PDA

View Full Version : slicing edges

perrydrake
03-06-2007, 02:25 PM
is there a way to pick a loop and place two more loops next to it on either side as if you were using the knife tool?

thanks

Giacomo99
03-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. BandSawPro might be of some help.

perrydrake
03-06-2007, 03:54 PM
select one loop like this and add one on each side of it at a numeric distance.

Giacomo99
03-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I'd use BandSaw twoce--once on each of the two loops of polys you'e trying to divide.

perrydrake
03-06-2007, 04:15 PM
yes, i could also use the knife 4 times. i really don't want to do that.

Surrealist.
03-06-2007, 04:59 PM
You can think of it slightly differently:

Select the polygon loop that includes the edge you want to split and use multishift with inset only (ctl key). You can use the numeric requestor to do the math in reverse.

If you want to only isolate the ege you can use edge bevel but then you'd have to spit it to get the edge in the middle again with BSP.

The nice thing about multishift is you can have more than one cut (right click) and you can delete cuts or add them readjust cuts by choosing "next" and "previous" all on the fly, with or without the numeric requestor and you can quick store for the curent session or save the profile for later use.

The downside to this in relation to your request is that it will drag along the outer geometry. So, if your center loop is not of the same geometry to the outer loops, this may not be what you want.

If you want to duplicate the center geometry I would say use edge bevel and then split it. That might be more to your liking than bandsaw on each side.

perrydrake
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
yeah, it just doesn't seem very intuitive. it seems there should be a way to select that edge loop and add in more based on it's position. it's probably something really simple i'm missing. i'll just use the knife tool.

Surrealist.
03-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Well you can just use extender plus (e) and then with the points still selected use the move tool. If you are looking foir an exact way to duplicate that loop extender is the tool. I was trying to come up with a way to split it on either side of the edge. With extender plus you'd have to do it twice, but you can use the numeric panel to duplicate the exact move with a + or - instead. Also remember that the knife tool has a numeric requester you can use to place it exactly.

The tools in modeler will become more intuitive the more you use them - especially multishift which at first can seem a little awkward. It is a very powerful little tool when you learn what it can do.

donny
03-07-2007, 08:21 AM
If you want to split it evenly then Band Saw Pro is one of the easier ways to go since you can use it with the Numerics.

Surrealist.
03-07-2007, 12:17 PM
If you want to split it evenly then Band Saw Pro is one of the easier ways to go since you can use it with the Numerics.

True.

I think it would be nice to have a tool that split the edge and keeps the middle. I like the idea. Kind of a cross between extender plus and edge bevel.

If it were me though, and I was faced with this dilema, and I needed this feature - that is, to split two copys of an edge evenly and keep the middle - for speed and interactive funtionality I would choose Edge bevel and then one bandsaw pro down the middle at the default of 50%. So in two simple steps, I have accomplished my aim with a fair balance of interactivity and numeric acuracy.

But every modeling problem poses its own set of barriers and variables bedending on the particular situation.

If for example, I wanted to do this (as I had described above with multishift) on an edge what was truely a loop - that is, the same geometry on the bordering edges - I would choose multishift as it would be faster and more powerful of a solution given the various features of this tool.

But again it just depends and I think if there is not a plugin around that does this, or a funtion of a tool I have forgotten - :) - I think such a thing would clearly be useful, and thus in order.