PDA

View Full Version : holes in my subpatches, polygon issues

Sentinel45
03-07-2007, 10:14 AM
I've been having some problems subpatching. I've been working on one of my models and when I convert to subpatch mode the polygons have holes in them around the edges.

I'm also having problems with the polygons, after they've been flipped they tend to be a darker color than the rest of the model. Any thoughts?

Sensei
03-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Try Merge Points, then Unify Polys.. If you have such polygon, select it and press 'i' short-cut to open Information window to see how many points you have and their locations..

Sentinel45
03-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Try Merge Points, then Unify Polys.. If you have such polygon, select it and press 'i' short-cut to open Information window to see how many points you have and their locations..

All right. I'll try that out, though I have been having some trouble w/ merge points. I've been working on a Godzilla model (an early version is in the works in progress gallery) and when I mirror the object and attempt to merge the points, I keep getting the error message, "no points merged." Thank you for the info, though.

Surrealist.
03-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Can you post some pictures?

Also take a look at Terry Fords mirror plugins. Great for working in symetry.

Ty Catt
03-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Hey there,

I've had the same problem, and here were some posed solutions for me...

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=57206&goto=newpost

They really helped me out.

Tyler

Ty Catt
03-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Oops,

Heres the original thread...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57206

Tyler

Sentinel45
03-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Can you post some pictures?

Also take a look at Terry Fords mirror plugins. Great for working in symetry.

Here are some pics. I need A LOT of work. Sorry for the delay. Had trouble uploading.

Amurrell
03-10-2007, 07:53 PM
If the points are too far apart, then the merge points option won't work. Sometimes this seems to be and arbitrary distance and you think that the points of adjacent polys are on top of each other, but they aren't. I come across this problem a bit and the only way I have found around it is by editing the points manually. It takes quite a bit of work to move points/polys around, but sometimes it's the only answer.

If you try the merge points thing and there are no points merged, then go to wireframe in the perspective view and click on some points in the areas in question (you can isolate the points better in this view), if a value of greater than one appears in your selection, then you will have to weld these points manually.

And for the mirror thing... make sure you set the value for all the points along the mirror axis to 0 (assuming the model is centered) Just select center points, press 'v', select the axis and set the value. That's it.

Surrealist.
03-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Are you able to zip that file and upload it?

You can download 7 zip. It is free.

There are about 3 possible reasons that your model is doing that. One is this:

You are in subpatch mode and when you press tab you get a message that says you can only subpatch polygons that are 3 or 4 points. You click OK an the polys that re 3 or 4 point polygons will subpatch and the others will not, giving you a very similar effect.

You will also get this effect if your polygons are not actually connected but seeing that it looks like some of the polygons are subpatched and others are not I am going to guess it is the above.

You can also have 2 point polys that might cause that too.

Go to your polygons statistics window w on the keyboard in polygon select mode and see if you have and <4 sided polygons and or 2 point polys.

Click the + next to the 2 point polys to select them and then delete them.

Those are just a couple of possibilities. You could have also pasted or mirrored the object onto istelf which could cause a similar effect.

If I could download the object, I could tell you which. But maybe you have enough info to sort it out now.

toby
03-11-2007, 10:14 PM
You might also want to try *staying* in subpatch mode while modeling. Some things you'd do in poly modeling will never work in subpatch, and some things you need to do in subpatch you'd never think to do in polys. Not to mention being able to see exactly what effect your modifications have right away.

Sentinel45
03-14-2007, 05:10 PM
You might also want to try *staying* in subpatch mode while modeling. Some things you'd do in poly modeling will never work in subpatch, and some things you need to do in subpatch you'd never think to do in polys. Not to mention being able to see exactly what effect your modifications have right away.

I've been trying that... the more I try to make adjustments for the model the more it falls apart. I converted to subpatch mode... merge points only worked so much. I tried to add some more polygons and ended up with a model that was partly subpatched. When I tried to undo this, I ended up with a mess.

I am ready to toss the entire model out (yet again) and start over. Anyway, thanks for all of the tips from everyone... I'll keep you posted.

Sentinel45
03-14-2007, 05:12 PM

You are in subpatch mode and when you press tab you get a message that says you can only subpatch polygons that are 3 or 4 points. You click OK an the polys that re 3 or 4 point polygons will subpatch and the others will not, giving you a very similar effect.

You will also get this effect if your polygons are not actually connected but seeing that it looks like some of the polygons are subpatched and others are not I am going to guess it is the above.

Go to your polygons statistics window w on the keyboard in polygon select mode and see if you have and <4 sided polygons and or 2 point polys.

Those are just a couple of possibilities. You could have also pasted or mirrored the object onto istelf which could cause a similar effect.

If I could download the object, I could tell you which. But maybe you have enough info to sort it out now.

I have a total mess, now. I'm at the point I want to throw the entire model out and start over. Still though, thanks for all of the tips.

toby
03-14-2007, 09:47 PM
I've been trying that... the more I try to make adjustments for the model the more it falls apart. I converted to subpatch mode... merge points only worked so much. I tried to add some more polygons and ended up with a model that was partly subpatched. When I tried to undo this, I ended up with a mess.
Sorry, staying in subpatch mode is not a fix for a model that's already got problems, it's a way to avoid them - most schools recommend this method too.

geothefaust
03-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Surrealist pointed out all the possible problems. I wouldn't scrap your model quite yet, but instead find out exactly what it is you're doing wrong and fix it. It is most likely a a 2 point poly or a ngon.

Sentinel45
03-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Surrealist pointed out all the possible problems. I wouldn't scrap your model quite yet, but instead find out exactly what it is you're doing wrong and fix it. It is most likely a a 2 point poly or a ngon.

I finally managed to patch the model. After about 13 hours of work (non-stop) I went back and repatched the model... removing and creating new splines when the 'curves didn't match correctly" error popped up. At this point I removed the curves from the model, leaving only the subpatches. I don't know what happened, but everything merged together the way it was supposed to.

I've attached a picture. Still needs a lot of work. I still have to make Godzilla's eyes and backplates. I took a background from Vue 5 so you can see the model better.

Sentinel45
03-20-2007, 07:56 PM

I did try what you suggested w/ the statistics window. I was able to find the 2 point polys and I deleted them. I went through the whole wireframe and made sure I had 4 polygons for each patch, with very few exceptions. The holes are greatly reduced. The model is looking better.

Here's a pic.

Surrealist.
03-20-2007, 09:14 PM
What type of subpatch are you using? Are you using Catmull Clark or Subpatch mode? Also what is your setting for the subpatch level in modeler?

The model as you have shown it seems to look like it is not subpatched. Could you change the color to grey or white and show a version in textured wire? And finally are you showing that in Layout or modeler? If you could show it closer as well that would be nice. Anyway indeed much improvement.