PDA

View Full Version : ClothFX, and CollisionFX

Foxfur
03-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey there.

I'm in the process of doin' some textile works. I found 3D as a great tool for unfolding shapes.

I've been looking for tutorials on how to use clothFX on an object, so it'll fold out, when it hits a flat surface, and also I'm looking for collisionFX tutorials, to find out how to make the object actually hit the surface.

I've found a damn lot of stuff about it, but never a description on how to make them work, I know they're under OBJ Properties > dynamics, but I can't make them work. Nothing happens and I'm soon out of settings.

Can anyone come up with some really well described tutorials, or really cut in out in cardboard for me?

I would really be happy!

Thanks!

- Foxfur

Surrealist.
03-05-2007, 12:38 PM
If you could post some pictures of what exactly you are trying to do that would help.

As far as Hard FX collision, one thing that might not be that obvious is you have to have two assignments. One as a collision object and one as a hard FX object.

I am not sure if you have access to Dan Ablan's LW 8 book. He has some good tutorials on both Cloth and Hard FX there. Try a google search and you should find some tutorials on the web as well.

Foxfur
03-05-2007, 03:11 PM
I've uploaded a pic...it's the model parts that I want to fall onto the large plane, and by then, fold out and lie flat on the plane.

I don't recall the book, but I could try search the ISBN# and try if my local book store could get it home.

As for the web I've searched pretty much. Not everywhere, but I'm going nuts of reading through so much, heh.

Therefore I thought that someone might have a bookmark to a TUT ot something :)

- Foxfur

Dodgy
03-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Add clothFX to your model, and in the Etc tab, set gravity Y to -9. Select Cotton thin in the presets drop down below it. In the Collision tab, set the Collision to All. Set Collision Offset to about 1/20th of the size of your mesh, though this kind of depends on the density of your mesh, if your mesh is more dense, you can make this smaller. Set Bounce to 100% (I think, this might be 0% trying to remember offhand)

Add Collision to your table and set it's type to Plane. Set the Collison offset/level to 0 so it's below your object. You might have to turn the Bounce to 100% so the cloth just lands on the table not bounces off it again.

Press calculate and the dog should fall down and spread out on the table.

Hope this helps.

Foxfur
03-06-2007, 07:28 AM
wow! Thank you very very much! Now it finally works, after my computer froze a couple times, and the object geometry disappeared as well.

Now just comes a lot of testings to find out where to make the seams, and maybe make a bouncing ball to push it a little around to make it lie right, without folds. I guess I can find out the rest from now on!

Just one more thing. This is out of the pattern work. now it's animation: If I want my character to be able to touch himself without going through himself, is it then the "self collision" set to all?

Also I want to make him walk on a surface. Some hills, without falling through. shall I then give him the hardFX, or is that also the collisionFX, and set the type to object-subdiv.?

Sorry if I askk too stupid, but this is so confusing to me.

Thank you very very much! *kneels*

All the best
- Foxfur :)

Dodgy
03-06-2007, 07:46 AM
If I want my character to be able to touch himself without going through himself, is it then the "self collision" set to all?

Also I want to make him walk on a surface. Some hills, without falling through. shall I then give him the hardFX, or is that also the collisionFX, and set the type to object-subdiv.?
You really shouldn't be using dynamics for that kind of thing. Virtually all that kind of stuff uses hand set keyframes unless you want a character that is little more than a blow up doll. Dynamics is for layering on top of hand-animated/ motion captured keyframes, to give parts of the character wobbling, things of a secondary nature. You can use IK booster to do kind of rag doll dynamics, the kind of thing you see in computer games when characters die, but mostly dynamics are for adding secondary motion or things like explosions or car crashes, that kind of thing.

Foxfur
03-06-2007, 07:59 AM
aHa. IK Booster. thanks for the hint. I guess I'll wait till later with all that stuff, but I'll keep it in mind. For now I just need this cloth thing, and it seems to be working pretty well so far.

Thanks for helping me!