PDA

View Full Version : Curious about Lightwave upgrades

MiniFireDragon
06-19-2003, 11:28 AM
I bought the 8.0 upgrade and of course, comes the 7.5 upgrade with it. I am unsure as to how I am to recieve the package. Does it come with a new dongle? Or am I going to be recieving a link to where to download it at and use my old hardware lock? It's been a day and I am already anxious. :) I know it is just software.

MiniFireDragon
06-19-2003, 02:22 PM
What is this?? 24 views but no one wants to speak?

Macet01
06-19-2003, 05:04 PM
When I upgraded form 5.6 to 7.5 all I had to do was call Newtek and get a new key. I am still using the Dongle (Hardware Lock) that came with 5.6.

Did you get DFX with your upgrade?

MiniFireDragon
06-19-2003, 09:01 PM
the DFX package was why I upgraded. I hope it's not to much of hassle to get the integrated DFX+ and Lightwave 8 dongle when they get it done.

Macet01
06-20-2003, 07:10 AM
I wasn't aware that they were going to be integrating the dongles. I prepurchased Lightwave 8 and rec'd DFX+. It came with it's own dongle, separate from the one I am using for Lightwave now. Having both of them connected at the same time works just fine.

MiniFireDragon
06-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Here is the conversation with the makers of DFX:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 10:02 AM
To: sales
Subject: Dfx+

Can you please tell me the difference between DFX+ and Digital Fusion 4??

If I just got DFX+ without any modules, what does the program do? I looked at the Digital Fusion product sheet, but I was unable to figure out what DFX doesn't do that Digital Fusion 4 does.

Ernest

----response----

The main difference is the bit rate for color sampling. DFX+ is a 8bit output (video) while Digital Fusion is floating point (film).

You are correct in DFX+ will do almost all of what Digital Fusion will do. Where DFX+ is a video product that is built up using the modules to build a complete tool set.
Here is a link to the community page http://www.eyeonline.com/community/index.html. Lurk on a forum or post and find out what the users are doing.

Is your copy a OEM bundle with a DPS or Newtek system??????

Let me know if I can be of assistance with getting started.

Pete McDowell

2nd email

Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 1:15 PM
To: Pete McDowell
Subject: Re: Ernest S. McCloskey III/DFX+ vs. DF

I will be buying an upgrade to Lightwave 8.0 which says it comes with DFX+. Is there any limiters on this package??

---response---

If you purchase a Lightwave 8.0 it will ship when Newtek has it finished. $495 version 7.5 to 8.0
DFX+ 4.02 is a OEM that is bundled with... but will ship now. It also includes the modules (1) visual effects and (4) 3D tools.
Yours to enjoy now and start learning with the courseware package included.

p.

Pete McDowell

3rd email

Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 4:45 PM
To: Pete McDowell
Subject: Re: Ernest S. McCloskey III/DFX+ vs. DF

OEM?? As in crippled or not? Can I add additional modules later?? Or OEM as in need Lightwave Dongle to work?

---response---

Hi Ernest.
The DFX+ 4.02 package that's bundled is a stand alone product that any or all modules can be added to at a later date........ or not.
The package that ships now has it's own dongle. It is not locked to any lightwave at this moment.( it will be soon).
OEM may not be the right wording, sorry for any confusion. It's much more as a distribution deal.
I hope this answers your questions.

p.

Pete McDowell

That is what I found out about the DFX+ package. AS you see, they do plan on integrating the program with lightwaves dongle.

:)

Still no answer on my question stated above. I emailed newtek last night (after hours) so hopefully to hear back soon.

Macet01
06-20-2003, 11:05 AM
That's interesting. I didn't know that they would be integrated like that. Now you have me wondering if there is going to be any integration of the two packages through the hub..... Thanx for the info.

Aegis
06-20-2003, 02:44 PM
Hmm... this ain't gonna please the Mac users who are already upset about PC software being bundled with their LW 7.5 -> 8 upgrades - Chuck mentioned that if you couldn't (or chose not to) use DFX+ then you could always sell it but if it's keyed to your LightWave dongle that's not going to be possible - unless NewTek/Eyeon offer a seperate dongle but I guess you'll have to pay for that... :confused: