PDA

View Full Version : An extra gig of RAM

adrian
03-06-2007, 01:21 AM
I'm thinking of having an extra GIG of RAM in my machine (I currently have "only" 1GIG). Just wondering whether this will make much difference in LW? Presumably scenes with lots of high-res textures will be handled better? ie load quicker?

I know it won't make a scrap of difference to render times but if it helps LW run a little smoother when I have high-poly subpatched objects loaded, then it will be worth the money.

Lightwolf
03-06-2007, 01:26 AM
Check your task manager (windows, right?). If your system is using more than the gig you have now, then it will make a difference.

I'd say nowadays 2GB is the minimum for a machine you intend to work on seriously.

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
03-06-2007, 02:46 AM
Adding more memory doesn't really improve Lightwave performance. What it does, is that it keeps Lightwave from crashing.

Dan_NT
03-06-2007, 08:33 AM
I'd recommend more than a gig if you intend to do some large, print resolution renders, it's really not going to be utilized any other way. Don't go crazy on RAM though: Windows won't allow you to use more than 2GB for any one program anyway.

64-bit is a different story though, it allows each program to access more RAM and increases the systems maximum RAM limit. Although I doubt you'd even get to the 8GB RAM limit a 32-bit system has (motherboard manufacturers also put their own limit on the system not to exceed 8GB)

adrian
03-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Well 1Gig is going to cost a fair bit so I'll stick with that I reckon. I've booked my machine in for tomorrow. I hope that means that I will be able to render one of my scenes that currently LW cannot handle due to all the textures - not to mention taking 25 MINUTES to load the object!

adrian
03-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Well I had my RAM fitted yesterday and these are my findings so far:

On the one scene that took 25 minutes to load previously it now takes:

LW8.3 - 2mins 32secs
LW9.0 - 35secs

so you could say that's a slight improvement :thumbsup:

Also, the scene now actually renders whereas before LW would just bomb out.

As for performance, no difference but as LW9.0 seems to be better at handling subpatch objects that's not a problem (I still use version 8 mostly at the moment but that'll change once I get my hands on Dan Ablan's Inside LW9 book).

So all in all I'm well chuffed I spent 230 gettting the extra memory.

arsad
03-08-2007, 03:07 PM
230 Pounds for 1 gig of ram? Either you have a very special machine or you
paid a lot to much for the memory.

adrian
03-09-2007, 03:04 AM
Actually it was also for half a day's labour, plus a new power supply and fan. The place where I go is not the cheapest but I can always trust them to do a good job.

Glendalough
03-09-2007, 04:41 AM
Adding more memory doesn't really improve Lightwave performance. What it does, is that it keeps Lightwave from crashing.

Hi Captain,

Sorry for barging in here, but just wondering if this is true on a Macintosh as well?

I.E. if the scene loads and renders okay, it ain't going to go any faster with more ram?

Captain Obvious
03-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi Captain,

Sorry for barging in here, but just wondering if this is true on a Macintosh as well?

I.E. if the scene loads and renders okay, it ain't going to go any faster with more ram?
Yes. Unless you start hitting the swap, more RAM does not really speed things up.

Glendalough
03-09-2007, 07:54 AM
hitting the swap

Thanks!

But...Ah...Dah...What does this mean?

arsad
03-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Swap = swap file
as soon as all of your physical Ram is used, windows will use the swap file
as memory and as it is a file on your HD, it will be much slower!

Glendalough
03-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Swap = swap file
as soon as all of your physical Ram is used, windows will use the swap file
as memory and as it is a file on your HD, it will be much slower!

Thanks for the explanation.