PDA

View Full Version : Space Navigator users?

Chilton
03-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi,

Any 3D Connexion users in here?

-Chilton

HowardBerry
03-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I saw a good review in Mac User this month; but I've not got one. I didn't think they worked with LightWave?

Chilton
03-06-2007, 01:45 PM
They don't work *yet*.

-Chilton

gstonebank
03-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I would get one if Lightwave was on their list of supported software.

harlan
03-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah, now that it's available on the Mac, if Lightwave supported it I'd be interested in picking one up.

John the Geek
03-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Just ordered one.

=)

dglidden
03-06-2007, 05:47 PM
It looks like the griffin powermate? (Only with more DOF presumably) I've always wanted an excuse to get something like that.

What's with the goofy dual-pricing deal? How can you dual-price hardware and claim the cheaper price is for "Personal Use Only"???

John the Geek
03-08-2007, 08:32 AM
It looks like the griffin powermate? (Only with more DOF presumably) I've always wanted an excuse to get something like that.

What's with the goofy dual-pricing deal? How can you dual-price hardware and claim the cheaper price is for "Personal Use Only"???

If you want to use it at work to model Big Ben in an upcoming feature film directed by Peter jackson you're company will need to pay for a commercial license. If you want to use it at home to fly around Google Earth you can buy a personal use copy.

Why the distinction? Are they just being cheap [email protected]? Are they trying to milk commercial business and spare the home user at the same time?

Who knows, but I'll buy the cheaper one if it's the same thing.

dglidden
03-08-2007, 08:58 AM
I just don't see how they want to get away with dual-licensing *hardware*. You've sold me a device, it's MINE. I can do with it what I please. It's like buying a car and having the dealer tell you "If you want to use it to drive to work, it's gonna cost you an extra $5k." (Oh gods did I say that? Please don't let any car dealers get any bright ideas...)

John the Geek
03-08-2007, 09:02 AM
And if it's a license, can they demand it be returned? Do they have the right to tell me I can no longer use it? Did I buy it or license it?

I don't like where this is going. Is this a joint Logitech/Microsoft product?

John the Geek
03-09-2007, 12:01 PM
It arrived.

It's pretty.

It's useless.

I can't customize it. It's got two little buttons that can be set to keystrokes, etc. but the navigator itself is dead weight unless the vendor builds a plugin for the app you want to use it with. It works in Google Sketchup, with Google Earth support eventually (the description failed to mention that it only works in Windows at this time.)

So, maybe someday it will be nice. But for now it's a paperweight.

=(

dglidden
03-15-2007, 11:34 PM
That's quite ... lame. I would have hoped it would at least identify itself as a HID-class device. Even if you didn't get all the features of it, that way it would at least be somewhat usable. Well, you know what they say, "Better you than me." ;)

Red_Oddity
03-16-2007, 03:02 AM
I tried using it (in Maya), and even though it works, it seems so useless, i mean, my left hand is on the keyboard permanently anyway, with my thumb always on the ALT button so navigation is never a problem.
I found my workflow even less proficient when using this device in combination with my keyboard and mouse, sure, the fact that i couldnīt get used to the device doesnīt help either, but still.

simondlambert
05-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Folks,

Has anyone from the Newtek LW development team passed any comment on this issue? It might not be a no.1 priority feature, but then almost no single thing you can name is. So, do we have an idea if this is even on their radar somewhere, or have they actually said that they're not going to bother with it?

73 de Simes