PDA

View Full Version : Vid card question

prospector
03-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Does anyone use the s-video out from card to TV?
is pic any good?

Reason I am asking is I see some TV flatscreens with computer hookups or s-video hookups, but they all seem to be only 768 high. And was thinking about getting one about in the 37" range.

eagleeyed
03-07-2007, 07:58 PM
I have a three monitor setup, my main 19" wide, a 17" CRT Secondary and a 51CM TV third. I only ever use the TV when I want to know what the final product will look like on a stardard TV. I never use it for app work, quality is terrible for that kind of stuff. Text is near impossible to read unless decent size and it can really stuff up your eyesight for a while after.

prospector
03-07-2007, 08:41 PM
yea, that's what I was remembering from Amiga days, but see the big guys coming out with computer resolutions now so thought they may have gotten better.

oh well.

T-Light
03-08-2007, 12:33 AM
'S Video' ?. Wouldn't that only output about 500 lines anyway? :confused:

Here's another question, are there any of the large HD TV's kitted out with digital monitor 'in' connection? I kept seeing windows media centre on large high def's last year and never gave it a second thought.

eagleeyed
03-08-2007, 05:24 PM
'S Video' ?. Wouldn't that only output about 500 lines anyway? :confused:

Here's another question, are there any of the large HD TV's kitted out with digital monitor 'in' connection? I kept seeing windows media centre on large high def's last year and never gave it a second thought.

A few of the HD TV's at my local Dick Smiths store (Australian so probably a bit behind America's technology) do have DVI inputs. The thing that made me wonder is that one of them had a VGA port on it instead of DVI, I thought that was getting phased out.

At that store though, they are not using the DVI port to present Media Centre, they are using the 3 RCA Hi Def cables out the back of a Nvidia Card. I'm wondering if that has any better quality for that sort of use.

prospector
03-08-2007, 05:55 PM
yea I was thinking of this with compy connection or s-vid connection;
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2746087&CatId=386

mainly worried about 768 size as 768 on monitor here makes very big Icons.