PDA

View Full Version : Interface changes.....

Snosrap
03-07-2007, 07:57 AM
a quote from Jay Roth in the most recent LW3D New Special Edition "LightWave is migrating from its tab-based interface to the more traditional menu-based interface." I hope this is a Mac thing only, because I like the tab based interface. Especially if "traditional menu-based interface" means drop-downs. I hate those things! NT needs to be careful - I think a lot of what users like is the no-nonsense interface and the fact that it's not a typical MS or MAC interface is just fine with me.

Snosrap

mattclary
03-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Word.

Gui Lo
03-07-2007, 08:38 AM
I don't mind what NewTek do as long as LW keeps the words rather than resort to icons.
Also if a menu system is used then the features must be accessable with a 3 click maximum.

prospector
03-07-2007, 08:46 AM
:i_agree:

Tabs should stay..it's a LW thing from beginning...why ruin something nice

Phil
03-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Well if they keep tabs, they need to sort out the text cropping that goes on. Witness the tabs under the dynamics tab of object properties. Irritating and unusable are two words that come to mind.

Lightwolf
03-07-2007, 09:34 AM
I'd even expand the tabs... click on them for a longer duration and get a pop-up containing the complete menu (without actually switching tabs)...

The text cropping could be solved by either making it horizontally stretchable.

I also think this was refering to the tabs in the main UI, not the tabs within panels - I don't see any way to or sense in replacing those with OS drop down menus...

Cheers,
Mike

krimpr
03-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I think Jay's only kidding. Just you watch... the next newsletter will announce an icon-based interface. These guys can be such kidders.

prospector
03-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Icons?.......ptawwweeee...I spit on thee icons

Kurtis
03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
The changes he's referring to are specific to the Universal Edition.

Chilton
03-07-2007, 11:24 AM
We're moving to an entirely speech driven interface. You'll probably want to start memorizing the commands as soon as possible.

Actually, the UB will soon have a fully featured, traditional Mac menu in addition to the one in the app. However, this feature is too important for us to make the decision without input from our users. So there's a poll regarding this in the Mac Universal Binary Workshop area right now.

If you're a Mac user, and have an opinion on this in the Mac version, please let me know in that poll! If you're not a Mac user, don't worry, I promise it won't affect you.

-Chilton

prospector
03-07-2007, 11:43 AM
wheeww..safe:)

Phil
03-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Ahah. Speech driven. Excellent. How good is the swear word handling? Are you going to implement a routine to delete polys based on the swear level? :D

More seriously, is there a mockup of what you are proposing? It's hard to vote on something without knowing most of the ramifications :)

mattclary
03-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Ahah. Speech driven. Excellent. How good is the swear word handling? Are you going to implement a routine to delete polys based on the swear level? :D

OK, I see I wasn't the only one who was thinking I should map "undo" to the f word... :thumbsup:

nthused
03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Yep. Some screen shots would be great - 1) out of curiosity and 2) I'm planning on porting over to mac within the next 6 months.

BTW, how will the UB work with Leopard (Apple's new 64 bit OS due early this year)? IE, will we be able to access all of our glorious RAM? :)

Thanks again, NewTek!

mattclary
03-07-2007, 12:46 PM
No chance this would run under Linux is there? What with OS X supposedly being Unix based and all...

zapper1998
03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
:i_agree:

Tabs should stay..it's a LW thing from beginning...why ruin something nice

Tabs should stay..

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

If this happens.....

GIVE US THE OPTION BETWEEN THE 2

Kuzey
03-08-2007, 04:07 AM
I thought tabs were a Mac thing ever since Safari came out :hey:

The problem with the LW tabs is that they are broken, they are basically disconnected from what they control.

A new user who clicks on a tab would expect the whole window to change while the button panel stays the same because there is no vistual relationship between the two :beta:

:help:

Ps I'm not saying that's a bad way of doing it, one gets used to it quickly.

Ps. #2 I do love Mike's mouse down idea!

Kuzey