
he shows you how to make a penguine.

dablan
03-31-2007, 06:47 AM
And quite a few other things. It's not all about modeling, but lighting, rendering, interface, etc. Did you see the book?

androidmaker
03-31-2007, 06:57 AM
peach pit with safari books online have one you can take a look at online. just go to the peachpit.com site and look up the book and take the free tour.

dablan
03-31-2007, 07:14 AM
Ah yes -
That can give you a good overview of the book (and many others).

blueshift
03-31-2007, 07:47 PM
First off I love your books "indespensable". I read here you reply to emails regarding some errors in the books. Do you have any archive say where you've posted answers to the errors as it would seem to be time consuming to answer emails to the same question over and over. I'm at ch 12 Inside LW 8 Corvette tute BR front and back background images don't match TL and BL even though I changed size to 8m for all three. I unticked the aspect locked and streched the horizontal to mach my begining wireframe in th TL. Would this be the correct approuch?

dablan
04-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Normally there's an errata page on the publisher's site. Your approach for lining up the images is correct. From what I remember, I don't think those images are a perfect match - which is part of the instruction - that you can use similar images and still work from them.