PDA

View Full Version : Can you boolean subtract after Catmull?

wmengel
03-07-2007, 05:57 AM
I used catmull on an object and then tried to subtract another object from it. Boolean add would work, but boolean subtract would not. Can you not boolean subtract after you used Catmull?

Captain Obvious
03-07-2007, 07:27 AM
No.

Exception
03-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Sucks.

I guess you can freeze your object...

geothefaust
03-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Why not just do your boolean operation before you turn the object in to CC? I don't see why that wouldn't/shouldn't work.

Exception
03-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Why not just do your boolean operation before you turn the object in to CC? I don't see why that wouldn't/shouldn't work.

Doh... :bangwall:

Like searching for the keys you have in your hand.

Wonderpup
03-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Booleans and sub d's don't really like each other much- booleans tend to create a lot of messy geometry which takes a lot of cleanup.

geothefaust
03-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Exception... Hehe, sometimes it is. :D

Booleans and sub d's don't really like each other much- booleans tend to create a lot of messy geometry which takes a lot of cleanup.

True... But sometimes it's just the ends you're looking for.

jin choung
03-07-2007, 07:20 PM
yah, the idea of what you're after when you're trying to boolean from a subd object is not really achievable using subds unfortunately.

precision results can be achieved if you froze all parties first but then you have the disadvantage of being stuck at a really hi res without any "history" to modify the post booleaned shape.

for the effect you are after, this is basically when it is better to use nurbs/trim but nurbs are not to be found in lw.

usually, you can work around it though by NOT relying on subds or by not relying on boolean ops.

jin

Andyjaggy
03-07-2007, 08:43 PM
I just generally try to avoid booleans, but sometimes they can be very usefull. I have never used the with a sub D object before, sound slike trouble to me.

spiroz
03-09-2007, 10:47 AM
There are some shader plug-ins that can be useable in some situations,
especially when it comes to animated boolean..
http://flay.com/getdetail.cfm?ID=1784

I'd love to see something similar as a node-version though..
(hmm.. or maybe it's even possible with existing nodes..?)