PDA

View Full Version : Set An Object To Render As Wireframe?

Giacomo99
03-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Hello-

I want to set the properties of an object so that it will only render as a wireframe (in "realistic" render mode, with other objects in the same scene rendering fully shaded- the reason is that I want to use the wireframe as a guide for later 2D work.)

I keep thinking I've done this easily with some check-box or pull-down at some time in the past, but I can't find it anywhere--either in "Object Properties" or "Render Flags" or the Surface Editor.

Please advise.

MonroePoteet
03-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Using V8.2, you can set the surface to "Render Outlines" in the Suface Editor. If there's more than one surface, you'll have to do them each. In the past, I've saved a separate object (with an "_outline" suffix on the name) when I want to switch back and forth.

You can also set the object to "Render Edges" under the Edges tab in the object property. Then, by either setting the surfaces to transparent, or using a dissolve of slightly less than 100% (e.g. 99.9999%), only the edges will render. These edges are not seen by rays (i.e. reflection), and the rendering takes longer due to the transparent polygons.

I've also made a pseudo-wireframe object by using bevel. If you load the object in modeler, get into polygon mode, use double-quote to select all polys, then use bevel with an offset of say .01 and a shift of zero, and finally press DELETE to get rid of the shifted polys, it will create tiny real polygons along each edge.

There may be better ways of doing it...I'm no expert.

mTp

bob anderson
03-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Even better... Go to the Render Panel and set the Render mode to wireframe.

Bob Anderson

zardoz
03-13-2007, 03:44 AM
note that some of these options only work with classic camera. They don't work with the new cameras...they don't render edges or lines.

JBT27
04-26-2007, 08:04 AM

Bob Anderson

But DO only use Classic Camera - as I just discovered the hard way :)

Julian.

toby
04-26-2007, 05:17 PM
You can go to object properties, set Dissolve to 99.9%, in the Edges tab turn on 'surface borders', 'other edges' or whatever you need - then you can use the realistic render.

cagey5
04-26-2007, 11:58 PM

Bob Anderson

Except that he wants some objects wireframe and some fully shaded in the same render...